Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with The Cooking Actress

Homemade Chicken and Biscuits
Creamy Chicken on Biscuits


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I first met Kayle through a mutual blogger friend, Jenn from I'm Cookin' In My Kitchen (who was one of my Tuesday Tutors in 2012). Since discovering Kayle's tasty blog, I soon found we shared a passion for from-scratch cooking and delicious comfort food. Like today's Creamy Chicken on Biscuits. Or her fabulous Brown Butter Dark Chocolate and Pecan Cookies (scroll to the bottom for the photo and link).

Kayle was also an early participant in the Made with Love Mondays from-scratch food series. And her yummy food photos have been featured multiple times in the Food Fetish Friday series. She's always cooking up something scrumptious and her bubbly personality never fails to brighten up your day.

So please give a big welcome to Kayle - Welcome Kayle! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest  |  Instagram

Kayle, the writer behind The Cooking Actress, is a NYC actress who loves to whip up crave-worthy food in her teensy tiny kitchen, feed it to her boyfriend (and herself) and share it with all of the wonderful people on the interwebs!

Featured Recipe: Creamy Chicken on Biscuits



More About Today's Tutor
  1. I'm a happy, love-loving, dreamer kind of person.
  2. I spend far too much time in the day thinking about food, it's probably not normal.
  3. I live with my wonderful boyfriend of (almost) four years, Michael - who is gracious (*cough* lucky) enough to eat the food I make.
  4. I grew up in a house where processed, fast, junk food was pretty much the only option and now I am so passionate about trying to eat real, natural, from-scratch food as often as possible.
  5. I moved to NYC when I was 18 to go to acting conservatory and now I'm working at being a film/television actress, booking jobs whenever I can :).



How to Make: Creamy Chicken on Biscuits
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Diced Unsalted Butter
Start by prepping the ingredients for the biscuits. Dice 5 Tablespoons of cold butter and return to the refrigerator while you prepare the other ingredients.

Dry Ingredients in Food Processor Bowl
Add the all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.

Baking Sheet Lined with Parchment Paper
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 450F.

Flour and Butter in Pan to Make Roux
While the oven preheats, you can begin on the creamy chicken soup base. Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of all purpose flour to the melted butter and whisk over medium heat for several minutes to cook the roux.

1 Cup Skim Milk
Whisk 1 cup of milk into the roux to create a thick paste.

2 Cups Chicken Stock
Slowly whisk in 2 cups of chicken stock. I used my homemade chicken stock and substituted the stock for the chicken bouillon in Kayle's original recipe.

Smooth Chicken Soup
Whisk the soup until smooth without lumps. Continue to cook over medium heat until the soup thickens, whisking frequently.

Creamy Chicken Soup Seasoned with Salt and Pepper
Season the soup with salt and pepper. I used about 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper.

Roasted Chicken Breast
While the soup thickens, shred 12 ounces of chicken. I had a leftover roasted chicken breast weighing in at just over 12 ounces, so that's what I used.

Shredded Roast Chicken Added to Soup Base
Stir the shredded chicken into the soup.

Frozen Corn Added to Chicken Soup
Add a vegetable of your choice. I used frozen corn like Kayle but peas or broccoli would also be lovely. Continue to cook the soup until the corn and chicken are heated through.

Cold Butter Added to Flour Mixture
While the soup heats, you can finish the biscuits. Add the cold cubed butter to the dry ingredients in the food processor.

Butter In Pea-sized Pieces
Pulse the butter and flour together until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.

Buttermilk and Flour Combined in Medium Bowl
Dump the butter/flour pieces into a medium sized bowl and fold in 1 cup of milk.

Biscuit Dough Combined
Mix the ingredients until just moistened.

Cutting Out Biscuits
Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat out (or roll) the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits, regathering and patting out the dough scraps as needed.

Biscuits Ready to be Baked
Transfer the biscuits to the lined baking sheet.

Baked Biscuits
Bake for 10-12 minutes at 450F until golden (my oven took about 12 minutes).

Homemade Chicken and Biscuits Overhead
Serve the creamy chicken over biscuits and devour!


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • The recipe is marvelously adaptable to whatever you have on hand. Instead of corn, you could use peas. Or broccoli. If you have leftover turkey instead of chicken, no problem. And if you want to add that leftover onion or piece of celery, even better.
     
  • This recipe will feed an army! Well, maybe a small army. But definitely a big family (of like 8). Boyfriend Javelin and I found we only needed one biscuit per person, so unless you've got a major appetite from plowing fields all day or hauling in those nets of fish, there's plenty to go around (and maybe even some leftovers). Good news for such an easy recipe.
     
  • Season the creamy chicken base really well because the vegetables and chicken are both bland and need salt. And adding salt at the table just isn't the same as a properly seasoned base. So be generous with that salt.
     
  • The only change I would make to the recipe is to tweak the biscuits a little. The biscuits puffed up beautifully but turned out a little tougher than I was expecting. I may have overworked the dough when patting out. Or the unbleached all-purpose flour I used may have had a higher percentage of protein. Or there may not have been enough butter in the dough.

12 comments:

  1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)April 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

    Yayyy! So happy to be featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for being my tutor, Kayle! It was awesome having you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika (The Pancake Princess)April 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

    What a great guest tutorial :) You can definitely trust Kayle to teach you how to make awesome biscuits/chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely true, Erika! These chicken and biscuits were delicious... And I'm so glad you enjoyed the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, such a pleasure to be introduced to more lovely bloggers. This one is very interesting...chicken on biscuits! This must be a very American thing as it sounds like a very odd combo to me. But strangely appealing! Love the look of the other recipes too. Great tutorial JW. And lovely to be introduced to you Kayle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, great recipe! Those biscuits look so tremendous! Heck, everything does! Totally good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say it's a rustic American comfort food, Anneli ;) And super easy to make, especially if you've already got roasted chicken about. I'm so glad you enjoyed meeting Kayle and the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, John - the biscuits did puff up beautifully, didn't they! So glad you enjoyed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a nice tutorial post, Mark. I love those biscuits as they look very hearty and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)April 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

    Nice to meet you as well :)
    And yeah def. American hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Ray! The biscuits really did puff up nicely and the entire dish quite comforting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. mjskit @mjskitchen.comApril 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM

    Oh I love Kayle! How fun learning a little more about her. What a great recipe to try. It reminds me of my southern roots where anything creamy was use to smother biscuits. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete