Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Self-Conceit

I was thinking about my last post today and realized it probably sounds like I'm trying to guilt everyone into giving up restaurants and abandoning culinary school. Or worse, it feels like me giving myself a nice big self-conceited pat on the back. That would be awful and it's not at all what I was going for.


Being a little self-conceited in my own discovery that I made the right choice in not pursuing culinary school, I thought I'd share my reasons and somehow I got lost in a tirade on the food industry. I certainly believe everything I wrote, but I don't want to get lost in the trees and never find the forest: I'm not a chef and have no formal culinary training and I'm happy with that.

It's also not my intent to guilt anyone into giving up their favorite restaurants, favorite foods or personal dreams. I'm just sharing what I believe and what I hope will benefit others. At very least, I hope anyone reading this blog will just stop and evaluate what I'm blogging. We're all filled with a little self-conceit and we all think we've got everything figured out. We always have reasons (or excuses) for what we do or why we do it. But I've been challenging my own way of thinking recently and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same. Don't just accept whatever is easiest - does it make sense and is it the right thing to do?

I hope if you get nothing else of value out of reading my blog, you at least get this much: 1) love and 2) responsibility. Cooking is just a nice 3rd.



2 comments:

  1. Self conceit can taste delicious, too. Mine -- regarding how I'm too smart for real work -- tastes like an aged Beamster cheese, 26 months or more, paired with an vintage tawny port.

    ReplyDelete