Saturday, August 6, 2011

Waking up in Virginia



This blog has nothing to do with food and everything to do with love. And missing those I love.

If you're connected with me via Twitter, Facebook, FourSquare, or LinkedIn, you'll probably have noticed that I've been updating a lot. A LOT. At least once an hour, sometimes more like once every half hour. And sometimes with blow-by-blow action shots of food-in-transformation. Which might be perfect if you were some kind of food-crazed stalker determined to kidnap a sticky bun, but for everyone else it must seem obnoxious.

To be fair, I have been experimenting with all the different social media outlets and methods for linking them all together to achieve time-saving efficiencies of communication. I've decided I prefer Tumblr for food updates because it's so easy to snap a picture and post - and food just isn't the same without a picture. I've decided I prefer FourSquare for location updates because those little maps pinpointing my mundane adventures prove that I do indeed leave the apartment. Facebook is the hub for all my friends and Twitter is the hub for everything else. I'm still not sure what to do with LinkedIn - it's for professionals and somehow I'm not really a professional of anything right now.

But this obnoxious flood of posts is really because I don't want to lose any of you.

A week ago, I didn't realize that. A week ago, I just wanted to hook all my online profiles together to make it easier for me to update content and make it easy to post new updates. A week ago, I was craving sticky buns and felt a compulsive need to share my quest. A week ago, I was still thinking of the apartment as a vacation away from the home we sold back in Cleveland.

Today, for what feels like the first time, I woke up in Virginia.

I'm hundreds of miles away from friends, in Virginia. I'm hundreds of miles away from family, in Virginia. I'm hundreds of miles away from my adopted nephews, in Virginia. I only know three people in Virginia. I kind of don't want to explore, I kind of don't want to leave the apartment, I kind of don't want to leave the safety bubble of everyone I love back hundreds of miles, in Virginia.

So I'm flooding your streams with updates because I don't want to fade into a reference. I want to be part of your lives, even hundreds of miles away. I don't want to let myself lapse into lazy silence and early hermitage (because everyone knows I'm prone to communication blackouts). I don't want to stop the obnoxious posting in case I stop posting all together - and fade.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a depressive post. I am happy here in Virginia: I love the apartment, I love the opportunity to cook, write and blog, I love the weather, I love the beach - but I love you more. And I miss you. So as obnoxious as 50 updates per day may sound, brace yourselves because I don't plan to let up. There's a whole lot of love spewing in your direction.





No comments:

Post a Comment