Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Perfect Deviled Eggs

Perfect Deviled Eggs Closeup



PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Fear Conquered: Deviled Eggs

"You can make them," Boyfriend Javelin says, darkly. "But I not saying I'll eat them." He's not smiling and it's no joke. The man has never liked deviled eggs. Not at parties, not at cookouts, not ever.

"So you're gonna make me eat them all myself?" I ask, trying to sound accusatory. "You wanna see me get fat?" Which will happen, because unlike Boyfriend Javelin, I love deviled eggs. Too much. Put a plate in front of me and watch what happens.

Perfect Deviled Eggs

"I don't care what you do with them," Boyfriend Javelin comes back, unrelentingly. "But you know I don't like deviled eggs."

"Maybe you'll like mine," I say. And I'm being intentionally manipulative, and he knows it. "You have to at least try one."

He glares, the kind of glare that means I've won. The glare that says we both know I won't have to eat them all myself. Just all but one. "I'll try ONE," he says. And rolls his eyes at me. "One."

He actually ate three that first time. But then my first attempt at deviled eggs were such a deviation from the traditional flavor that I can't really call them deviled eggs. More like vinegar paprika bombs. Boyfriend Javelin specifically hates the taste of cooked egg yolk or white, together or separate. So I added so much vinegar and smoked paprika and mustard, you wouldn't have known there was any egg left. I even managed to entirely mask the bland egg white.

Boyfriend Javelin was happy. "These aren't bad," he said after the second egg. "But I don't know that everybody would like 'em like this."

In fact, I'm fairly sure, NOBODY except egg-haters would have liked deviled eggs like that. And if you're reaching for a deviled egg, you probably don't hate eggs. So a year later, when I finally got around to attempting deviled eggs again, I cut back on the vinegar, paprika and mustard.

Boyfriend Javelin managed to eat two from that batch. "I think a lot of people would like these," he said agreeably. But he didn't say he liked them. And I took that as a good sign of progress.

Perfect Deviled Eggs, Sunlight

A few more attempts, a few more forced feedings and I was closer still. And Boyfriend Javelin was back to admitting he doesn't like deviled eggs. "But yours aren't bad," he reassured me. "I can eat yours without feeling sick."

Never have I heard higher praise. And although it may sound like I'm joking, I'm actually serious. I've finally found a deviled egg recipe so tasty, so irresistible, that even an ardent egg-hater like Boyfriend Javelin won't get sick. I admit, that's not much of a marketing slogan, but it's the truth.

These deviled eggs are precisely balanced in flavor and texture. The filling is thick but creamy, easily pipe-able without losing its shape. And unlike these eggs' predecessors, egg lovers can still enjoy the distinct flavor the yolks while egg haters will be pleased by the lack of "egginess". Maybe just this once, egg haters and egg lovers can unite. Throw a parade. Serve mountains of deviled eggs!

Then again, Boyfriend Javelin still made me eat most of these...



STORY  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Photo Tutorial

1 Dozen Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard boil a dozen eggs, drain and cool.

Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs
Carefully peel the eggs.

Removing Eggs from Hard Boiled Eggs
Slice eggs in half, lengthwise and separate eggs yolks from egg whites.

Yolks Removed from Hard Boiled Eggs
Arrange egg whites on a serving dish and set aside.

Hard Cooked Yolks in Bowl
Add the egg yolks to a medium sized bowl.

Adding Distilled Vinegar to Egg Yolks
Add the vinegar.

Homemade Mayonnaise
Add the homemade mayonnaise.

Prepared Yellow Mustard
Add the prepared mustard.

Worcestershire Sauce
Add the Worcestershire sauce.

Spice Mix for Deviled Eggs
Measure the spices.

Spice Mix Evenly Combined
Thoroughly mix the spices together.

Spice Mix Added to Eggs, Mayo and Mustard
Add the spices to the egg yolk mixture.

Mixing Deviled Egg Mixture with Fork
Mash all the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork.

Deviled Egg Mixture Smoothed with Fork
Continue to mix with a fork until the egg yolk mixture is mostly smooth.

Deviled Egg Mixture in Sealable Bag
Transfer the egg yolk mixture to a sealable bag.

Smoothed Deviled Egg Mixture
Squeeze out all the air, seal the bag and mash the mixture between your fingers until completely smooth (no little lumps).

Removing Corner of Bag with Scissors
With a pair of scissors, snip off the corn of the bag.

Perfect Deviled Eggs
Pipe a generous amount of the egg yolk mixture into each egg white cavity. Optionally chill the deviled eggs for up to 3 hours before serving.



