Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday Tutor: Featuring Canela Kitchen

Chilean Corn Pudding
Chilean Traditional Corn Pies


Every Tuesday I choose a different friend to be my tutor for a day: I select one of their original recipes, I make the recipe following my friend's instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I scarf down as much as my belt-line will permit - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Read more about the details for Tuesday Tutor

Today's Tuesday Tutor: Canela Kitchen
My tutor today is Gloria from Canela Kitchen - a blog stuffed with a wonderful mix of traditional South American recipes, delicious baked goodies, and refreshing quick-fixes. Perhaps even more impressive, Gloria shares her recipes in both Spanish and translated English - which allows language-impaired folks like myself to easily enjoy foreign recipes.

I'm always curious to discover Gloria's newest creations. I am often introduced to unfamiliar ingredients and flavor pairing - and inspired with new ideas for changing up traditional recipes. So if you haven't already discovered Gloria's blog, it's time to expand your culinary horizons and check out Canela Kitchen.

About the Author: 5 Fun Facts
  1. "I love to read (really a lot) though now I read a lot of cooking book now I have a recipes blog and I have 2 subscriptions to Usa magazines, I read a lot in English like you know my first language is Spanish."
     
  2. "I love swimming."
     
  3. "I have twins they have 17 years We adopted 17 years ago yes they arrive home when they have 3 days. Is the most amazing of my life."
     
  4. "I love cook but especially baking, I learned about 12 years old because my mom was a cook teacher by many years, she cook amazing."
     
  5. "I love my blog I begin it 2007 and is amazing all the people I knew an still we are friends you know, someones are so special to me. I begin my blog because many people from England asked me recipes (I was in a british site) and I begin to translate all my recipes."
Author's Photo

Every time I select a recipe for a Tuesday Tutor post, I seem to have an ulterior motive - and today is no different. I love corn, but I don't have many recipes that use it. Sometimes I chuck it into shepherd's pie, sometimes I make confetti corn, and sometimes I just want to gnaw it off the cob.

So when I found Gloria's traditional chilean corn pies - well, let's just say I knew my search was over. Think of these pies as a little like mini shepherd's pie - except the potatoes are replaced with fresh corn paste. These pies are savory, sweet, and wonderfully comforting.

Original recipe courtesy of Canela Kitchen

Cover Eggs with Water
This recipe takes about 1 1/2 hours to prepare from start to finish, so it's best to overlap tasks.
Start by hard-boiling the eggs. While they're cooking, you can start on the corn mash.

Cover Pot and Bring to Boil
Cover the eggs with at least 1 inch of water, cover, and bring to a rolling boil.

Bring Eggs to Boil
As soon as the eggs reach a boil, remove from heat

Let Eggs Rest Covered
Cover the eggs and let them sit for approximately 12 minutes, then drain

Let Eggs Cool in Cold Water
Cover drained eggs with cold water and let soak for 5 minutes until cool enough to shell.
If you're lucky, your eggs won't crack like the one pictured above =)

Peel Cooled Eggs
Shell the eggs and rinse off any bits of shell, then set aside the eggs while you finish preparing
the other parts of the dish (corn mash pudding and sauteed beef with onions)

Stand up Corn to Cut
While the eggs were cooking/cooking, you can cut the kernels of corn off the cob. I used
8 ears of corn as Gloria recommended and it worked out perfectly. I find standing the ear of
corn on the bottom of a small bowl over a large baking sheet is the best way to cut off the kernels
without making a giant mess

Slice Off Corn Kernels
8 ears (and 5 minutes later), here's what you should end up with. Plus a little bit of a mess
outside of the baking sheet that will likely need to be tidied up =)

4 Cups of Fresh Corn

2 Cups of Fresh Corn
I ened up with a total of 6 cups of corn kernels. I suspect you can use frozen corn if you don't
want to spend the time cutting kernels off the cob

Fresh Corn Pureed
Add the corn to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse about
20-30 times until the mixture is mostly pureed with a bit if chunkiness remaining

Heat Corn Puree
Add the corn paste to a medium pot and heat for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
Stir frequently as the mixture tends to stick

Chopped Fresh Basil
While the corn paste heats, you'll have time to chop the fresh basil...

Beaten Egg Whites
Beat the egg whites...

4 Tablespoons Butter

Melted Butter
...melt 4 Tablespoons of butter...

Measure Whole Milk
...measure your milk (I used whole milk)...

Measure Heavy Cream
...and measure your heavy cream. Gloria's recipe calls for double cream, but I couldn't find it
locally, so I used heavy whipping cream instead.

Add Fresh Chopped Basil
Once the corn mash is hot, add the basil...

Add Whole Milk to Corn
...stir in the milk and cream...

Add Beaten Egg Whites
...fold in the egg whites...

Add Melted Butter
...and add the melted butter.

Add Salt and Pepper
Season generously with salt and pepper. I used about 1 teaspoon of each kosher salt and
cracked black pepper, but season to your personal preference

Heat Corn Mixture
Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes until thickened and most
of the watery liquid reduced (boiled away). While the mixture thickens, you can cook
the beef and onion mixture and prepare your ramekins

Heat Oil in Pan
Heat oil in a large pan

Diced Onion
Chop up an onion - I used a large yellow onion and let my handy-dandy chopper do the work

Add Diced Onion to Hot Oil
Once the oil is good and hot, add the onion and cook over medium-low heat

Sautee Until Translucent
Make sure the onion is translucent before adding the beef

Add Ground Beef
Add the beef to the softened onions...

Mix in with Onions
...add more salt and pepper...

Sauteed Onion and Beef
...and saute the mixture until the beef is cooked through. Don't forget to continue to stir your
corn pudding mixture now and then (and reduce the heat on the mixture if it begins to stick)

Prepared Large Ramekins
While waiting for the beef and corn, you can pick your baking dishes. I used these large
French White Corning Ware ramekins (larger than traditional ramekins) so I only needed 5;
If you use traditional ramekins, you will need at least 6 (probably more like 8). You could
also use small oven-safe stoneware pots or a large casserole dish instead.
You will also want to preheat the oven to 400F about this time

Diced Hard Boiled Egg
You should also have time to chop up the hard boiled eggs. Gloria recommends slicing the eggs,
but the bf isn't crazy about hard boiled eggs, so I diced the eggs instead of slicing

Add Beef Mixture to Ramekins
Once the corn mash is thickened, you're ready to assemble everything, starting with
the sauteed beef and onions

Divide Chopped Egg Between Ramekins
Top the beef mixture with the egg...

Top with Corn Pudding
...and top the egg with the corn pudding mixture. I had just enough for these 5 large ramekins,
which was enough to about 8 servings total...

Castor Sugar and Smoked Paprika
To finish off these corn pies, you will need castor (or superfine) sugar and paprika.
I used smoked paprika - because I think smokiness adds great depth of flavor

Sprinkle with Paprika and Castor Sugar
Sprinkle each pie with a little castor sugar and paprika. I probably used more sugar and paprika
than was required, but I enjoyed the result immensely

Bake Until Golden Brown
I baked these for about 20 minutes at 400F and then an additional 10 minutes at 475F.
The extra 10 minutes in the hot oven helps to brown the tops beautifully

Scoop of Chilean Corn Pudding
I couldn't resist digging in immediately, but you REALLY should give these pies a chance
to rest and cool before sampling. Otherwise you may end up like with, with a greedily
burned tongue =(


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • The corn mash topping is my favorite part of these lovely pies - the fresh corn is so bright and sweet with just a hint of smokey heat from the paprika. And these smell amazing was they bake - the whole apartment was perfumed with the delicate scent of roasting sweet corn
     
  • Give the pies 10 minutes to cool because attempting to eat - my lack of restrain resulted in a scalding-hot bite of deliciousness followed by a burnt tongue. Besides, the pies seem to set-up a bit more when cooled slightly
     
  • A lot of love goes into this recipe and it takes a good 1 1/2 hours from start to finish - but it's so worth it. Besides, if you're worried about time, you can slice off the corn kernels from the cob and boil the eggs a day in advance
     
  • If you don't have ramekins or little oven-safe pots, you really could make this in a large shallow baking dish. It won't be quite as elegant or personalized, but the flavors will still be just as delicious
     
  • The next time I make this, I plan to add some chopped bell pepper and minced garlic to the ground beef mixture. Gloria's traditional recipe doesn't include these flavors, but I'm a big fan of garlic and pepper with ground meat and it really would make these pies even more hearty

Other Must-Try Recipes from Canela Kitchen
Maybe corn pies aren't your thing. But I guarantee you'll find something delicious from Canela Kitchen. Check out these mouth-watering eats and tell me you're not inspired!

Roasted Cherry Tomato, Basil & Parmesan Quiche
Walnuts & Raspberry Jam Pie
Low-Fat High Fiber Blueberry Muffins
Souffle Aux Framboises
Delicious Peruvian Dessert



18 comments:

  1. Thanks so much dear Javelin I think the corn pie look awesome absolutely. Make me hungry! ha! thanks for invite me always enjoy your blog. I will share this post in google :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, I'm so happy the pictures could do your terrific pies justice - I learned so much from the post and I'm so glad I picked this recipe!

      Delete
  2. never ever heard of this but it looks just amazing and so completely up my street... thanks for showing us how wonderful world food can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it immensely and like you, I'd never heard of it before. All the credit goes to Gloria =)

      Delete
  3. What a dish! There's just so much going on here!! And I love that it feeds an army! I will most definitely have to recreate this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was wonderful and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Definitely try it...

      Delete
  4. I have twin sons! I love your recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I bet they both bring you great joy. Thanks so much for checking out Gloria's recipe...

      Delete
  5. Oh, you picked such a wonderful blogger to feature this week! I love Gloria's recipes...and you picked a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Tuesday Tutors. It's just such a great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayle - I'm so glad you enjoy =) It's a lot of fun for me as well...

      Delete
  7. Wow, you have a lot of fabulous ideas Javelin, hats off to you ! This is such a great way to appreciate your blogger friend,so sweet ! and the recipe sounds like a winner, congrats to you and Gloria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namitha, I'm so happy you like the post and recipe - it was delicious and I had a great tutor ;)

      Delete
  8. I started to follow Gloria recently too. I love corns but never had corn pies. Sounds awesome! JW, you always have very detail step by step for Tuesday Tutor and I enjoy reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were delicious and Gloria's blog is always a lot of fun - always a creative mix of recipes...

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial, delicious looking pictures, and a most unusual dish. Thanks for this. I'm always looking for something new, so I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're going to try it and it really is delicious. I hope you enjoy and be sure to let Gloria know if you love it :)

      Delete