Thursday, September 27, 2012

Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese for #MuyBuenoCookbook Spotlight

Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese with Bread


I just found my new favorite appetizer. Or snack. Or entree.  Or comfort food.

I'm not exaggerating and my enthusiasm is really a tribute to the marvelous flavor and texture of this dish. I suppose I might be SLIGHTLY prejudiced due to all the melty cheese just begging for a hunk of dipping bread. Because you know I can't resist cheese or bread and when together I fairly swoon...

But despite any prejudice on my part, it in no way diminishes how delicious, comforting and soul-warming this dish is. I used to think hot spinach and artichoke dip served with a side of warm dipping bread was the true pinnacle of melted cheese conveyance - I was wrong. Spinach and artichoke dip ain't got nothing on Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese. I know - the name is a real mouthful, but for something this satisfying, it's totally forgivable.

Unlike the Tomatillo Salsa Verde I shared from the Muy Bueno Cookbook on Tuesday, this recipe packs in some spicy heat. On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 will have you clutching your burning throat and gasping in fiery agony), this recipe is about a 6.5 for me. It's spicy, but thanks to the roasting of the chiles, all that glorious cheese, and plenty of buttermilk, the heat feels more like an intense warmth that slowly builds as I dip and dip and dip and dip. And dip again.

Dipping Bread in Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese

And like so many pure comfort foods, this dish is a true labor of love - and it helps if you remember the love while you're roasting, peeling and seeding the chiles. (Actually, the original recipe uses peeled roasted chiles, not seeded, but I chose to seed mine in fear of overwhelming spice.) Remember how happy your loved ones will be when you serve up a hot bowl of this amazing dip. And how cooking is really all about love, not speed. And how all the painstaking effort of removing stubborn, sticky seeds from 13 roasted Anaheim chiles is really saying "I love you."

Because really, it is worth every stubborn, sticky little seed. 


Just like Tuesday's post, this amazing recipe is part of the Muy Bueno Cookbook Spotlight & Cook-Off sponsored by Hippocrene and hosted at girlichef. I hope you enjoy and if you're intrigued by today's recipe, be sure to check out the Muy Bueno Cookbook and blog for even more recipes, stories, and flavors.

The new Muy Bueno Cookbook spans 3 generations of women and their passion for food - lovingly told through stories, anecdotes and favorite recipes. The cookbook is infused with 3 different flairs of Latin and Mexican cuisine, all presented through gorgeous photos of treasured family recipes.

Check back next week for even more recipes and a detailed review of the Muy Bueno Cookbook. Hippocrene is also graciously sponsoring a cookbook giveaway - which means someone (hopefully you) will get their very own beautiful copy of the Muy Bueno Cookbook. Details for the giveaway will be announced next week.



How to Make: Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese
Original recipe courtesy of Muy Bueno Cookbook
Printable Recipe

13 Anaheim Chiles
It's essential you roast your own chiles for this recipe. There's nothing difficult about roasting
chiles, but it does take some time and attention. And removing the skins and seeds from the
roasted chiles is painstaking work. It's worth it, though. It all starts with 13 Anaheim chiles.

2 Jalapeno Chiles
If you want a little extra spice, add 2 jalapeño peppers.

Chiles Spaced Evenly on 2 CorningWare Broiler Trays
To roast the chiles, position an oven rack under the boiler and preheat the broiler element
Evenly space chiles the on 2 baking sheets or boiler-safe trays. Pierce each chile with a sharp
knife. I used my CorningWare broiler trays for roasting which worked really well and cleaned
up easily. Place the sheets or trays under the boiler for 3-5 minutes until the first side is charred,
then turn the chiles to char the next side under the boiler for 3-5 minutes. Continue to turn
the chiles until all sides are charred (this took about 20 minutes in total for me).

Roasted Anaheim Chiles
Your chiles should be evenly charred and wrinkly on all sides when finished roasting.

Chiles Transferred to Steaming Dish
Transfer the chiles to a container or plastic bag (I don't like plastic to touch hot food, so I used
a separate dish for this). 

Roasted Chiles Covered with Damp Towel
Cover the chiles with a damp cloth and let rest for at least 30 minutes until cool enough to
handle. The damp cloth is important as it helps to create steam inside the container which then
helps to loosen the skins from the flesh of the roasted chiles.

Peeling Cooled Roasted Anaheim Chiles
Once the chiles are cool enough to handle, remove the charred skin, stem, and inner seeds.
The seeds can be REALLY tricky to remove as they will stick to everything. I recommend
removing the skins of all the chiles before removing the seeds. Then keep a bowl of water handy
to rinse your fingers and/or chiles of the pesky, sticky seeds

Thinly Sliced Roasted and Peeled Anaheim Chile
Once the skins, stems and seeds are removed, thinly slice the Anaheim chiles into strips as shown

Thinly Sliced Roasted Anaheim Chiles
You will end up with a pile of strips

Finely Diced Roasted Jalapeno Chiles
Next dice the skinned and seeded roasted jalapeño peppers (if using)

4 Cheese Shredded Cheese Mix
Once you're finished with the chiles, the hard part is over and the dish comes together very
quickly. So you will want to have all of the remaining ingredients prepped before you begin
making the dish because it really does happen very quickly and you won't have time to grate
cheese, chop tomato or peel garlic. For the cheese, the recipe specified Asadero cheese. Sadly,
I could not find this cheese in block form or even in a shredded form all by itself, so I picked
up a bag of this 4 cheese mix. After a little Google research, it seems that Asadero and Queso
Quesadilla cheese are often used interchangeably and can be substituted with Monterey Jack
or Munster cheese.

