Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Delicieux

Smoked Sausage and Leek Bake


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I first met Anneli through the Food Fetish Friday series and she has been an regular contributor to the Made with Love Mondays from-scratch food series. She's a true foodie and fortunate enough to live in France (so jealous!) and I'm ever inspired by Anneli's creativity and fearless approach to exotic (to me) ingredients.

When Anneli recommended I give today's Smoked Sausage and Leek Bake a try, it was love at first sight. Because of the cheese. And the leeks. And the smoked sausage. I'm such a fan of leeks and cheese together (instant comfort food) and I've always wanted to experiment more with sausage. How could I say no? How could I?

So please help me welcome Anneli - Welcome, Anneli! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Anneli from Delicieux
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest

Anneli Faiers is the author of Delicieux, a food blog written straight from her farmhouse kitchen in southwest France. A busy Mum of two, passionate about all food and working as a private chef when time allows! You will find her sipping cold rose in the sunshine whenever she has the chance!

Featured Recipe: Smoked Sausage & Leek Bake



More About Today's Tutor
  1. I am blessed to live in a part of the world celebrated for it's wonderful produce and cuisine. The heart of 'duck' country, famous for Armangac production, with daily local markets on my doorstep, Gascony inspires me every day and makes me excited about every meal.
     
  2. I am lucky to have a healthy vegetable patch packed full of seasonal produce that tastes amazing. However, I must confess that I am not at all green fingered and my husband must take full credit for all the lovely veggies that I can play with in my kitchen.
     
  3. I am half Swedish and am also inspired by Swedish cuisine. Anchovies, common in Scandinavian cooking, are one of my favourite ingredients and I love the way they transform dishes and add a depth of flavour that is so unique. I add them to lots of things and you would never know….pop a couple in your gravy and be amazed!
     
  4. I am a nervous baker! I have never had much of a sweet tooth and as a result, I am not confident with desserts. Although since having kids, I have developed a taste for sweeter things and so I am slowly getting over my pudding phobia.
     
  5. I have a little addiction to Michelin starred restaurants! Not something I can indulge in too often due to cost but I have been very lucky and have eaten at quite a few. Highlights include Le Gavroche, where I got to look round the kitchen and even meet the great man himself - Michelle Roux Jr. And La Tour D'Argent in Paris when it still held 3 stars. Founded in 1582, a favourite of Henry IV, a fabulous restaurant steeped in history and famous for it's duck. I have had some simply unforgettable meals in some stunning restaurants and they were worth every penny!



How to Make: Smoked Sausage & Leek Bake
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Baby Red Potatoes
You will need approximately 1/2 pound of baby new potatoes. I used baby red potatoes.

Baby Red Potatoes
Wash and remove any blemishes from the potatoes while you bring a medium pot of water to the boil.

Baby Red Potatoed Added to Cooking Water
Add the potatoes to the boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Drain.

Sliced Leeks in Collander to be Washed
While the potatoes cook, you can prepare the remaining ingredients. Thinly slice and wash 4 leeks (light green parts only). Make sure to wash the leeks thoroughly after slicing to remove all sand and grit. Drain the leeks.

Washed Sliced Leeks in Saute Pan
Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the leeks to the hot oil and melted butter and stir to coat leeks. Saute leeks for 8-10 minutes until softened.

Smoked Andouille Sausage
While the leeks saute, prepare your sausage. You will want roughly 3/4 lb of sausage - I used smoked Andouille sausage with also has a bit of spicy heat.

Smoked Sauce, Sliced
Thinly slice he sausage.

Smoked Sausage Added to Sauted Leeks
Add the sliced sausage to the softened leeks and stir to combine the leeks and sausage. Cook the sausage for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Heaping Tablespoon of Flour Added to Melted Butter
While the sausage and leeks finish cooking, make your roux by melting 2 Tablespoons of butter in a medium pot and adding a heaping Tablespoon of all purpose flour to the melted butter. Whisk to combine and cook the mixture for 3 minutes.

1 1/4 Cups Skim Milk
Measure 1 1/4 cups of skim milk.

Roux Prepared
With the pot over medium-low heat, slowly whisk in the milk to create a smooth roux. If any lumps remain, whisk vigorously. Season with salt and cracked black pepper to taste (I added 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper).

Grated Swiss, Cheddar and Gruyere Cheese
Grate your cheese (you will need a total of roughly 1/2 pound of grated cheese). I used 2 ounces each of sharp cheddar, Gruyere and Swiss cheeses. I recommend grating your cheese before you begin the roux.

Cheese Whisked Into Roux to Make Cheese Sauce
Off the heat, whisk in the grated cheese to the white sauce and allow cheeses to melt together.

Smoked Sausage and Leeks Added to Cheese Sauce
Add the sauteed leeks and sausage to the cheese sauce. Stir thoroughly to combine.

Cooked Red Potatoes Smashed with Fork
Smash the drained cooked potatoes with a fork.

Cheesy Bake Toped with Potatoes and Olive Oil
Add the cheesy leeks and sausage to a baking dish and top with the smashed potatoes. Add a drizzle of olive oil over top of the potatoes (to help them brown in the oven). I used my Corning Ware 2.5 quart shallow casserole dish which worked quite well without allowing the cheese to bubble over in the oven.

