Friday, September 14, 2012

Food Fetish Friday - Fixes in Progress

Thinking Break


Hi everyone,

It was recently brought to my attention that the practice of using the image source from another blogger's photo (known as "hot-linking") will negatively impact the host blogger's servers and is actually considered stealing bandwidth. Unfortunately for me (and for Food Fetish Friday fans), 99% of all images that have appeared in the Food Fetish Friday series use the original blogger's image url and are thus hot-linked images. And so Food Fetish Friday has been stealing bandwidth from other bloggers since the inception of the series. My deepest apologies to all bloggers featured in Food Fetish Friday.

My original intent behind using the hot-link method rather than uploading other bloggers' images to my serve and blog was to avoid the appearance of stealing other bloggers' photos. The now painfully obvious result of stealing bandwidth never occurred to me.

But an excuse for stealing is still just an excuse, so to avoid stealing further bandwidth from other bloggers (which I absolutely do NOT want to do!), I am taking the proactive approach of reverting-to-draft all previous Food Fetish Friday posts until the current hot-linked images have been replaced with images hosted by my blog's server. Future Food Fetish Friday posts will never use hot-linked images.

Due to the sheer number of Food Fetish Friday posts (and the number of gorgeous photos within each post), it will take me quite some time to correct all these images. But it's the right thing to do, so I greatly appreciate your patience.

If you have any questions regarding this change, please feel free to contact me. Again, my deepest apologies to all affected bloggers and a huge THANK YOU to those who brought this issue to my attention.

Javelin Warrior


20 comments:

  1. I had no idea as I'm so technologically challenged but I really appreciate you owning this and being so honest with us. Good luck with update, I hope it isn't too painful for you and keep up the great website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! I do know how long it takes -- I've been restoring photo links of my own photos on my site seemingly forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably never would have realized the problem myself if some kind bloggers hadn't taken the time to educate me. I'm so glad they did and any pain on my end is worth it to get this fixed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - I'm sure it will take quite a bit of time, but it's definitely worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have even know such a thing existed. Thanks for the heads up and your honesty is extremely refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mellissa@ibreatheimhungrySeptember 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

    Looking forward to FFF getting back online - love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, computer challenged as I am This would never have occurred to me! Good luck with what sounds like a painfully long process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even realize that was what you were doing or I would have suggested it as well. Hey, we live and learn Mark. The only other thing to keep in mind is make sure you have permission to use pictures. I know people don't worry about that too much, but using the wrong picture without permission can land you in a heap of hot water facing some hefty damages. I try to protect my content these days but if someone asks me, I generally give permission. The thing I try to prevent is someone just copy/pasting my blog posts as their own or just to post on their site - google likes "ORIGINAL" content that isn't duplicated all across the internet (yet it still happens). Anyway... I still love your blog... you make my mouth salivate and my tastebuds hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Don I didn't realize that's what you were doing! I've got loads of bandwidth so not a problem for me, although I can see why some people might not like it (and it's really better not to). Kudos for sorting this out - sorry that it's going to be a bit of work, though! Eager to see you back online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves)September 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM

    Echoing some of the other comments, your honesty about this is great! And really informative because I had no idea that hot link stole bandwidth from other sites. Luckily I don't think I have any on my blog (but I'll be checking tonight, just in case!). So I really appreciate you letting us know – thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words, Kim - they're much appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Mellissa - the good news is, the series can continue forward while I work on fixing previous posts and in the end FFF will be better than ever...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The learning part is certainly the important part ;) Thanks for the feedback, Don, and misplaced best intentions and such ;) I'm just glad I only have 11 months worth of posts to correct instead of something like 24 or 48 months ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the kind words, John - fortunately, the series can continue forward even while I'm working on correcting previous posts. And in the end, the series will be better for all the changes...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad I could help and thank you for the kind words, Mel. All the supportive comments and emails have been amazing and greatly appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you on only 11 months of posts to go back and correct. I've got so many posts, it would take me forever to try and change something. Yep - learning is the key part!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a bit technically challenged, therefore I had no idea about this. However, I do appreciate it, and I appreciate your honesty and willingness to go back and fix everything. Thank you for educating me on this topic and I'm sure others. Can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jody_thehobbyroomdiariesSeptember 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

    Ohmygosh, what a nightmare for you to deal with. I never really thought about that with linking images before, but I guess it makes sense. Way to do the right thing, although, I'm not surprised you are, you just seem like that kind of guy. So tell me this, when I copy images (that I'm allowed to, like your MWL Monday button) it links to the original on Flickr, is that stealing bandwidth?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's not stealing bandwidth since you have my permission to use the source image hosted on Flickr. And since it's hosted on Flickr, it really wouldn't be stealing my bandwidth even if you didn't have my permission because I don't control Flickr's servers nor do I pay for bandwidth with Flickr. Of course, I suppose if enough people were to all use the same image hosted on a server, I suppose it could in theory crash the server hosting that image. But that seems unlikely with Flickr or Google's Picasa (which stores the photos uploaded to Blogger blogs).

    ReplyDelete
  20. mjskit @mjskitchen.comSeptember 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

    I did not know this! thanks for the explanation and warning and also, thanks for caring!!!! However, you have a HUGE task in front of you. Good luck Darlin!

    ReplyDelete