Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Kindred Spirits and Fist Fights

Mighty WarriorStuffed AnimalsPinkA&F Leather Sandals
Marcellus from Ben HurIn the RainNoHate NoH8Spider-man Collectibles
Heir to the Empire TrilogyCalphalon Pan3rd Rock from the SunThe Boy with a Drum Book


I want you and me to be friends.

I'm NOT talking about Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Klout or any of the other social spaces. You don't need to subscribe to my blog, you don't need to leave me comments, you don't need to bestow an award on me. I just want you and me to become (better) friends.

Of course, that means we really need to get to know each other. So each week I candidly share stuff about myself. And if you'd like for me to get to know you better, I invite you to share along with me. You don't have to be a blogger to participate and even if we're already good friends, I hope you'll still share with me.



Fist

When I was a kid,
I never got a bloody nose. I never even got into a real physical fight with another kid. At the time, it seemed rather fortunate that I never had to deal with black eyes or bruises, but looking back now, I feel a little cheated. Not that I want to get into a fight, but I always wonder what would have happened. How would I have reacted? Who would have won the fight?

When I grow up,
I want to study self-defense. I studied Tae Kwon Do for 3 years in high school but I never really felt like it learned how to protect or defend myself. I simply earned a lot of belts in a whole variety of colors. I'm not sure exactly what I'd be defending myself from, exactly - maybe from the nefarious things lurking in dark rooms.
Door Adjar

I used to love
  • Puma running shoes
  • Cotton candy
  • Combos (snack food)
  • Salad spinner
Puma Running Shoes

I still love
  • Garlic press
  • Swimming Upstream (film)
  • Root beer (especially from glass bottles)
  • Tequila
Garlic Press


There's one thing you should know about me,
I never watch sports (unless we're talking about swimming). Growing up, my dad had no use for any sport and so I never learned the basics of football, basketball, soccer, or even baseball. Today I have a vague notion of the objectives of each sport, but I never watch any of them. Which used to make for very awkward conversations around the water cooler at work. "Did you see last night's game?" "No." "Really? You missed a real upset!" "Well, I really don't follow any sports. Not my thing." "Ah."
Football




So tell me...
Have you ever been in a fist-fight? And if not, do you feel capable of defending yourself? Do you enjoy sports? If so, which ones and are you a religious fan?

If you do not feel comfortable posting your answers in a comment but would still like to share something about yourself, feel free to email me or direct message me on Twitter. And if there's a specific question you'd like me to answer next time, just let me know.



11 comments:

  1. I've been in a few fights, although not many and not intense. And although I enjoy watching sports (the Tour de France is must-see at my house; and I enjoy football), they can be such a time investment that I mostly don't (football works because it's once a week and I can tape it and zip through the commercial; the Tour is just a once a year thing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I read one of these posts about you I get the strong urge to write my own post about me for my blog. I love getting to really know people and I love sitting and just finding out all these little details from them. Keep on going. No, I've never been in a fist fight. I was never ever into sports and neither was my husband. We don't like them. Oh, sorry I played some tennis in high school. But as a family we LOVE watching professional rugby on tv. Love it! And follow the French rugby team religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad to hear the fights weren't too intense and I'm a little jealous because a part of me just wants to have had the experience... I do watch Olympic gymnastics and track & field every 4 years (along with swimming) because I do enjoy those sports and feel that a week or two commitment every 4 years should be doable ;) And DVRing stuff really does help a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing, Jamie, and I'm so glad you enjoy this series. It's been fun sharing and learning about everyone over the past couple of months... Since you've never been in a fist fight, do you feel in any way cheated like me? Maybe it's just me ;) And I can't say I don't like playing sports (because I used to enjoy kickball and touch football when I was a kid playing with neighborhood kids), but I guess I just can't get invested in WATCHING them or learning the rules ;) I've never seen professional rugby played but I'd imagine it's pretty brutal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mjskit @ mjskitchen.comSeptember 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

    I've never been in a fist fight thank goodness. There was a time when I might have been able to defend myself, but that time is long gone. I use to be a huge football fan after having grown up in a house where watching the LSU tigers and the Dallas cowboys was as important as going to church on Sunday morning. It took 40 years, but I finally grew tired of football. Bobby isn't a big sports fan either so now we only watch the playoffs of football and then the World Series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally never got into fights with other people because I knew how to watch what I said and talk my way out of things. My two brothers though and i would often get into fights but I didn't do that as much as they did. I was generally a peaceful person and hated fighting - still do. One kid in school took a major dislike to me and ending up bashing my head into a wall several times one day after he unexpectedly jumped me. Of course my father - well he just figured we were there to beat. I think we were his stress relief.

    Sports I can live without. I've learned to like baseball because Jeff really loves it. When I first went to games with him, he would answer my million questions I have about the game. I still don't fully understand all of it, but sometimes I enjoy watching a game. i just don't enjoy crowds of people and being that close to strangers. It is too much for me.

    This time of year though when everyone thinks you have to watch football and there is something wrong with you if you don't, bugs the daylights out of me. I could care less about football. I don't even have the slightest idea of what it is about and it is so boring to me. If I want to sleep in front of the TV, its one of the things that will help that in a major way.

    Now swimming on the other hand (especially the diving).... that's another story! And I'm not going to say why - I'll leave that up to your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's probably a good thing you (and I) have never been in fist fights :) And if I had grown up in a different family, I would quite likely feel very differently towards sports. Like if I had been in your family ;) Thank you so much for sharing, MJ, and love getting to know you better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pretty much the same as you, Don - I really didn't get into fights and I used to think of myself as "non confrontational" and someone I used to work for once called me "shrewd" - and both are probably true. I'm more easily "worked up" now than I used to be and I think some of that comes from having to deal with political infighting and such as the companies I worked for...


    As for sports, I can tolerate football if I have to and there's food around to munch on - but baseball to me is the worst because it's SO SLOW! Not that football is much better ;) And of course everyone should like to watch swimming because it's such competitive fun... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww competitive - that's the word for swimming... LOL! You're right though - baseball is so slow, but at the stadium, I have fun watching people I think as much as the game. I never got along that great in companies - some I did, but the last one I worked full time in were awful to work for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been to a couple of bloodied-nose fist fights behind the school after class because I hated bullies. Not that I won the fight (LOL) but just to prove that I could stand up against bullies and take them on. These fights were during the days where you just settle the score, shake hands after the fight, and then become friends again. I like watching sports especially football and basketball only because I am watching it with my son which I think is the best part. You know, that is the time we hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate bullies too, Ray. I used to be intimidated by them, but now I mostly get angered to the point where I feel I need to confront them. Although it's never been in a situation where fists were involved, typically just words ;) I admire your courage in standing up to them even if you didn't win the fight...


    If I had children I think I would feel differently about sports and I know I would encourage them to participate in a sport they loved. I think team sports especially build character and teach valuable lessons. I probably still wouldn't love watching sports, but like you said, it would be time that could be spent together...

    ReplyDelete