Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Damn Delicious

Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce
Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I first met Chung-Ah over a year ago via Twitter. I think I was baking peanut butter blossoms and posting pictures to Twitter at the time and she tweeted back. At least I think that's how we met. But she is an amazing foodie with a gorgeous food blog and I always seem to be featuring her photos in the Food Fetish Friday series. Always. Chung-Ah was also an early contributor to the Made with Love Monday from-scratch food series, WAAAAAY back in the early days when there were only like 3 submissions a week. The point is, this Tuesday Tutor is long overdue!

To be honest, when I asked Chung-Ah to be my tutor, I was terribly nervous. Because how could I possibly do her amazing photos justice with iPhone photos? I mean seriously. But when she suggested I try these Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce, I knew it didn't matter how the photos turned out. I HAD to give it a try. These wings were featured some time ago in Food Fetish Friday and I've been wanting to try them ever since.

So please give a big welcome to Chung-Ah - Welcome, Chung-Ah! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Chung-Ah from Damn Delicious
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest

Chung-Ah Rhee is the author of Damn Delicious, a food blog filled with unique, homemade recipes with step-by-step photos to help facilitate your own recreations of these wonderful dishes. She loves green bananas and breaking a sweat at spin class.

Featured Recipe: Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I moved to Los Angeles from New York almost ten years ago, and now I can't stand any city that snows!
  2. Cheesecake is my ultimate weakness.
  3. Sometimes I'm too lazy to cook so cold cereal is my go-to dinner.
  4. I love green bananas.
  5. I'm obsessed with Lost.



How to Make: Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Foil Lined Baking Sheet
Line a baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 425F.

Spice Mix for Wings
Measure your spices for the spice rub for the wings. The only change I made to Chung-Ah's ingredients was to use chipotle chile power instead of regular. It adds a bit more smokey flavor to the final mix. Brown sugar is the real secret to these wings, allowing them to caramelize a bit and get extra crispy. After measuring your spices, thoroughly mix the rub together.

Whole Chicken Wings
I am such a wing-novice, I didn't know that wings have to trimmed and cut. So, if you want traditionally shaped wings, clip off the wing tip and then cut each wing in half (find the wing joint and use a sharp knife to halve the wing). Or you can do what I did and leave the wings intact. Add 2 pounds of chicken wings to a large bowl and pour 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over the wings.

Spice Mix Sprinkled Over Wings
Sprinkle the spice rub over the wings.

Chicken Wings Coated in Spice Rub
Using clean fingers, do your best to evenly coat the wings and work the rub into the skin. Take your time and don't be surprised if the rub turns into a thick paste...

Rubbed Chicken Wings on Lined Baking Sheet
Place the wings on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-40 minutes (depending on how you prepared your wings and how large the wings are).

Turning Wings After Baking First Side
Using tongs, flip the wings to cook on the second side halfway through the bake time.

Baked Wings, Ready to be Served
I baked my wings for 40 minutes and turned them 3 times to achieve crispy skin and caramelized sugars.

Homemade Roasted Red Peppers
While the wings bake, you can make the roasted red pepper sauce. I used homemade roasted red peppers. Dice the red pepper roughly.

Plain Fresh Goat Cheese
To make the dipping sauce creamy, next comes 2 ounces of goat cheese.

Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper and Sour Cream in Food Processor
Add the roasted red peppers, goat cheese, kosher salt and 2 Tablespoons of sour cream to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. I used the small bowl attachment mine.

Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce
Pulse to combine the ingredients into a chunky sauce. For a smoother sauce, puree.

Baked Chicken Wings with Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce Closeup
Once the wings are crisped to your liking, I recommend letting them rest for 10 minutes before serving. Otherwise they're way too hot to hold.

Ready to Eat Chicken Wings
Dunk wings generously in the sauce - the two together are divine.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • I am convinced anyone could make these wings. Even those who swear never to set foot in the kitchen. They're so easy - no frying, no specialized equipment, no crazy techniques. And if you don't have a food processor, just use a electric hand mixer or blender for the sauce. There's absolutely no reason not to make these.
     
  • The wings are so tasty - but they're even better with the dipping sauce. Chung-Ah says it's more of a dunking sauce, I heartily agree! Dunk those wings and you'll really enjoy the layers of flavor between the sauce and the spice rub. And if you're not big on spicy heat, the goat's cheese and sour cream helps to cool things down.
     
  • There's not a lot of brown sugar in this recipe (just 2 teaspoons), but it really helps to give these wings a crispy coating. And a little extra flavor. Personally, I didn't notice the flavor as much but that's probably because I was too busy enjoying the dunking sauce. Seriously, that sauce is awesome.
     
  • I always wondered why the wings at restaurants were these odd, little oblong shaped bits of meat and bone that didn't resemble a chicken wing at all. Now I know why. For traditionally shaped wings, you need to trip off the tip of the wing and cut the wing in half at the joint. Yeah...I didn't know that but I'm still happy with how these wings turned out.

11 comments:

  1. Mich Piece of CakeApril 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM

    It looks mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for having me this week! And I'm so glad you tried this - you just reminded me that I need to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome wing recipe!! I am definitely going to make them, they look soooo good with that dip! Lovely to be introduced to Chung-Ah, I'm going to start following her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wings were delicious, Mich! Chung-Ah was an excellent tutor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for being my tutor today and for recommending these delicious wings. So tasty and so happy to have been able to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and definitely give these wings a try, Anneli! And Chung-Ah is a wonderful blogger with so many tasty recipes, so I highly recommend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chung-Ah always has great recipes, I'm actually looking for real estate near her so I can beg for leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe from a great source! Love this - now I'm hungry for wings. (Really hungry!) Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mjskit @mjskitchen.comApril 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

    What a great dish to select for this week's Tuesday Tutor! I love chicken wings and these look delicious. That dipping sauce sounds perfect with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyway to get the recipe since the page isn't up anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ali, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and for catching the broken links. Damn Delicious has moved to an new URL and I have updated the links to reflect this change. You can now find the original recipe here: http://damndelicious.net/2012/05/29/baked-brown-sugar-chicken-wings-with-roasted-red-pepper/

    ReplyDelete