Friday, June 29, 2012

Food Fetish Friday: Featured Foodie 6/29/2012

Food Fetish Friday


The Food Fetish Friday series has featured food from over 250 unique bloggers in the past 9 months. Without these bloggers' hard work and dedication to outstanding food, Food Fetish Friday couldn't exist. So I have devoted a new section of Food Fetish Fridays to the bloggers to make this series possible and it's called Featured Foodies.

Featured Foodie posts are a chance for us all to meet the real people behind the food. Every Friday, I select and interview an amazing foodie who has been previously featured in the Food Fetish Friday series. We'll discover what makes these foodies tick, where they find their food inspiration, and gain valuable insight from their experiences. And of course, we'll drool over their food!

Please welcome this week's Featured Foodie!


Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest  |  RSS

Nami was born and raised in Japan and now lives in San Francisco with her husband and two young children. Her website JustOneCookbook.com features quick & easy Japanese home cooking recipes with step-by-step pictorial directions. She shares both traditional food, such as Tempura and Tonkatsu, and contemporary food that local U.S. Japanese restaurants do not offer but are enjoyed by most households in Japan. She enjoys cooking and eating good food, traveling, and spending time with family & friends.


Q&A with Javelin Warrior

JW: When did you start blogging? And why?
Nami: I started blogging in January 2011, about one and a half years ago. My husband and friends encouraged me to start a website after I had been sharing my recipes with friends via Facebook for a year. It’s not that difficult to learn how to cook Japanese food at home, so I thought it might be a great idea to share how to cook quick and easy Japanese food through blogging.
JW: How - or where - do you find inspiration for your food creations?
Nami: Trying new cuisines and enjoying really good food experiences always inspires me to prepare something similar at home so that my family can enjoy it anytime.
JW: If you had to pick just one favorite food to make over and over again, what would it be?
Nami: It would be Korokke (Japanese Croquette). It's potatoes and minced meat patties that are coated with panko and deep fried. Simply delicious!
JW: What kind of camera do you use?
Nami: I use a Cannon 7D with Cannon 50mm f1.4 lens, Tamron 60mm f2.0 macro lens,
and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens. I really enjoy learning to use the 70-200mm lens right now.
JW: Your food and photos are an inspiration to me - and I'm sure to many others - but who inspires you?
Nami: My mom was and is still my inspiration. I always miss my mom’s cooking and I hope that my children will associate good food with my cooking when they grow up. I secretly wish that when they grow up, they will look forward to coming home to eat my food. For me, it’s such a comforting feeling to go back to Japan because that means I get to eat mom’s good food. Lately my 6-year-old son has been referring to our kitchen as his favorite international restaurant and that makes me proud.

As for food photography, I get inspiration from other food bloggers' and professional food photographers' work. I started with no photography background and learned so much in this past 1.5 years.
JW: Based on your personal experiences, what 3 cookbooks would you recommend right now?
Nami: A lot of people, especially food bloggers, collect cookbooks - but I actually have only a few so far. However my husband and I have enjoyed these cookbooks recently: Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller, Easy Chinese Recipes by Bee Yinn Low, and Lemongrass and Ginger by Leemei Tan.
JW: What advice or tips for success can you offer other bloggers?
Nami: Some people blog for fun, some people take it more seriously as a career, and some people are somewhere in between like myself. No matter what your objective, I think it’s important to have your own voice and put your heart into the post. Everyone has different styles of blogging that they are comfortable with. However, if you want to increase your readership, you need to focus on parts that readers would care most – such as pictures, writing, and of course good recipes. Also try posting on a regular basis (do not disappear for a long period of time without informing your readers), and respect your readers by responding to their questions and comments. Just be yourself and enjoy!
JW: When you're not in the kitchen or working on a blog, where would I find you?
Nami: You would see me with my children all the time. I’m with them at parks, play dates, extra curricular activities...wherever my children would go. :)

Inspired Creations from Just One Cookbook
Previously Featured in Food Fetish Friday

Dorayaki

Chawanmushi with Shrimp

Oden

Nama Chocolate | Homemade Chocolate

Spanish Mackerel with Yuzu

Strawberry Daifuku

Mitarashi Dango

Unagi Don (Unadon)


If you missed last week's Featured Foodie, check out my interview with Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake



9 comments:

  1. I adore Nami so I'm so glad to see her here! Not only is she talented but she's super sweet too which is such a lovely combination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lorraine - Nami is an awesome blogger and one of my very favorites...

      Delete
  2. I'm excicted to be featured today and thank you for sharing my pictures these past months along with all these wonderful food bloggers. I had fun looking at my old pictures. :-) THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure and I'm so happy to have been able to share this interview and your delicious food with everyone...

      Delete
  3. Great interview with another of my blogger friends!!! Another fabulous Friday post~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well deserved! Her blog is beautiful and yummy for sure! But her personality is the nicest and sweetest that I have seen from all the bloggers so far. She is so generous that I became a big fan of her. Congrats, dear Nami!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words Denise. You are too kind! :-)

    ReplyDelete