Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tuesday Tutor: Featuring Chocolate Log Blog

Untitled
Dark and White Cookies


Every Tuesday I choose a different friend to be my tutor for a day: I select one of their original recipes, I make the recipe following my friend's instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I scarf down as much as my belt-line will permit - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Read more about the details for Tuesday Tutor

Today's Tuesday Tutor: Chocolate Log Blog
Selected Recipe: Dark and White Cookies
My tutor today is the queen of chocolate, Choclette from the Chocolate Log Blog blog. I love a tasty bit of chocolate from time to time (favorites include dark chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate pudding), but I'm not a chocolate fiend. My cravings revolve around bread and cheese. But I'm always fascinated by the Chocolate Log Blog because Choclette never fails to surprise me with new uses for chocolate.

And while the Chocolate Log Blog is a trove of creative chocolate concoctions from sweet to savory, Choclette also hosts the We Should Cocoa monthly food challenge. Each month this fun challenge celebrates chocolate creations from food bloggers all across the blogosphere - and I'm always impressed with the talent and creativity inspired by this series. So get your chocolate fix and check out the Chocolate Log Blog.

About the Author: Fun Facts
  1. "I started my blog as a way of recording what I'd made and expanding my chocolate repertoire. I had no idea there were so many variations of chocolate cake, biscuits and puddings and that three and a half years on I would not only still be going, but I would have hardly made a dent in the mountain of possibilities."
     
  2. "When I was at University, I used to fill up my mother's freezer with cake in the holidays to keep her going in my absence."
     
  3. "If I was only ever allowed to eat one thing, it wouldn't be chocolate! It would be dhal. I love dhal, the perfect vegetarian food - so tasty, simple and versatile and can be changed quite radically by using a different spice, or vegetable."
     
  4. "I lived on Lake Geneva in Switzerland for nearly two years amongst the most amazingly beautiful scenery, but was homesick for my bleak Cornish moors."
     
  5. "I lived in New York for a year, but remember nothing about it - I was a baby at the time."
Author's Photo

Original recipe courtesy of Chocolate Log Blog

1 Stick of Room Temperature Butter
These dark and white chocolate cookies are simple to make and use just a handful of ingredients.
And it all starts with 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons) - just make sure the butter is at room temp. 

1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
To the butter, add 1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed.

Granulated and Brown Sugar
And 1/3 cup granulated sugar

Cream Butter and Sugars
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. I just left my stand mixer go to
town for about 5 minutes while I sift together the dry ingredients. This is when a stand mixer
can really save you some time.

All Purpose Flour
Based on my conversion from grams to cups, I used 1 1/4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour.
When I make these again, I would cut the flour back to a scant 1 cup of flour (and I recommend
you do the same). I suspect my conversion was off slightly.

1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Per Choclette's original recipe, I used 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. The next time I make these,
I plan to use 3/4 teaspoon to help the cookies spread a bit more while baking. If you like thin
and chewier cookies, I recommend you do the same.

1/4 Cup All Natural Cocoa Powder
I used 1/4 cup all-natural unsweetened cocoa powder (NOT Dutch process). That seemed to be
about the right amount of cocoa for this recipe, although I'm not sure if it quite corresponds to
Choclette's original 30 grams

Whisk Flour Mixture Together
Add a pinch of salt and whisk then whisk all the dry ingredients together.

Butter Creamed and Fluffy
The butter should now be ready - you're looking for a lightened color and fluffy texture

Add Vanilla Extract
Add vanilla extract and beat the mixture again until combined...

Beat in Egg
Then crack in an egg - I don't have a photo of the egg going in. However, once you add the egg,
beat until the egg is fully incorporated with the butter and sugar before adding the dry ingredients

Add Dry Ingredients on Lowest Speed
With the mixer on the lowest speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Do NOT over mix or you
will end up with tough cookies (I was busy taking pictures and ended up over mixing my
cookies a bit and so they were a little tough).

3/4 cup White Chocolate Chips
Once the dry ingredients have been incorporated, you're ready for the mix-ins: white chocolate
and nuts. Choclette used chunks of white chocolate, but I found these Ghiradelli chips which
seemed to be free from stabilizers or extra preservatives, so I used 3/4 of a cup of chips. Next
time I make these, I plan to use 1 full cup because I craved more white chocolate.

Mix in White Chocolate Chips
Mix in the white chocolate chips.

