Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kindred Spirits and the Roman Centurion

Star Wars TrilogyPinkMighty WarriorA&F Leather Sandals
Dog StoriesIn the RainNoHate NoH8Spider-man Collectibles
Ben Hur FilmAbercrombie & Fitch Fierce CologneChasseur Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven ChipJames Cameron's Avatar


I want you and me to be friends.

I'm NOT talking about Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Klout or any of the other social spaces. You don't need to subscribe to my blog, you don't need to leave me comments, you don't need to bestow an award on me. I just want you and me to become (better) friends.

Of course, that means we really need to get to know each other. So each week I candidly share stuff about myself. And if you'd like for me to get to know you better, I invite you to share along with me. You don't have to be a blogger to participate and even if we're already good friends, I hope you'll still share with me.



Homemade Chocolate Cake

When I was a kid,
I couldn't eat chocolate or cola after 6 PM or I'd be too hyper to fall asleep. Which was especially heart-breaking when we would go out for ice cream after dinner and I couldn't have a chocolate ice cream cone. Or a root beer float. By the time I was 12 or 13, my body seemed to have adapted to sugar and chocolate so the restriction was lifted (and I made up for lost time)! I can pretty much eat or drink anything (including coffee) and still fall asleep...

When I grow up,
I want to go on a cruise. Since I've never been to Europe, I have a dream to take a Mediterranean cruise and visit all the beautiful places at each port of call. But I'd settle for just about any cruise (except the ones that capsize) because I'm desperate to get on the high seas. I envision myself strolling jauntily along the decks, enjoying the salty air and watching the waves out to the horizon. I know - it's not realistic, but I'm a romantic...
Cruise Ship Off San Juan

I used to love
  • Watches
  • Stuffed animals
  • McDonald's hash browns
  • Olive Garden
Stuffed Animals

I still love
  • James Bond
  • Stetsons
  • Dill pickles
  • Target
Wearing a Stetson


There's one thing you should know about me,
I won an award (just a cheesy car calendar) for best Bible-themed Halloween costume when I was 16. Everyone in the church youth group dressed up as something (like Adam with a fig leaf or Jesus with a crown of thorns or the Virgin Mary with a veil). I was the Roman Centurion (from the crucifixion story) with a homemade paper mâché breast plate and helmet. And a long red towel as a cape. And a sword. (I was just a tiny bit obsessed with ancient Romans at the time, although I blame it on the steady diet of Biblical themed epic movies from the 50's.) I was so proud of that costume - I kept the silly car calendar prize for years...
Marcellus from Ben Hur




So tell me...
Are there any foods that turn you into an insomniac? Have you ever been on a cruise before - and would you recommend it? And are you secretly proud of something silly?

If you do not feel comfortable posting your answers in a comment but would still like to share something about yourself, feel free to email me or direct message me on Twitter. And if there's a specific question you'd like me to answer next time, just let me know.



18 comments:

  1. come visit England, we'd love to show you around... never fancied a cruise myself (all those dreadful people) but I love boats, so maybe we could hire our own private boat and sail it around the Med for the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine @ Not Quite NigellaAugust 22, 2012 at 5:28 AM

    You know, when I was young I couldn't eat chocolate at all! But I stuck with it and using all my powers I made myself able to eat it :P I promise it's true!


    I've never been on a cruise though but I know people that are cruise freaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been on a cruise...but I think it'd be fun try it at least once (but I'm a total romantic and dreamer, too, so...) As I get older, I find it harder to sleep right if I drink alcohol too late. Which has taken some getting used to. I don't drink daily, but when I'm in the mood I have to watch that time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there...long time no post...Ya know, I never have been in a cruise, but I have done plenty of road trips. Some have been rather long, but I have seen plenty of great locales. I have been most of Mexico (back in college). No regrets seeing some great places and eating weird things (can you tell from my posts in my own blog?)..I am proud of whistling one octave lower in a song...but I am proud that I can whistle. Never could when I was very young...even when I lost my two front teeth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on a cruise one time and loved it. I could stay on the ocean for a long time (one of the reasons I live near the ocean). Of course, right before this cruise I broke up with a girl friend, but still went on the cruise with her and her friends - drank mega amounts though. Right after the cruise (within a month or so), I went through that paralysis. Maybe if i would have went on another cruise, I could have destressed more! LOL!

    I remember on the school bus when I was in Kindergarten that we would often stop for ice cream at the local dairy queen. Invariably, I would be getting back on the bus with my ice cream cone and miss a step and bop - there would go my ice cream cone all over the floor. Think the bus driver finally prohibited me from getting an ice cream code *pout*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, big crowds are not my thing and I suppose there would be a lot of strange people to meet and greet (or hide from) on a cruise ship, but I still like the romanticism of it all. And a private boat with someone who knows the territory does sound like the best way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol It's such a chore making yourself eat chocolate, isn't it? I struggle every day to get my daily allotment ;) On a more serious note, I wonder if chocolate affects kids differently than adults - it used to make me so hyper and now doesn't affect me at all...


    And I don't think I could afford to be a cruise freak - although a life on the ocean does have appeal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, alcohol does affect me, but it makes me drop off like a log ;) Unless I'm out, I rarely drink late at night if I'm trying to stay awake because I'll nod off so quick... And when I do go on a cruise, I really want to go with friends - I've heard from so many people that it's so much more fun as a group...

    ReplyDelete
  9. No worries, I haven't dropped by recently either, Izzy - shame on me. I've only been to Mexico once and it was for a business trip to a smaller inner city. it was a lot of fun and I'd certainly enjoy a trip back - but the political turmoil and some of the stories do make me a little nervous...


    I can also whistle, although it took me a while to learn - one of my sister still can't whistle to this day and I'm always so fascinated when I meet someone who can't whistle because it seems so simple...unless of course you can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Don, I keep learning new things about your history I never knew! Like an ex girlfriend. I would imagine that would have been an awkward trip..?


    And that's so sad for the little Kindergarten you! I feel so bad whenever I see a kid loose an ice cream cone - they almost always burst into tears and I just feel so awful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post and I want to see a photo of 16-year-old you in that costume. Yes, I do. I loved stuffed animals. I dream of going on a cruise. My parents went on those cruises from Miami to the Bahamas or Nassau or wherever when we were kids but we never got to go. I soooo want to but my husband refuses. Thinks they are too cheesy BUT we did want to go on one of those Hurtigruten cruises up the Norwegian coast. Very expensive. Who knows...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing, Jamie - a Norwegian coastline cruise sounds beautiful and come along as a stow-away ;) I think there might be a photo floating around somewhere in my mom's archives of me in that costume, but I'm not 100% sure. If there is a photo, I'll try to scrounge it up and post - because if I'd had one here, I'd have used it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to bits and pieces of you every now and then. I used to love Macca but never like them anymore. I have never been good with dress up but loves to participate in school dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, Zoe - it's always fun to learn more about my favorite bloggers... I've never been in a drama before, but it does kind of appeal to me. It would be a chance to get in exotic costumes and act out another character...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really fun series of yours. For years we resisted going on a cruise, but finally we relented when we lived in Florida. It's a great way to travel - unpack once, wake up each morning in a different port. The Mediterranean is great for cruising (we've done it) because there are so many great cities right on the water. Only downside is you don't spend more than a day at each destination (typically), but you'll get a feel of which ones you want to go back and see again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing about the cruise - I've wondered how good the Mediterranean cruise could be since there are so many ports and just a limited amount of time. But from my trips to other locations like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, I've found that a lot of the main attractions/places of interest can be covered in 1-2 days... So I'm thinking I could be ok with a short duration my first time around... And I'm so glad you enjoy the series - I love learning more about everyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  17. mjskit @ mjskitchen.comAugust 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

    Your story of the Roman Centurion costume is just too funny!!! I am an insomiac so I can't have anything with caffeine after lunch or I'm up past my usual 2 am. I'm not the least bit interested in a cruise because I hate being land locked and I get motion sickness very easy. Silly? I know all the words to the song "Signs" by the Five Man Electrical Band and in college, every time someone played it on the jukebox one of my girlfriends (or all of us) and I would stand on a table and sign it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I probably wouldn't want to take a cruise either if I had sea-sickness troubles or land-locked fears - fortunately, so far I've never been seasick and I'm strange because I like small spaces for coziness but great big wide open spaces like deserts and forests. I'm so glad you enjoyed the costume story and I love picturing you climbing onto a table to sing Signs!

    ReplyDelete