Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kindred Spirits and Navy SEALs

Big Bang TheoryPinkStar Wars TrilogyDark Closet
Mighty WarriorMalley's Chocolate Covered PretzelsSandstone forestA&F Leather Sandals


I want you and me to be friends.

I'm NOT talking about Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Klout or any of the other social spaces. You don't need to subscribe to my blog, you don't need to leave me comments, you don't need to bestow an award on me. I just want you and me to become (better) friends.

Of course, that means we really need to get to know each other. So each week I candidly share stuff about myself. And if you'd like for me to get to know you better, I invite you to share along with me. You don't have to be a blogger to participate and even if we're already good friends, I hope you'll still share with me.



Dog Stories

When I was a kid,
I was extremely focused on very specific interests. And my focus would border on obsession. For example, after my first dog died, I became focused on all things related to dogs. I checked out every dog-book in the library (no exaggeration), I read just about every dog story I could get my hands on, and for about 3 years, I obsessed over getting a new dog. In later years, my next obsession was Star Wars (perhaps even more intense), followed by a less extreme obsession with cars. And now I suppose one might argue now I'm obsessed with food. Hmmm…

When I grow up,
I want to be healthy, active and fit. Like I was in college. In college (shockingly), I ate surprisingly well, I didn't snack between meals, and I ran and swam just about every day. Now that college is behind me and I have a clearer picture of where I hope to be in 5 years, this lazy malaise of periodic inactivity and snacking has to end. Like yesterday.
In the Rain

I used to love
  • All things Spider-man
  • Titanic (1997 film)
  • Bologna
  • Velveeta
  • Family Guy
Spider-man Collectibles

I still love
  • The Simpsons
  • Big wild cats (Bengal tigers, especially)
  • Hot dogs
  • Cool Whip (never eat it, though)
  • The Lion King
Lion King Love

There's one thing you should know about me,
For 2 years in college, I was determined to become a U. S. Navy SEAL (thus all the running and swimming). You might say it became a bit of an obsession - I trained EVERY day, multiple times a day. At the peak of my training, I was swimming 1500 yards twice a day, running 5 miles every other day, and powering through 300+ sit-ups, crunches and chin-ups every other day. So what happened? Let's just say that when I discovered my soul mate, I knew the military wasn't the right future.
Mighty Mo




So tell me...
Do you have a one-track mind or can you juggle multiple focuses simultaneously? And how do you manage to squeeze in time for fitness? And have you ever thought better of a dream and happily abandoned it?

If you do not feel comfortable posting your answers in a comment but would still like to share something about yourself, feel free to email me or direct message me on Twitter. And if there's a specific question you'd like me to answer next time, just let me know.


12 comments:

  1. Jody @ the hobby room diariesAugust 1, 2012 at 2:45 AM

    My brother had a Navy SEALS obsession for a while and sounds like he was doing the same thing as you and I remember the time and dedication that took. Wow. He also moved on to something else and I think that was really for the best, also like for you. I have a hard time saying "no" to things sometimes and that has led me to try new things I wouldn't have otherwise, particularly fitness related--that's how I got into Zumba and most recently into spinning/cycling. If I don't head straight to the Y in the morning, then I can pretty much kiss exercise for the day goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to be an actor and have dabbled - mainly in am dram but I wish I had put more time into it... fortunately it is something I could take up at any time.... whilst I think my Navy Seals days are pretty much over... would like to be that fit though... that is proper dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try my darnedest to get on the treadmill every day...and make it to yoga 2-3x a week. Having a whole bunch of great shows on the DVR helps with the treadmill motivation...though my kids laugh when I say I'll be running soon. Most times, they'll find me at the computer an hour later :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post ... I love to learn more about my foodie friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post :) Never knew what boys love as kids,till my son was born (I don't have brothers!) Never thought that I will be cooking so much or I will ever love cooking because when I was in school,I always loved cleaning the house and not cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really SHOULD get up first thing and do some physical activity because I think it would help jump-start my day ;) I'm familiar with Zumba and spinning, but I've never done either. And I admire your brother for aiming for the SEALs - it's tremendous that he even put in the work because it's so grueling (and I didn't even get to the end of the training regimen). I sometimes have the same problem with "no" which can leave me irritable if I agree to something I really don't want to be part of...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, acting - I had no idea and I'm so glad you shared. I could imagine you acting and I bet you'd be darn good too... And I keep telling myself I need to get in shape now before I'm unable to get in shape. I used to be able to work out like crazy and it never phased me - now everything starts to hurt :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an inspiration to me, Liz! You have a routine and you stick with it - and you manage to keep up with blogging and family and cooking all at the same time. I aspire to be so successful at juggling all these - a disciplined routine seems to be a good starting place...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I love cleaning around the house (or apartment in my case) - there's something so satisfying about getting everything spotless! I'm so glad you enjoyed the past and thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. mjskit @mjskitchen.comAugust 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

    A Navy Seal? Interesting! Well, can definitely see why you gave up that dream! :) I have to admit that I've had it easy with dreams. I wanted to either be a teacher or open a restaurant. I became a teacher and taught college level (the ONLY level for me) for 25 years then retired. Couldn't stand it and started working on educational grants as a developer, something I still do. Since I never got that restaurant, but treated my own kitchen as one, I'm satisfying that dream with my blog. It's definitely giving me the satisfaction I needed in that area and more. I love the friends I've made (like you!) and everything that I have learned. Other dreams, I've climbed my 14,000 ft. mountain (2 actually), gone places where no one has gone before, and worn out many pairs of hiking boots. Loved getting to know more about YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love learning more everyone and I'm so glad your dreams have come true! I always admire those who enjoy classroom teaching because I don't think would become frustrated (if for no other reason because I would become bored with teaching the same classes). Your blog is always filled with useful tips and facts, so it doesn't surprise me that you enjoyed teaching!


    I would love to climb a mouton some day, but I feel I really would need to overcome my fear of heights. I try not to think about it when I'm really high up and for the most part it's not terrifying for me, but I suspect I would feel differently dangling off the side of a mountain ;) Thank you so much for sharing, MJ!

    ReplyDelete