Friday, June 22, 2012

Food Fetish Friday: Featured Foodie 6/22/2012

Food Fetish Friday


The Food Fetish Friday series has featured food from over 250 unique bloggers in the past 9 months. Without these bloggers' hard work and dedication to outstanding food, Food Fetish Friday couldn't exist. So I have devoted a new section of Food Fetish Fridays to the bloggers to make this series possible and it's called Featured Foodies.

Featured Foodie posts are a chance for us all to meet the real people behind the food. Every Friday, I select and interview an amazing foodie who has been previously featured in the Food Fetish Friday series. We'll discover what makes these foodies tick, where they find their food inspiration, and gain valuable insight from their experiences. And of course, we'll drool over their food!

Please welcome this week's Featured Foodie!


Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest
StumbleUpon

Liz Berg's That Skinny Chick Can Bake blog is filled with humor and excellent advice about baking and cooking in general. Liz shares her enthusiasm for cooking and baking, and is generous with her tips, suggestions, and friendship. Her photos are drool-worthy and often include glimpses of the family dog, Lambeau. Her husband and 3 children prefer to stay out of camera range. Liz's blog is easily approachable and good for bakers and cooks of any level.


Q&A with Javelin Warrior

JW: When did you start blogging? And why?
Liz: My blogging adventure began about 2 years ago. Like many others, it was merely to document my recipes with tips and photos to share with my family and friends. The idea of sharing my creations world-wide never occurred to me!
JW: How - or where - do you find inspiration for your food creations?
Liz: I own a bazillion cookbooks and have been printing off recipes from the Internet for over 15 years (yes, my carbon footprint is big :/). I have binders with only brownie or only cheesecake or only cookie recipes... 21 different categories at this point. I often start my browsing there.
JW: If you had to pick just one favorite food to make over and over again, what would it be?
Liz: Despite how my blog appears, if I'm cooking for myself, I tend to go healthy. So, I'd say a big green salad full of nuts, dried fruit, cheese and veggies with a simple balsamic vinaigrette. The variations are endless.
JW: What kind of camera do you use?
Liz: A Canon Rebel T2i.
JW: Your food and photos are an inspiration to me - and I'm sure to many others - but who inspires you?
Liz: My mom was my biggest inspiration. She was an artist and knew how to make things beautiful - from food to a coffee table display. She also loved to experiment with food. We grew up in a small town in Iowa, yet she was always trying different cuisines...Greek, Chinese, Indian, Spanish. Her paella was a favorite of mine and my sisters.
JW: Based on your personal experiences, what 3 cookbooks would you recommend right now?
Liz: Well, since I blog from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan each week, that's number one. The Silver Palate cookbooks have never failed me...and Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook gets a good workout as well.
JW: What advice or tips for success can you offer other bloggers?
Liz: Be yourself...let your personality shine through. Network. Be friendly. And most importantly, make sure you balance your "real" life with your blogging life - family should always come first.
JW: When you're not in the kitchen or working on a blog, where would I find you?
Liz: On the treadmill, in the yoga studio or shopping :)

Inspired Creations from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Previously Featured in Food Fetish Friday

Povitica

Holiday Lacquered Turkey

Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream

Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake

Strawberry Topped Cheesecake

Strawberry Meringue Cake

Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Icing


If you missed last week's Featured Foodie, check out my interview with Amy from Fragrant Vanilla Cake


9 comments:

  1. I love following Liz. Most people know that I'm not a baker and it might sound strange to follow her site which is full of desserts. I have been influenced by her a lot after I discovered her site and I learned tremendously about baking from her. Thank you JW for featuring her. It was fun reading about her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to be featured today and to join the ranks of all the wonderful bloggers you've interviewed! Thanks so much, JW...I love the variety of my creations you've shared these past months...a nice trip down memory lane :)

    Thanks for your sweet comment, Nami~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for being today's Featured Foodie - it was so much fun to learn more about what inspires you. And your cookbook recommendations :)

      Delete
  3. So awesome to see Liz on here :)! Wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great series. I enjoyed reading Liz's interview. I have been to her blog before and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this series and - as a fellow cook book hoarder - I appreciate you asking which three! I have the Silver Palate and just started reading it...and it's amazing! The other two - she's spot on, they're terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amy, Anita and Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great interview with Liz! Nice to learn more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, hi Liz, love seeing you here with all your lovely treats.

    ReplyDelete