Smoked Sausage and Leeks Cheesy Bake
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400F. Allow the dish to cool for 10-15 minutes in order for the cheese to set slightly before serving.

Serving of Smoked Sausage and Leeks Cheesy Bake
I recommend serving with a seasonal vegetable and greens salad. Otherwise you may be tempted to go back for seconds, thirds, fourths, fifths...


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • Comfort food. That's exactly what this cheesy bake is all about. The cheese sauce, the smoked sausage, the potatoes, the leeks - it all adds up to a dish that will warm you through. Right to your soul. It's so comforting, it's hard to stop eating.
     
  • If you enjoy bursts of intense flavor, slicing the sausage is the way to go. If you prefer a blending of flavors, then small dice the sausage instead. Boyfriend Javelin prefers a more blended flavor, I prefer the bursts of flavors. To each their own.
     
  • Taste your smoked sausage before seasoning your cheese sauce with salt or pepper. My smoked sausage packed quite a bit of spicy warmth so I didn't need to add much pepper. But then again, Boyfriend Javelin asked for more pepper. So taste as you go and customize based on preference.
     
  • I tend to go a little crazy on cheese whenever I get the chance, so I probably added too much. So after removing the bake from the oven, I had to let it rest for about 15 minutes in order to set up before I could scoop out a portion. But if you simply cannot wait, it also makes a tasty dip with crusty bread! 



    More Must-Try Recipes from Delicieux


    Veal Escalopes with Creamy Calvados & Apple Sauce

    Super Sexy Strange: Spaghetti Squash

    Authentic Unbeatable Swedish Meatballs




    My friends Camilla from Fab Food 4 All and Helen from Fuss Free Flavours host this wonderful Credit Crunch Munch challenge each month where it's all about saving money while enjoying delicious food. To save money making this cheesy bake, watch for leeks to go on sale, buy your cheeses in bricks instead of pre-shredded and skip the more expensive Gruyere and stick with just cheddar and Swiss.


    Sharing is also love and I love all of the following. So I'm sharing. So do check out these great roundups for more inspiration.






    14 comments:

    1. Camilla @FabFood4AllApril 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM

      What a great tutorial Mark and what a pleasure it is to finally have you visit our Credit Crunch Munch challenge - you see you can do frugal too! My mouth is so watering now so you've done a great job and I'm sure Anneli is very proud of you too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much for the kind words, Camilla! I'm so glad you enjoyed and happy to be a part of Credit Crunch Munch (love the name!). And big thanks to Anneli for such a delicious recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for the reminder of this delicious blog and blogger....and for sharing one of her wonderful dishes. This one would definitely be hubby approved!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm so pleased this would be approved by your hubby - it was delicious! And Anneli is so wonderful and it was a pleasure featuring her...

      ReplyDelete
    5. For true with such lovely ingredients it must be a great eat!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Mark what a great series! The dish you featured sounds really good. I love everything potatoes and leeks plus the sausage sounds like a great addition. Thanks for sharing and the intro to a new blog.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks so much for the kind words, Chris - Anneli's recipes was so tasty and quite easy to prepare as well!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I'm so glad you enjoyed meeting Anneli and her tasty bake! This is a fun series I've missed doing and it's great to be in a place to bring it back...

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great series! And great post. I love this dish! I'm a sucker for anything with sausage, and andouille is one of my favorites. Good stuff - thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    10. First of all, thank you so much Mark for featuring me! I was honoured that you asked me and I had such fun putting it together with you. It's a great series that I followed in the past and had always wanted to be a part of. Looking forward to finding out about all your future chosen tutors!
      Secondly, thank to you all who have left such lovely comments. I am so pleased that you liked my recipe and I hope you might pop along to Delicieux and check out some more! It's such a great way to meet other foodies. I am a happy blogger indeed :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. What a FABULOUS post and a LOVELY tutor too! Great recipe and as always a vibrant and interesting post!

      I also have TWO great events that run every month and are hugely successful if you would like to add them?

      They are Tea Time Treats that I host with What Kate Baked and Herbs on Saturday that I host myself!

      You can grab the badges from my site or I can email them to you!

      http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/tea-time-treats

      http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/herbs-on-saturday

      ReplyDelete
    12. I hadn't done much with andouille before, but I really like it now! I used to default to kielbasa, but I really like the heat from the andouille... So glad you enjoyed the post, John!

      ReplyDelete
    13. So happy to have had you for my tutor, Anneli! And I'm so glad you suggested this dish because not only did I enjoy it, but it appears to also be a hit with readers! It's wonderful to be back sharing this series again...

      ReplyDelete
    14. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post with Anneli, Karen! She truly is a lovely blogger and this was such a tasty dish... I did know that you hosted both challenges - in this case, I did not link-up this post to either as I didn't feel it fit with either challenge as it's not a Tea Time Treat and it doesn't really use herbs. I met the qualifications for the bloghops shown above and so was able to share with them...

      ReplyDelete