Thursday, April 5, 2012

Traveler Tip: Make Your Blog Mobile Friendly

Yesterday I spent 10 hours traveling from Virginia to Ohio to visit friends and family for the holiday. And generally when I visit family and friends, I try to cut the tether from my blog and spend my time catching up with loved ones.

But the drive is a different story. Typically I have about 5 hours of the drive riding in the passenger seat and searching for ways to pass the time. Like singing along with my playlist or staring up at the grill of the semi behind us. Or reading your blogs and attempting to leave feedback.

And then, in mid-comment, I hit a sad, sad snag. The dreadful CAPTCHA. Did you know that many mobile devices cannot successfully fill out the form? Like my iPhone. Every time I'm hit with a CAPTCHA form on my phone, I give up and discard my comment because the form will now allow me to leave the comment.

Now I get that there are spammers out there flooding innocent blogs with random links and propaganda of every type from websites and companies we've never heard of. But that's not my fault. And it's not the fault of any of your loyal readers. And quite frankly, wouldn't it be nice if your readers - who are taking 5 minutes of their day to leave you feedback - didn't have to pay the CAPTCHA price of spammers? Wouldn't it be nice if your readers could submit their feedback, smile happily when everything works, and leave your blog in a high note?

And from a purely selfish perspective, as a frequent mobile device user, PLEASE don't make me use CAPTCHA! If you're worried about spammers (just as I am), then require review and approval of each comment before it gets posted. That's what I do. And I rarely see spam.

So, from me to you, writing this plea from my phone, please make your blog mobile friendly and let me leave a comment. Cause I really want to.

With love,


8 comments:

  1. CAPTCHA is the devil. I hate it. However, I was annoyed to note, on a couple occasions blogger has switched my setting to word verification "on" even though I've had it on off. It's super annoying. So-if you ever encounter captcha on my site, let me know, bc you're not supposed to! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayle, fortunately I was able to leave comments on your blog b/c your CAPTCHA was turned off ;) So thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I'd never thought about captcha from a "mobile perspective" since I only have a regular phone (as opposed to fun one). But I have to believe it would be very frustrating... I mean, Captcha drives me nuts from a computer! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my phone all the time for blog reading & not sure how I'd survive w/o it ;) But even on a computer the CAPTCHA is just evil ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for making the hobby room a friendlier place to visit. I've never really given any thought to whether or not I had word verification on my comments, so I just checked. Lo and behold, it was switched to "Yes." Well, no longer. I really hate entering those codes and don't know how many times I've been in the same situation as you. I just hate deleting the comment because it took so long to compose on my phone, ugh. Anyway, enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody thank you so much for switching off your CAPTCHA - I couldn't leave comments on your blog via my phone but all fixed now :)

      Delete
  4. Amen to that JW! Thanks for pointing it out : ) Sometimes we can overlook something perceived as so harmless when in actuality it's a hurdle we're unable to jump over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy to be back on my laptop at home once again. Now when I meet the dreaded CAPTCHA I can actually fill it out and still submit my coment ;)

      Delete