Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kindred Spirits and the Fear of Groups

Star Wars TrilogyPinkMighty WarriorA&F Leather Sandals
Dog StoriesIn the RainSpider-man CollectiblesMighty Mo
NovelsNoHate NoH8Ninja BlenderThe Matrix Films


I want you and me to be friends.

I'm NOT talking about Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Klout or any of the other social spaces. You don't need to subscribe to my blog, you don't need to leave me comments, you don't need to bestow an award on me. I just want you and me to become (better) friends.

Of course, that means we really need to get to know each other. So each week I candidly share stuff about myself. And if you'd like for me to get to know you better, I invite you to share along with me. You don't have to be a blogger to participate and even if we're already good friends, I hope you'll still share with me.



Ben Hur Film

When I was a kid,
I grew up watching films from the 50's and 60's and almost never saw recent films. I was raised on Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, Charleton Heston films, and other Biblical epics. My favorites were The Sound of Music, South Pacific, Oklahoma and Ben-Hur and I would watch them over and over and over. It wasn't until I was in high school that I became exposed to new films (and began amazing a collection).

When I grow up,
I want to feel comfortable in big groups. I do great with people on a one-on-one basis and even small groups are good. But when there's 15 or more people in a meeting or party, I really clam-up and have a tough time mingling or carrying on a conversation. I like to attribute this to homeschooling, but really just me - I need to get out of my own head...
Arizona Memoria

I used to love
  • Bath and Body Works
  • Riesens (candy)
  • Peanut butter and honey on saltines
  • Merry-go-rounds (the kind you push yourself)
  • Chasseur enameled cast iron dutch oven
Chasseur Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven Chip

I still love
  • Butterfingers (candy bar)
  • Kalamata olives
  • Roller coasters
  • Dyson vacuum
  • Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce cologne
Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Cologne


There's one thing you should know about me,
I weep during films. I love films that reach me emotionally and it's almost cathartic because I rarely EVER cry without the aid of a film... And if you're wondering which films will start the waterworks, here's a few of my favorites: Moulin Rogue, Gladiator, Brokeback Mountain, Avatar, and The Help.
James Cameron's Avatar




So tell me...
When did you see your first "modern" film in theaters? Do you cry during films or do you fight the tears? And how do you feel about groups - are you the life of the party or the quiet wall-flower?

If you do not feel comfortable posting your answers in a comment but would still like to share something about yourself, feel free to email me or direct message me on Twitter. And if there's a specific question you'd like me to answer next time, just let me know.


12 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, I too hide and withdraw in large groups of people/parties, etc. I just don't function well as the number of people increase. Small groups and 1 on 1, I'm fine for the most part like you. I think us sensitive people just operate differently. Yes, I cry in movies, TV shows and all kinds of different times. Did you ever read the book, The Highly Sensitive Person. It was pretty helpful and good for me. Love the image on the abercome and fitch bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for sharing with me, Don - It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who doesn't feel comfortable in big groups or parties. I don't really consider myself an introvert, but definitely not an extrovert either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butterfingers! And I'm no good in larger groups either. I grew up in the 50s and 60s so all those films that were before your time are my time! Some really good movies made then, though. But I rarely watch any of those these days - so much else to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chasseur cast iron oven too but never get to own a Chasseur one :( The two things that I like from your list... Avatar and salty sweets! I like chick flicks the most but also scientific and fantasy shows.

    Btw, I've post the interview link in my most recent post. I was silly making a blunder writing the date to be 8 Oct.. Ops! Luckily, one person spotted it and I've updated it all accordingly :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. mjskit @mjskitchen.comAugust 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

    Butterfingers and PayDays - still my favorites! My first modern film at the "picture show" - don't laugh - Gone With The Wind. It was amazing!!!!! Hell - I cry at McDonald's commercials. :) I use to LOVE large groups, but as I've gotten older, I prefer smaller gatherings. Thank goodness my friends feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know butterfingers probably have all kinds of things in them I shouldn't eat, but I can't resist them! And I think the films from the 50's and 60's are classics and I actually own a good number of them. I don't watch them frequently, but every now and them I get in a mood where that's all I want to see... Thanks so much for sharing with me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the Featured Foodie post, Zoe - it was a lot of fun sharing it with everyone. And I did love my Chasseur dutch oven until it began chipping off pieces of the enamel coating - one big piece came off without warning and sliced a finger (that's still healing). So yeah, now I'm not quite so enamored with Chasseur... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the first time I saw Gone With The Wind (on VHS) and I just remember thinking how LOOOONG it was ;) I was only about 10 at the time though and I've see it since and enjoyed... You cry at McDonald's commercials? I think there's only been one commercial I've ever cried over and it was the recent P&G Olympics commercial... And I think small groups are more fun - but then there's my little phobia of big groups so I'm likely biased ;) Thanks for sharing, MJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jody_thehobbyroomdiariesAugust 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM

    I was also raised on musicals and the soundtrack to South Pacific (along with the movie) remains one of my favorites. My brother and I won a lip sync contest once doing "Honey Bun." I am very much like you with the groups thing, after about a dozen people, I just pull back and let everyone else do the talking so a lot of people think/have thought that I'm quiet or shy (or snobby), unfortunately. But it's hard to make real connections when there are more than a couple people! I cried recently when "Michael Scott" left the Office and wept huge tears over Armageddon years ago . . . if something momentous is happening, no matter how trivial, Jason just hands me the tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I would have loved to see you lip sync Honey Bun - that's one of my favorites from South Pacific and it still makes me smile every time I hear it... And I actually haven't seen the episode where Michael Scott leaves - I own most of the seasons, but the most recent ones I haven't watched. And I also cried over Armageddon - it really sneaks up on you with that ending!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jody_thehobbyroomdiariesAugust 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

    I don't know who looked better--me in a sailor suit or my brother in a coconut bra . . . . I think it's a toss up. Did you ever see the re-make with Harry Connick Jr.? Not as good as the original, but still pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually have seen the original and the remake - and yeah, I prefer the original. There's more "life" to the characters, I think.

    ReplyDelete