Friday, July 20, 2012

Food Fetish Friday: Featured Foodie 7/20/2012

Food Fetish Friday


The Food Fetish Friday series has featured food from over 250 unique bloggers in the past 9 months. Without these bloggers' hard work and dedication to outstanding food, Food Fetish Friday couldn't exist. So I have devoted a new section of Food Fetish Fridays to the bloggers to make this series possible and it's called Featured Foodies.

Featured Foodie posts are a chance for us all to meet the real people behind the food. Every Friday, I select and interview an amazing foodie who has been previously featured in the Food Fetish Friday series. We'll discover what makes these foodies tick, where they find their food inspiration, and gain valuable insight from their experiences. And of course, we'll drool over their food!

Please welcome this week's Featured Foodie!


Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest

People are sometimes surprised that I do have a full-time job. I recently went back to school for three years to study Business Management and I recently started a second career working at Memorial University of Newfoundland. I'm married with two kids in their early teens who keep both me and the missus very busy. I've cooked almost my entire life, since about 9 or 10 years old. All my adult life I've spent experimenting with cooking and baking. My blog is a natural extension of that; it is the way I've always lived - the only difference in the last five years is now I write about it and share all those recipe experiments.


Q&A with Javelin Warrior

JW: When did you start blogging? And why?
Barry: I started blogging back in September of 2007 as what I thought at the time was the easiest means of sharing my recipe creations. I had been cooking for many years before that but never wrote down any of my recipes.
JW: How - or where - do you find inspiration for your food creations?
Barry: Everywhere. It could be just seeing two items side-by-side in the supermarket or a favorite restaurant dish that I would like to make a home-version of and tweak it to make it my own. Sometimes it’s just something in the fridge that needs to be used up and necessity becomes the creative spark. I HATE wasting anything! I’m constantly thinking about food, so there are bound to be a few good ideas that pop up.
JW: If you had to pick just one favorite food to make over and over again, what would it be?
Barry: My personal favorite meal is really good roast turkey with English style roast potatoes and traditional Newfoundland Summer Savoury stuffing. For me, that is comfort food at its best.
JW: What kind of camera do you use?
Barry: I have a Nikon D90. I mostly use a Nikkor 50mm f 1.8 for shooting food.
JW: Your food and photos are an inspiration to me - and I'm sure to many others - but who inspires you?
Barry: I love Food Network in the US and Canada, but my favorite chefs are British. James Martin, Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver are three great examples.
JW: Based on your personal experiences, what 3 cookbooks would you recommend right now?
Barry: Gee, you know, I don’t read cookbooks. I actually own very few. I have a couple by Julia Child that are favorites. I don't really follow food or book trends much - I still consider myself very much a basic home cook who makes mostly uncomplicated food.
JW: What advice or tips for success can you offer other bloggers?
Barry: I’d say be disciplined in your approach to your blog. I set aside specific time every day, typically early mornings for me, to work on my blog. Plan your posts well in advance so that you are not trying to figure out what to post. Keep a notebook of recipe ideas that you want to try and take it with you if possible when you go out to restaurants or food shopping. Lots of good ideas would often be lost to me if I didn’t write them down at the moment of inspiration.
JW: When you're not in the kitchen or working on a blog, where would I find you?
Barry: This time of year, in the garden or at a ball park. Weekends, I like to take day trips from my home in St. John’s Newfoundland on photography excursions to capture the fantastic landscapes and beautiful towns and villages in our province.

Inspired Creations from Rock Recipes
Previously Featured in Food Fetish Friday

Chocolate Orange Cheesecake Layer Cake

Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts

Ragged Rock Rum Truffle Cake

Honey Chili Barbeque Chicken

Chocolate Bumbleberry Crepes




2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you and all those luscious food pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, CJ, and glad you enjoyed...

    ReplyDelete