Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tuesday Tutor: Taking a Break from Me



My blog is supposed to be all about love. Sometimes with all the cooking, baking and picture-taking, the love part of the blog gets lost in an obsession to create something new. To create that next killer post. To watch with glazed eyes as the Google Analytics traffic graphic spikes gloriously ::claps hands together::


But it's time to get back to love - which is what this post is all about. Cooking can be an awesome way to demonstrate love when it's about the other person (and not about stroking our own ego or basking in self-triumph). There's nothing wrong with achieving success and recognizing that success in ourselves, but if you're like me, recognition becomes an addictive drug. An obsession to seek out recognition. And love is lost.

So I need to get back to love and showing love for other people. I need to stop obsessing over success or failure. I need to stop staring tragically at blank screens. I need to stop making food just to test recipes. Without love, I'm wasting my time.


Hence, once a week I will be taking a break from own self-obsessive world to refocus on others. I will take a break from tweaking and testing and re-writing to just relax with another blogger's recipe. It will be a chance to think about someone other than myself. To cook with love, write with love and share with love.  Because that's what my blog is supposed to be about. 

Thus I'm calling this the "Tuesday Tutor" series as I will rely on another blogger to be my tutor for the day. I will ask the selected blogger to take center-stage, allow me to follow their original recipe and bask in praise as I devour and blog about the final results. The Tuesday Tutor series is not about me. It's all about others.

Selected recipes will meet three criteria in keeping with the themes of my blog:
  1. From scratch: I have blogged exhaustively about my perspective on shortcuts in the kitchen (cans, boxed mixes, preprepared foods, etc) and I cannot in good conscience feature recipes riddled with these shortcuts. I may make an exception if I can find a successful from scratch workaround.
     
  2. Dye-free (mostly): I love drooling over gorgeously decorated cupcakes, cookies and pastries - don't we all? But I'm increasingly uncomfortable with consuming vast quantities of artificial food dyes. So I will avoid all recipes where food dye is an integral ingredients (e.g. red velvet cake made with food dye).
     
  3. Author agreement: I only want to feature bloggers who want to be featured, so I if I am unable to secure a blogger's consent, I will respect the author's copyright-protected work.
Shall I get started?

Here are the 3 recipes I am contemplating for the first Tuesday Tutor post. If the authors agree, I plan to feature each of these recipes in the near future. But the real question is, how do I ever pick the first one?

Posted by Shop.Cook.Make
Why I want to make this: Quite frankly, I want to eat more beans and this is such an ingenious way to scarf down more. Besides, I love oat flour and I don't use it nearly enough.


Tempt 2: Pumpkin Bars
Why I want to make this: I have yet to make ANYTHING with pumpkin. Ever. Not just this year or this season. I have NEVER made anything with pumpkin. Oh, and I adore cream cheese frosting paired  with spices.


Tempt 3: Naan
Posted by eCurry
Why I want to make this: I am a bread fiend and crave carbs like I have the metabolism of a 16-year-old. And naan is particularly wonderful, so soft and flat and delicious. I don't know if I can restrain myself...







5 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you're gonna try my recipe. Instead of oil, you can use butter to make the crust flakier (and quite frankly, butter tastes better). Also, if you have any leftovers from the bean mix, just pour it in a oven safe dish,cover with shredded parmesan and bake at 350 until the parmesan has melted and is golden brown. Eat it with chips or spread on toasted bread. You will thank me for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yadsia, now I'm positively itching to try this. In fact, I think I even have all the ingredients in house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly welcome to try and post about any of my recipes any time :) Thanks for inquiring...it's such a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy, thank you and can't wait! Cream cheese frosting is calling my name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just saying...if you ever wanted to do this with one of my recipes, that'd be totally OK with me...:P

    ReplyDelete