Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday Tutor: Featuring A Cup of Mai

Orange-Honey Madeleines


It's Tuesday again and high time I took a break from me and focused on someone else. Which is a lot more fun and rewarding than obsessing over myself. Or testing recipes over and over and over and over...

On Tuesdays, I feature an original recipe from another blogger: I make the recipe following the author's directions, I snap a few pictures, I taste the result - and I share everything I love about the recipe.

Confused? Read more about the details for Tuesday Tutor.


Today's Tuesday Tutor: A Cup of Mai
Selected Recipe: Orange-Honey Madeleines
Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cupofmai

My Tutor for today was the very talented Mai from the gorgeous and inspiring blog A Cup of Mai. Mai's blog is filled with beautifully photographed passions for food, fashion and home decor - and once you visit you can't help but fall in love. Even if you're single-minded in your obsession with food, you will still find yourself helplessly drooling over seemingly effortless home decorating. Trust me, if you're not following Mai, you really should be.

About the Author: 5 Fun Facts
  1. "I don't like answering my phone. Sometimes, my phone will ring. I look at who it is and then I get panic. "Should I answer it? Should I ignore it? - by the time I finish procrastinating, the phone will have stopped ringing and I am happy because I didn't have to make a decision. haha"
     
  2. "I have developed a weird obsession with mugs. Especially from Anthropology. So far I have collected about 15 different mugs."
     
  3. "I love, love, sriracha hot sauce."
     
  4. "I never had a birthday party. Yup even as a kid."
     
  5. "I have no problem whatsoever going out without makeup on. I probably only wear makeup one or two times a week. And I rarely take the time to do my hair. My hair is really long and takes forever to blow it dry, so I usually throw it into a bun or a pony tail and let it air dry. The only time I really take my time with it is when I'm going "out" out--to a party or on a date with my husband.  I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I don't take the time to wear makeup and do my hair--but it gives me more free time, which I like."
An example of Mai's amazing photography

There are so many scrumptious (and gorgeous) foods included in A Cup of Mai that choosing one to feature was not an easy task! In the end, the obvious choice was madeleines because 1) I've never attempted these delightful little cakes, 2) it was an excuse to buy something new for the kitchen and 3) Mai's recipe is EASY and FAST!

In fact, most of Mai's recipes are uncomplicated yet sophisticated - and who doesn't love that? And these madeleines were so beautiful and easy to make (yet delicately delicious), they've earned a spot on my list of go-to recipes for entertaining guests.
Original recipe courtesy of A Cup of Mai

Isn't this pan adorable?
You only need the tiniest amount of dry ingredients
1/2 teaspoon was a little less than the zest of an orange
Next time I might just put in the zest of 1 orange
Melted golden butter
Honey and vanilla are lovely complements to the orange zest 
I'm not sure if using a stand-mixer was appropriate for a recipe this small
Adding 2 Tablespoons of honey
I added the dry ingredients w/ the mixer on the lowest speed
And I folded in the melted butter by hand
Waiting for the batter to chill 3 hours felt like an eternity
But it's important, so no cheating
The chill time gave me ample opportunity to prep my new pan
You can see the batter has thickened nicely
The recipe says 1 Tablespoon of batter per madeleine
I'd recommend a generous Tablespoon
Because even then I had some batter left over
that went into a separate ramekin for baking
Check your madeleines after 7 minutes of baking
These were gorgeously golden at 8 minutes
Turning the madeleines out of the pan was easy
A firm tap and they slid right out
Eat immediately :) These are SOOO good warm


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • These delightful madeleines have a 3-hour chill-time that allows the batter to rest and the melted butter to re-firm, causing the dough to thicken nicely. So plan ahead and make the batter for these beauties either the night before (for a morning brunch) or first thing when you get up (for afternoon tea)
     
  • Generally, I don't like single-purpose pans like madeleine pans - but I'm glad I made the exception. While my pan will be primarily for these delicate little cakes, it can also be used to shape cookies, biscuits, etc. So if you're a fan of shell-shaped cakes (or other confections), this pan will be well worth the money
     
  • I know the recipe gives a bake-time of 8-10 minutes, but I would check the madeleines at 7 minutes. My oven runs a tiny bit hot, so at 8 minutes my madeleines were already deeply-browned (although still delicious)
     
  • Serve immediately! I believe madeleines are best served right out of the oven while still fragrant and warm and a little bit crispy around the edges. My boyfriend and I both LOVED these madeleines right after baking - warm orange fragrance wafts about as you scarf warm crumbs - but the next day (after cooling and resting a ziplock bag) the madeleines are softer, denser, and somehow less enjoyable
     
  • My boyfriend is a sugar-addict, so take this for what it's worth. He suggests glazing the madeleines once they come out of the oven and have cooled slightly. I'd recommend a very thin glaze if you go this route - maybe mix together a little juice from an orange with a little powdered confectioner's sugar and brush lightly over the tops of the madeleines

Other Must-Try Recipes from A Cup of Mai
Maybe you don't have a madeleine pan or cake just isn't your thing. But I guarantee you'll find something scrumptious at A Cup of Mai. Check out these mouth-watering eats and tell me you're not inspired!

Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
Vietnamese Egg Rolls
Breakfast in Bed for Mother's Day
Strawberry Mojito
Chicken and Rice Soup w/ Lemongrass



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I give all the credit to Mai's incredible recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful tutor feature....I make my own Madeleines....posted a recipe on my blog last year! LOVE this post!
    My blog has moved by the way...from blogger to Wordpress here:
    http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed and thanks for letting me know about your blog's move. I've updated my subscriptions =)

      Delete
  3. These look delicious!
    I just found your blog and I loved it! Am a happy follower now!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking me out and following - and for providing the link to your blog. I always love finding new foodies to stalk ;)

      Delete
  4. Thank you everyone for your kind comment. Im glad you liked them. Thanks Javelin, for having me over :)

    ReplyDelete