Combine Macadamia Nuts with Slivered Almonds
Next come the nuts. Choclette used a combination of mixed nuts but I decided to stick with just
macadamia and slivered almonds. I wasn't happy with the flavor of the macadamia nuts I found
locally, so next time I plan to use only slivered almonds

Add Nuts to Cookie Dough
Add the nuts to the batter and mix until just combined

Cookies Ready for Scooping
You're now ready to scoop the cookies. I used a small ice-cream scoop for my cookies, but you
could also use an eating teaspoon to drop the crookies

Cookies Scooped
This batch of batter makes about 24 cookies. I was able to fit 12 cookies per sheet

Cookies Ready for Baking
I expected the cookies to spread a bit while baking and so I didn't flatten these at all. The
next time I bake these, I may flatten them slightly to encourage spread while baking

Cookies Ready to Cool
I baked these for 12 minutes at 350F - I recommend baking for only 10 minutes for slightly
softer and chewier cookies. I needed to let mine cool for about 2 minutes on the sheets before
transferring to cooling racks.

Untitled
This plate of cookies and glass of milk didn't last long. Maybe because I was flipping through
a cookies cookbook. Or more likely because these were the perfect way to satisfy my craving
for white and dark chocolate cookies...


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • These cookies were perfect for dunking in milk. The cake-like texture and punchy chocolate flavor was somehow even better when soaked with milk. That plate of cookies didn't last long!
     
  • I prefer thin and chewy cookies verses thick and cakey. I suspect my conversion from grams to cups was a little off, resulting more cake-like cookies. So when I make these cookies again, I will adjust the ingredients slightly to reflect my preference such as cutting back a lithe on flour, adding another 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to help the cookies spread, and baking for only 10 minutes instead of 12.
     
  • Don't over-mix these cookies once you add the flour - I was busy snapping pictures and probably over-mixed mine a bit. This over-mixing toughened the cookies a bit and didn't allow the cookies to spread as much as they should have.
     
  • The next time I make these cookies, I will probably use only blanched slivered almonds because I wasn't happy with the freshness of the macadamia nuts I was able to find. I will also probably add more white chocolate chips because while I'm normally not a white chocolate fan, I love the combination of dark and white chocolate in cookies.

Other Must-Try Recipes from Chocolate Log Blog
Maybe double chocolate cookies aren't your thing. But I guarantee you'll find something delicious from the Chocolate Log Blog. Check out these mouth-watering posts and tell me you're not inspired!

Chocolate and Almond Cake
Coconut Cream Pie
Mushroom and Chocolate Risotto
Chocolate Rhubarb and Matcha Cake
National Chocolate Week


11 comments:

  1. Wow JW, you've transformed these into your very own, or at least you will have done if you use your amendments next time. it's really difficult converting metric into cups so well done for coming up with something that looks heaps better than mine - as I knew you would do!

    Thanks for featureing me in your Tuesday Tutor series and for saying such lovely things about my blog - I feel most honoured :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried not to make any changes to the recipe the first time thru (except for the nuts as the boyfriend and I are not big fans of mixed nuts) - of course, the conversion always has a way of tripping me up. I'm just so pleased I had a chance to try one of your chocolate recipes - it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Well thanks for the intro to Choclette! These cookies really do look tasty. I am not really picky and do like cookies of many different textures, however anything with chocolate I favor more so than others. These do look like they would squelch a chocolate craving-great one for the cookie jar-yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'm glad you enjoyed and it's probably a good thing that you're not picky about textures of cookies. For me, it really depends on the cookie. Cookies involving chocolate, I seem to prefer more chewy and thin. Cookies like sugar cookies I prefer to be crunchy. So it's a bit of a mix, I guess...

      Delete
  3. Thank you JW for introducing Choclette to us! I love both white and dark chocolate and these cookies sound perfect for my liking! Thanks for the detail step by step. It's fun cooking along with ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nami - I'm so happy you enjoyed. I'm also a big fan of double chocolate cookies, especially those combining dark and white chocolate...

      Delete
  4. ANOTHER amazinggggggggg post! Love love love everything about this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, chocolate cookies! Thanks for turning me on to a new blog. I also like thinner, crispier cookies, so if you make them again with changes, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choclette writes one of my favourite blogs so it's great to see her featured here. You picked a great recipe - one that I know I would enjoy myself. I think your cookies turned out great and I'm not surprised they didn't last long!!

    ReplyDelete