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Perfect Deviled Eggs

    by Javelin Warrior
     Prep Time: 45 min
     Cook Time: 30 min

Ingredients (makes 24 egg halves)
  • 12 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
  • 5 Tablespoons homemade mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
Instructions
  1. Slice the peeled eggs in half lengthwise and gently remove the egg yolks from the surrounding egg whites; arrange egg white halves on a serving platter and set aside
  2. In a medium bowl, mash together with a fork the egg yolks, mayonnaise, vinegar, prepared mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, mustard powder, salt and paprika
  3. Add the egg yolk mixture to a quart-sized sealable bag, squeeze out all the air and then seal the bag; mash the mixture together with your fingers until completely smooth
  4. With a pair of scissors, snip off one corner of the bag and squeeze a generous amount of the egg yolk mixture into each of the reserved egg white cavities
  5. Chill the deviled eggs for up to 3 hours before serving
An original recipe by Javelin Warrior. © 2013 Javelin Warrior. All rights reserved.
Powered by Recipage



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE

Hungry for Tips?
  • The hardest part of making deviled eggs is properly boiling the eggs - and then carefully peeling the eggs without destroying the egg whites. For helpful tips, check out my Hard Boiled Eggs technique.

    Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs
     
  • My good friend Dan, who has been making deviled eggs a lot long than I, recommended using a sealable bag for smoothing out the egg yolk mixture. It worked so well, I pirated the idea and I've been using it ever since.

    Smoothed Deviled Egg Mixture
     
  • Homemade mayonnaise can make the difference between ho-hum deviled eggs and outstanding deviled eggs. So I recommend you stick with homemade mayonnaise. If you choose to use the bottled stuff, you will need to add 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt to the egg yolk mixture.

    Homemade Mayonnaise
     
  • It may look like a lot of ingredients for deviled eggs, but everything works together to create a one-of-kind but familiar comfort food. The Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and smoked paprika help to cut the "egginess" and mustard powder helps boost flavor without making the filling soupy. All that said, if you're not a fan of a specific ingredient, leave it out or cut back.

    Spice Mix Added to Eggs, Mayo and Mustard



My friends Anneli (from Delicieux) and Louisa (from Chez Foti) have started this fun new monthly challenge called Four Seasons Food (SFS) - check it out and enjoy this month's delicious theme of Picnic Food & Outdoor Nibbles!

Four Seasons Food
Four Seasons Food hosted by Delicieux and Chezfoti



Scan to view recipe on your mobile device




12 comments:

  1. Your eggs look beautiful - very skilfully piped! I am partial to a devilled egg but I couldn't eat a whole plate of them! But part of a buffet or as a nibble, I would certainly gobble up a few! A classic, beautifully executed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pictures with the shiny blue tiles!... i've never really been a huge devilled eggs fan either but I wouldn't turn them down!... they're so retro chic now too - tell the boyfriend he's doing the style world a huge injustice not eating them... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. kellie@foodtoglowMay 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

    Oh I remember devilled eggs from church bbq picnics growing up. I also remember liking them more than the overcooked meats that were invariably served too. Luckily my mother made great ones -I think she might have put whizzed up sweet pickle in hers. They aren't something that gets made here in the UK but this post is reminding me how much they were a part of my childhood. Lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the kind words, Anneli. And I prefer to limit myself to about 4 deviled eggs at a time. But I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have actually managed to finish a whole 10 eggs (20 halves) in 2 days. Which, there's really no excuse for that :( Anyway, I'm so glad you enjoyed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up eating deviled eggs mostly at church potlucks, and that was about the only time I had them, so I kind of developed this addiction where I would stock up on the days I could get ahold of them... And are they retro chic? I didn't realize that... I just always considered the a classic summer picnic food. And I'll pass along the message ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, church potlucks is where I grew up learning to love these ;) And like you, I enjoyed them much more so than the meats or potatoes or other dishes... I've never tried adding pickle to mine, but it doesn't sound bad to me. And I kinda want to try adding bacon (like they're not already bad enough!)... So glad you enjoyed, Kellie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll eat these in a minute! I love deviled eggs. I use the food bag method of piping, too - it works so well! Love the pictures - good stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Another person who uses bags to pipe! I can't believe how much easier it is than trying to whisk with a whisk or beat with a fork ;) Thanks so much for the kind words...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love deviled eggs! Love the ingredients in your filling especially that touch of smoked paprika. Bet that makes them special. Great idea of using the ziplock for your piping bag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, MJ! And I really do like addition of smoked paprika - a little bit goes a long way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got Javelin to try your beautifully piped eggs, glad you didn't make them for me or I would eaten way too many! They look totally delish, and a beautiful pic too. Thanks so much for entering them to our first ever Four Seasons Food challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, thanks so much for the kind words, Louisa! I know what you mean about eating way too many - I have the same problem ;) And I love the new FSF series - I think it will be great fun :)

    ReplyDelete