Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kindred Spirits and Politics

Big Bang TheoryPinkStar Wars TrilogyDark Closet
Mighty WarriorMalley's Chocolate Covered PretzelsSandstone forestA&F Leather Sandals
Dog StoriesIn the RainSpider-man CollectiblesMighty Mo


I want you and me to be friends.

I'm NOT talking about Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Klout or any of the other social spaces. You don't need to subscribe to my blog, you don't need to leave me comments, you don't need to bestow an award on me. I just want you and me to become (better) friends.

Of course, that means we really need to get to know each other. So each week I candidly share stuff about myself. And if you'd like for me to get to know you better, I invite you to share along with me. You don't have to be a blogger to participate and even if we're already good friends, I hope you'll still share with me.



Picnic Hotdog

When I was a kid,
I would eat myself sick. It always happened at monthly church functions with the spread of all-you-can-eat potluck brunches - I just wanted to try everything and not miss out anything. My plate would be packed with deviled eggs, green bean casserole, fried chicken, potato salad, marshmallow jello salad, wieners and kraut, baked beans - and about 4 different desserts. And that was just my first plate! Yes, there were seconds and sometimes thirds. And yes, until I was about 10 years old, I wouldn't stop until I felt sick...

When I grow up,
I want to be an avid novel reader. I love immersing myself in a good fictional world, but I'm such a slow reader that I rarely take the time to read anything anymore. I do occasionally listen to audiobooks when I have mundane tasks to complete (and when we owned a house, I would listen to book after book while attempting to keep up with yard maintenance), but recently even audiobooks have taken a hiatus. It's time for me to read more.
Novels

I used to love
  • Dell (laptops)
  • Yahoo (search)
  • The Matrix
  • Foreman Grill
  • Coca-Cola
The Matrix Films

I still love
  • Apple (products)
  • Safari (browser)
  • Campfires
  • Chocolate milk (made with whole milk)
  • Ninja blender
Ninja Blender

There's one thing you should know about me,
I detest politics. And I'm not just talking about Capital Hill politics or election campaigns. I hate politics at work, between families, between friends and peers. We all have differences of opinion on a multitude of subjects, but it disturbs me how easily we rally around those differences to create "us verses them" camps - I just want to work hard, love hard, and be left in peace to do both. I don't want to kiss anybody's butt, I don't want to pander to any audience, and I don't want to take sides. So fie on politics.
NoHate NoH8




So tell me...
Do you ever have overload your plate because there's just too many tempting options? How do you find time to read? And how do you handle politics in your life?

If you do not feel comfortable posting your answers in a comment but would still like to share something about yourself, feel free to email me or direct message me on Twitter. And if there's a specific question you'd like me to answer next time, just let me know.


10 comments:

  1. ALWAYS overload my plate... it was what we did when we were growing up and I never got out of it... think it was competition between me and my brother... silly really... I LOVE these posts, I feel so close to you even though you're so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know those potluck dinners were always great! I loved the abundance of food, especially when our meals were pretty slim at home. My mom was such an excellent cook (self taught) that I still haven't figured out how she made some of my favorite stuff - and none of it was written down!

    I'm with you on politics. I watch the campaigns "SLIGHTLY" but more and more, I'm avoiding the topic like a plague. I dislike politics of groups/organizations that have one group you are supposed to bow down to, and another that thinks they have the answers, while others don't. I just have no need for it and I can't stand fakeness where people just join in because it is the thing to everyone does.

    Living, loving and enjoying life - that's the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find time to read more by checking out audio books from the library and listening to them in the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, overloading my plate is still a big problem. I just can't eat as much as I used to, but I still think I can! Old habit are hard to break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mjskit @ mjskitchen.comAugust 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

    I'm with you - I hate politics in any agenda! When I was teaching at the college I moved into a position that forced me into the school's politics and that is what made my decision to retire as soon as I could! I should have stayed in the classroom! Because of my ability to gain weight so easily and lose it so difficultly, I have trained myself to put the proper servings on my plate and to not go back for seconds. Buffets love me (not that I go to a lot of buffets.). I'm a slow reader as well, but because I love a good story, I read A LOT! It's not hard finding time to read because I'm an insomniac. I hate that, but I can stay up until 3 am - no problem. BTW - the Dragon tattoo series is EXCELLENT! Read the books before you see the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comment put a big smile on my face - I love getting to know everyone better and I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who overloaded my plate! I'm so glad you enjoy the posts and thank you sharing with me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said, Don. It seems like every company I work for has it's own set of inner politics and I want nothing to do with them. Maybe I'm just a naive idealist, but I don't have the patience for trying to "stay on someone's good side" and such. Blah.


    And I think the best part about potlucks was that everyone brought their "showcase" dishes because it was what they knew they could make well. I wish I had all those recipes because now all I have to go on is a remembered flavor... Thanks for sharing, Don...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing and I used to do the same thing! Then I stopped having to commute for work (and I don't really drive too much during the week), so now I don't even have "drive time" to fill with an audiobook. I'm thinking maybe I could use a headset and listen while cooking...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem - my eyes are still bigger than my tummy! And you're right, it really is a habit and it is tough to bread it... Thanks so much for sharing and glad to see I'm not the only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip on the Dragon tattoo series and I've only seen the first movie so I really should get on reading the books before the next one comes out :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates politics at work - it was one of the reasons I wanted to get out of the "business" world environment and move on to something else. The politics just made me feel icky...and in some ways, often facing a moral or ethical dilemma...


    I'm working on portion control and most days I'm pretty good about it. I tend to hit a wall at parties and events where there's "open buffet" because I keep going back for little snacks ;) Thanks so much for sharing MJ - I always enjoy getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete