Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday Tutor: Featuring Just As Delish

Spiced Roasted Chick Peas Snack
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas


Every Tuesday I choose a different friend to be my tutor for a day: I select one of their original recipes, I make the recipe following my friend's instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I scarf down as much as my belt-line will permit - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



Today's Tuesday Tutor: Just As Delish

My tutor today is Shannon from Just As Delish, a wonderful blogger who is always making easy and delicious healthful food from whole food ingredients with a firm belief that her creations should be "just as delish" as pre-made snacks or processed foods. A self-professed food addict, Shannon shares her favorite from-scratch dish with passion and creativity.

The spicy roasted chickpeas I'm sharing today are a perfect example of Shannon's healthful from-scratch creations that are easy and Just As Delish as a bag of potato chips or bucket of popcorn. And you know me - I love beans and I'm always trying to find new ways to incorporate them into my life. Because they're crazy good for, they're super cheap, and they're so versatile. So if you think you don't like beans, try these additive roasted chickpeas.

About the Author
  1. "My illness 2 years ago was a blessing in disguise. Being put on a strict detox diet got me started cooking from scratch and that helped improve my cooking skills along the way."
  2. "I get lost reading recipes, I understand better with step-by-step instruction photos or watching videos."
  3. "I would avoid complicated recipes or I would try tweaking the recipe to simplify the method. Kitchen has become my creative playground."
  4. "I hardly bake because I don't have the patience to be precise with the measurements. That's why I prefer easy cooking."
  5. "Besides food, my other love is travel.. not for sightseeing, but for food! I can go on for hours and hours, in search for the local favourite food and ingredients."



Original recipe courtesy of Just As Delish
For a printable recipe with complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Adding 1 Gallon of Water to Stock Pot
These chickpeas are super easy to make, but there is a lot of waiting around for things. So
I recommend cooking your chickpeas in advance (a day or more) and then roasting the chickpeas
when you're going to be around the house for a couple hours.
To cook the chickpeas, you can follow Shannon's easy soak-and-cook instructions or you can
use the slow-cooker method I used. The slow-cooker method takes about 4 hours. It all starts
with a gallon of bowling water. I bring the water to the boil in a large covered stock pot.

CorningWare Pyroceram Slow Cooker
While the water comes to the boil, you can haul out your slow cooker and turn it on to pre-heat.
Preheating is only necessary if you're using stoneware (I used my Pyroceram CorningWare
slow cooker, so I didn't need to preheat it)

1 Cup of Dried Chick Peas
Measure your chickpeas - you will need at least 1 cup of dried chickpeas.

Chick Peas Added to Slow Cooker
As soon as the water has reached the boiling point, add your chickpeas to the slow cooker...

Boiling Water Added to Beans
...then pour in the boiling water to cover the beans...

Slow Cooker Covered
Cover the slow cooker and turn on to the "High" setting and cook for 1.5 hours. Then reduce
heat to the "Low" setting and cook for another 2 to 2.5 hours until chickpeas are soft

Cooked Chick Peas, Drained
Shut off slow cooker and drain chickpeas. I let mine cool in the colander for 15 minutes
before transferring to another dish or storing in the fridge

Drained Chick Peas Added to Bowl
When you're ready to roast the chickpeas, preheat the oven to 400F and pour the chickpeas
into a medium sized bowl. Next come the spices which transform these beans into a delicious snack

Whole Anise Seed
First come anise. If you can find anise powder, great. If not, you can make your own anise
powder using whole anise seed like I did

Anise Seed Added to Mortar
Add 1/2 teaspoon of anise seed to a mortar and grind the seeds with the pestle

Anise Seed Ground into Powder with Pestle
Once you have crushed all the little seeds, you will arrive at anise powder. Add to the chickpeas

Salt and Anise Seed Added to Chick Peas
Next add 1 teaspoon of salt - I used kosher salt

Smoked Chipotle Chile Powder Added to Chick Peas
Then add 2 teaspoons of ground chile powder - I used chipotle chile powder as I like the
smokey kick from the chipotle

Ground Cumin Added to Chick Peas
Next add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin - or more if you really love cumin

Chick Peas Coated in Spice Mix
Toss the chickpeas in the spice mixture to evenly coat.

Chick Peas Spread In Even Layer on Baking Sheet
Spread the chickpeas in an even layer on a baking sheet - I used a half sheet pan which worked
well and gave the beans plenty of room to move about. Once the oven is preheated, roast the
chickpeas for about an hour until crispy

Tossing Chick Peas During Roasting
Stir and toss the chickpeas with a spatula every 15 minutes while roasting. This helps to ensure
all sides of the chickpeas roast evenly without any nasty burned bits

Roasted Chick Peas Cooling
When the chickpeas are fully roasted, they will shrink in size and be crispy and crunchy.
Let them cook on the baking sheet for 15 minutes until fully cooled before serving or storing

Spiced Roasted Chick Peas Closeup
These make the perfect snacking food - light, crunchy, packed with bold flavor, and surprisingly
filling. And did I mention they're good for you? I plan to keep these on hand from now on
because they're so easy to make and so much better for me than that stray cookie in the freezer...


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • A satisfying snack has to have the right texture and flavor - and these roasted chickpeas are packed with flavor and additively crunchy. And because they're beans, they're also surprisingly filling so unlike popcorn or potato chips, a handful will squelch the gnawing hunger that drove you to snack.
     
  • This recipe is so easy to make - and there's nothing to stop you from making an even bigger batch for more frequent snacking. The next time I make these (which will be soon to keep me from snacking on less healthful options), I plan to cook and roast 2 cups of chickpeas so they last longer...
     
  • I thought the chickpeas could use a little more salt to offset the inherent chalkiness of the bean, so I recommend tossing in a tablespoon or so of sea salt into the cooking water. That way, the chickpeas will absorb the salt gradually during the cooking process before roasting.
     
  • Don't be afraid of spice - beans are so bland they really need some help. I loved Shannon's spice mix, but feel free to experiment with different layers of flavor. Just don't skimp or all you'll taste is chalk...

8 comments:

  1. such a great idea to cook the chickpeas in slow cooker, never thought of that. save me another step of soaking and then cooking. your post reminds me it's time to roast some chickpeas. Great write-up as always & thanks again for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Shannon, and I've been using the slow cooker method for a while now because then I can set it and walk away. Because I'm a little bit lazy ;) Delicious snack and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Love the idea of not having to worry while they cook away.

    -h (@taste-buds)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed and definitely give the slow cooker method a try if you're lazy like me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Shannon and her blog. She's a really kind and sweet lady and glad to see her here! The chickpeas in slow cooker sounds fun. Another reason I need a slow cooker. Hehee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mjskit @mjskitchen.comAugust 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM

    I've tried roasted chickpeas twice now without success, so thanks for this tutorial! I don't think I cooked them long enough. Love the spices and I do love Shannon's blog but haven't visited in a while. Thanks for getting me back there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following Shannon's blog for about a year now and I really enjoy both the concept of her blog and the food she creates. She comes up with a lot of inspired creations and I'm so happy I could share these roasted chickpeas. And I wouldn't buy a slow cooker just for beans, but they are handy to have around...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My chickpeas were almost to the point of mushy when I drained them. I let them drain for about an hour before I put them in the fridge overnight. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and Shannon is another inspiration to me...

    ReplyDelete