Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Elizabeth's Kitchen

Double Chocolate Spiced Brownie
Double Chocolate Chile Brownies


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I really should be asking Elizabeth how she found me! Because it really was all Elizabeth's doing. My blog was pretty much on hiatus at the time, except for Made with Love Mondays, and along came Elizabeth with the most delicious looking Apple & Blackberry Crumble. Which was followed shortly afterwards with a Rainbow Cake made with natural food coloring. And after that, the most adorable little Button Cookies. She never fails to bring something scrumptious and homemade to Made with Love Mondays.

So you can imagine why I was eager to have Elizabeth as my Tutor. But beyond delicious food, she also lives a fascinating life in a truly exotic location (I'll let her tell you about it). I used to dream as a child that I could live on a remote island - and it's like Elizabeth gets to live my childhood dream every day!

So please give Elizabeth a big welcome - Welcome, Elizabeth! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest

Elizabeth is the author of Elizabeth's Kitchen, a blog focusing on simple home cooked dishes. Living rurally on a remote Scottish island means she doesn't have instant access to fine restaurants and bakeries, so if she wants good food she has to make it herself. There is a wealth of local produce available on the Shetland Islands and she enjoys working with ingredients such as seaweed, fish, local lamb and vegetables, including the native Shetland black potato. When she's not in the kitchen she can be found studying science, ballroom dancing or out at sea on an RNLI lifeboat.

Featured Recipe: Double Chocolate Chilli Brownies


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I am an ex-pat Canadian and have been living on a remote Scottish island in the North Sea since 1999
  2. I am a stay-at-home Mum of three children.
  3. I am in my final year of studying for a BSc (Hons) Life Sciences with the Open University. 
  4. In my spare time I volunteer with the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institute) and I'm currently training as an all-weather lifeboat crew member at the most northerly lifeboat station. 
  5. I absolutely adore ballroom dancing, especially dancing the Glen Roy foxtrot.



How to Make: Double Chocolate Chilli Brownies
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Chopped Dark Chocolate
Chop 85 grams of dark chocolate. I used all but 1 square of a 3.5 oz Ghirardelli 72% cocoa chocolate bar.

Chopped Dark Chocolate Moistened with Milk
Add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and mix with 1 Tablespoon of milk. Microwave on HIGH for 5-10 second intervals until the chocolate is just melted, shirring thoroughly between each interval. Or you can melt the chocolate in a heat-safe bowl over barely simmering water until just melted.

Melted Dark Chocolate
Regardless of which method you use, don't heat the chocolate beyond the melting point. Add the chocolate to a large bowl in order to mix the remainder of the batter.

Sugar, Vanilla, Coffee and Sour Cream Added to Chocolate
To the melted chocolate, add 1/2 cup sugar (I used granulated although Elizabeth recommends palm), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules, and 2 Tablespoons of sour cream.

Brownie Batter Mixed Before Adding Dry
Mix the ingredients together thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then add 1 Tablespoon of warm water and mix again until well combined.

Mayonnaise and Egg Added to Batter
Add 1 beaten egg and 1/3 cup of mayonnaise (I used homemade mayonnaise). Mix into the batter thoroughly.

Dry Ingredients in Sifter
Combine 2/3 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup natural cocoa powder (I used Hershey's), 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon chile powder (I used chipotle chile powder).

Dry Ingredients Sifted into Brownie Batter
Sift the ingredients into the brownie batter and fold together gently with a spatula.

Brownie Batter Folded Together
Once the batter is combined, stop mixing. Grease a 8-inch square cake pan with non-stick spray or shortening (I used a Corning Ware pan and greased with shortening).

2/3 Cup White Chocolate Chips
Measure 100 grams of white chocolate and chop (or use chips as I did), about 2/3 cup.

Dried Red Chile Pepper
Crumble or finely mince 1 small dried red chile pepper (I used an japones chile pepper). This is optional and depends on how spicy you want your final brownie.

Half of Brownie Batter in Baking Dish
Spoon half the batter into the greased cake pan to form a layer, then sprinkle 1/2 of the while chocolate over the batter.

Brownies Ready to Bake
Spoon the second layer of brownie batter to cover the first layer, then sprinkle the remaining white chocolate over the top of the brownies. Optionally sprinkle the crumbled red chile pepper over top.

Baked Brownies, Cooling
Bake the brownies for 30 minutes at 350F until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool if desired, then cut and serve.

Double Chocolate Spicey Brownie, Closeup
I couldn't wait for the brownies to cool entirely - I only lasted 15 minutes!


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • These brownies are really tasty with a potent chocolate kick. And while I'm not a big fan of white chocolate, I loved the use of it in these brownies. They not only provide that needed extra bit of sweetness, but they don't really taste like white chocolate to me. Which for me is a good thing! The chips on top even start to caramelize a little - which is so tasty. I'm definitely remembering this trick!
     
  • The brownies also pack a spicy kick. It's not overwhelming by any stretch, but if you're sensitive to spicy heat, I recommend skipping the crumbled dried chile pepper on top. If you're nervous, try the brownies with just the chile powder first, then add the crumbled chile the second time. But you simply have to try spicy, chocolate and sweet - all in one brownie!
     
  • These are NOT ooey-gooey brownies. They are not chewy brownies. They are not fudgey brownies. These are unapologetically CAKE brownies. And I really believe this texture works best with the combination of chocolate, spice and sweet. Somehow, spicy fudge brownies don't sound as appetizing...
     
  • If you make these for a party for as a gift for a friend, you might want to include little "Spicy!" flags for each brownie. Or at least a note or little plaque to go with the brownies. Some folks might not appreciate the spicy surprise, especially if they took a big brownie-loving bite!

9 comments:

  1. kellie@foodtoglowMay 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

    Elizabeth's recipe looks delish, and I love her 'thoughts while scarfing'. I am an ex-pat American living in Edinburgh and love my adopted home. Her part of the world is stunning, just stunning. And unbelievably they sometimes have the best weather in Britain! I must have a look through some of her posts for some recipes using local produce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Kellie. The "thoughts on scarfing" are actually my thoughts - sorry for the confusion! Based on all the photos Elizabeth has shared, I would agree that it looks so beautiful. Hope you enjoy her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were very tasty, Kayle! I'm so glad you approve :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mark, for everything :) I'm not used to being in 'the spotlight' so to speak, so this is all very new to me! I'm so glad you liked my brownie recipe. it really is a fantastic snack to have when out hillwalking in the winter - warming from within!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great Tuesday Tutor post JW. It was good to hear a bit more about Elizabeth - I didn't know she was into ballroom dancing. I used to do some a long time ago and I loved it. The recipe looks great, I am a big fan of chilli and chocolate and I adding some white chocolate to the top to caramelise is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Choclette - I really enjoyed getting to know Elizabeth better. I think her life is fascinating. I also love a lot of recipe ideas and food pairings - these brownies were just one example... I'm so glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine it would be very warming after a cold hike - it was delicious from the warmth of my apartment too :) It was such a pleasure having you as my Tutor and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate and chile is such a great combo! These look wonderful - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that I've tried these brownies, I whole-heartedly agree with you! It's a wonderful combo and totally will be using it again... I'm so pleased you enjoyed, John...

    ReplyDelete