Grating Munster Cheese
So I also used a cup of grated munster cheese in addition to a cup of the 4 cheese mix.

1/2 Yellow Onion, Peeled
You will also need half a yellow onion

Onion, Diced
Diced.

Tomato to be Diced
And 1 ripe tomato

Diced Tomato
Also diced.

3 Cloves Garlic, Ready to be Minced
You will need 3 cloves of garlic - I used my garlic press for these.

2 1/2 Cups Buttermilk in CorningWare Saucemaker
And finally comes the buttermilk. The original recipe recommended using suero, but I was
again sadly unable to procure it locally. The buttermilk is what gives this dish it's delicious
tang. Although you don't really taste the buttermilk exactly.

Tablespoon of Olive Oil in Large Skillet
You're ready to make this amazing dish - ready? It happens fast.
Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan.

Diced Onion Added to Hot Oil
Add the onion to the hot oil and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes until translucent

Minced Garlic Added to Translucent Onions
Add the minced garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant.

Diced Tomato Added to Onions and Garlic
Stir through the diced tomato

1 Tablespoon Flour Added to Tomatoes
Then add 1 Tablespoon flour and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously

Roasted Chiles Added to Pan
Add the chiles and jalapeño

Flavors of Chiles and Tomatoes Combined in Pan
Stir through the chiles to combine all the flavors evenly and continue to stir over medium heat
for 2 minutes. About this time, I recommend adding about 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt.

Pouring in Buttermilk to Chile Mixture
Increase the heat to medium high and stir in the buttermilk

Chile Mixture and Buttermilk Combined and Simmering
Bring the chiles and buttermilk to a boil, then remove from heat.

Adding Grated Cheese Off Heat
Add the grated cheese and stir to combine.

Covered Saute Pan to Allow Cheese to Melt
Cover the pan and let rest for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.

Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese Closeup
Serve immediately. I highly recommend serving baguette bread for dipping. It's simply sinful
how delicious the bread with the cheese and chiles really is. And so dang addictive!

Roasted Green Chiles with Buttermilk and Cheese Overhead
I refused to even sample the dip until I had taken all my photos. Because I knew once I started
eating, I'd have trouble stopping. Yes. Crazy good.



20 comments:

  1. Gerry @ Foodness GraciousSeptember 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

    Give me a dip and I'll be quiet for hours! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe for next week. We loved it too! The buttermilk did something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I've got quite enough love to make this, but I would be very happy to help you out in the dipping - it sounds like my sort of food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This wasn't my recipe choice this week but I knew it would be delicious. I can almost taste it slathered on a baguette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mjskit @ mjskitchen.comSeptember 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

    You've embraced the New Mexico style with these green chiles! What a fabulous dish! It's like a gourmet chile con queso! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe is VERY high on the list of things I want to make from this book. And you may have just pushed it to the top - AMAZING! Seriously, my mouth is in sprinkler mode. I want this right this minute. (...and that pic with the pile of chile strips is SO COOL). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked the dip, Gerry - I highly recommend the recipe. This one I will be making again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I've never had this before - it's so good and you're right, the buttermilk really does had something special...

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol I suppose if one did not seed the Anaheims then the task of making this might require a wee bit less love ;) But I'd be happy to share with you any day, Choclette...

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are SOO many recipes in the book that I want to try. It's been so tough settling on just a few, but the cheese and prospect of dipping bread was too much to resist ;) Thanks for the kind words...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mexican and southwest flavors, but I rarely make recipes with those flavors because I really haven't felt comfortable with the ingredients. This cookbook (and your blog, MJ) have gone a long way to warming me up to this cuisine :) It's a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol Thanks for your kind words, Heather. So glad you enjoyed and I hope you do get a chance to make this dip. I'll be making this again and again. And I can't wait to share this with other family and friends because it's just that yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was intrigued by this recipe but brisket tacos won out in the end. I wish we were close enough to swap a little bit with each other. I will definitely be making this sooner than later. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I giggled while reading your post because I really dislike peeling and deseeding roasted chiles. It's such a mess and it's kinda hard to do. At any rate, this dip looks phenomenal!! I seriously think I could make a dinner out of it:) So glad you gave it a go! Love the step-by-step photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love the smell of roasted peppers? It was so hard to choose which recipe to do next but at least we all get to experience them through each other. I have a huge bag of Anaheim chilies in my fridge that I really need to get busy on roasting...I see this dip gracing my kitchen in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denise @WholemadeGoodnessOctober 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM

    This looks great and it might just make it's way into the football snacks rotation. Bet it would also be great with poblanos for a bit more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have loved to swap a little of the chile con queso for some of the brisket tacos - that looked so good! I hope you enjoy when you get the chance to make this dip...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the kind words, Kim - and I really do dislike peeling and seeding chiles. it's so much work and they stick to EVERYTHING ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you really enjoy the dip if you get a chance to make it and I really do love roasting peppers. In the past I've only roasted bell peppers, but the Anaheims have a particularly delicious aroma while roasting... So spicy...

    ReplyDelete
  20. It really was delicious and I highly recommend it. Just make sure you've got plenty of dipping bread because this makes a LOT :)

    ReplyDelete