Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Food Babbles

Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake
Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I first met Kate (just like so many other bloggers!) through the Food Fetish Friday series. Somehow, while surfing and searching for gorgeous food, I stumbled onto Kate's Fresh Sweet Cherry Pie. That's all it took to start a love affair with Kate's culinary creations. She's ever creative, with beautiful photos and tempting treats.

To be honest, besides her gorgeous food, I didn't know much about Kate beyond what she has shared on her blog. Which was why I was so thrilled to have had a chance to get to know her better as my tutor. Like discovering that she and I share a passion for baking homemade bread. Bread is always the way to my heart! And she makes lists of food ideas on her iPhone using the notepad app - exactly the same thing I do :)

So please give a big welcome to Kate - Welcome, Kate! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Kate from Food Babbles
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest  |  Instagram

I am a mostly stay-at-home-mom, part-time paramedic, baker and amateur photographer sharing her life and food at FoodBabbles.com where you'll find everything to satisfy your sweet tooth and some savory things too. In addition to authoring my blog, you can find me writing about all things bread-related over at FoodFanatic.com where I'm a featured contributor.



Featured Recipe: Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I am a baker who is in the kitchen constantly, usually with a 3-year old on a step stool and a baby on my hip which can make for some unique challenges. But I love sharing the experience with my children and hope they'll have a passion for cooking and baking.
     
  2. I never knew a thing about photography until I started a food blog. I took terrible pictures with lots of bright flash, right up until very recently. Now I love learning about photography and honing those skills. These days, I'm getting better at it but I still have so much to learn!
     
  3. I used to fail miserably at making bread. I'm talking ridiculously flat, pathetic loaves were baked in my kitchen. Fast forward about a year and a half later… Now, I have a passion for baking warm, tender homemade bread. I love the process of kneading, waiting and watching as the dough rises. There's something about taking the time to create crusty breads for dinner, sweet breads for a brunch or a batch of muffins for our breakfast from scratch.
     
  4. I think about food pretty much all the time. I'm sure that's not normal but my brain is always churning with new ideas of what I'd like to make next which also leads to a gigantic list in the notepad on my iPhone.
     
  5. I officially have a green smoothie addiction! What started out as a personal challenge has now turned into a completely healthy habit that I yearn for every day. They're so tasty that I sometimes forget that I'm putting something ridiculously healthy into my body.



How to Make: Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

10 Cup Bundt Pan Brushed with Melted Shortening
Melt a couple tablespoons of organic shortening and brush every crevice of the inside of your 10-cup bundt pan. I recommend using a cast aluminum bundt pan for best results. Be sure to coat every part of the pan with melted shortening to help prevent the cake from sticking to the pan's detail.

Chopped Dark Chocolate in Melting Dish
Chop 4 ounces of dark chocolate and mix with 1 Tablespoon of milk in a microwave-safe dish. I used 1 bar of Ghirardelli 72% cocoa content chocolate plus 1 extra square from a second bar for a total of 4 ounces.

Melted Dark Chocolate
Microwave the chocolate on HIGH for 5-10 second intervals, stirring vigorously between each interval until the chocolate is just melted. Allow to cool slightly while you prepare the remaining ingredients.

10 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
Add 10 Tablespoons of room-temperature unsalted butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.

Brown Sugar and Butter in Stand Mixer Bowl
Add 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar to the mixing bowl with the butter.

Butter and Brown Sugar Creamed Together
Cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 5 minutes or until lightened and fluffy.

Dry Ingredients Whisked Together
While the butter and sugar creams, whisk together thoroughly 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's all natural), 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used kosher salt). Set aside.

Blackberry Dessert Wine from Belle Meade Plantation
You can also measure your liquids, including the red wine of your choice. Kate used a dessert wine for her bundt, so I chose a delicious Blackberry dessert wine we had picked up on a trip to see Nashville, TN's Belle Meade Plantation.

1 Cup Blackberry Dessert Wine
You will need 1 cup of the red wine of your choice.

1/3 Cup Whole Milk
You will also need 1/3 cup of whole milk.

Adding 3 Eggs to Batter
Once the butter is lightened and fluffy, scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl, then add 3 large eggs, beating on medium speed until well combined with the butter and sugar.

Melted Chocolate Added to Batter
Add the melted and cooled chocolate to the batter and beat on medium speed until incorporated.

Dry Ingredients Added to Batter
Add the reserved dry ingredients all at once to the mixing bowl.

Adding Milk and Wine to Batter
Add the red wine and milk to the mixing bowl. Beat the batter together on medium speed until mixed (but don't over-beat).

Folding Together Batter
If there are any unmixed bits around the sides or bottom of the mixing bowl, fold together with a spatula by hand.

Batter Added to Prepared Bundt Pan
Evenly pour (or dollop) the batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth out the surface. The batter is quite thick, so try to distribute it evenly around the pan.

Bundt After Baking
Bake the cake for 50-55 minutes at 350F. (I baked mine for 50 minutes before a toothpick came out clean). Allow the cake to cool in the bundt pan for 10 minutes before turning out.

Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake
Turn out the bundt cake onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting or adding the mascarpone whipped cream.

Mascarpone, Heavy Cream, Sugar and Vanilla in Mixing Bowl
To make the mascarpone whipped cream, in a large bowl combine 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Mascarpone Whipped Cream
Whip these ingredients together until soft peaks form.

Fresh Strawberries, Diced
If desired, prepare berries to serve with the cake. I used sliced fresh strawberries.

Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream
If desired, fill the center of the bundt cake with the mascarpone whipped cream and top with fresh berries.

Slice of Red Wine Chocolate Bundt with Mascarpone Whipped Cream and Berries
Top each serving of cake with a dollop of mascarpone whipped cream and fresh berries.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • The bundt looked absolutely stunning when I turned it out of the pan and it smelled amazing - a combination of chocolate, cinnamon and fragrant berry wine. The hardest part was waiting for the bundt to cool so I could add the mascarpone whipped cream and berries! I had absolutely no trouble with the cake sticking to pan or with the cake overflowing the pan - good news for any avid bundt-maker.
     
  • The mascarpone whipped cream is simply delicious. There's the perfect balance of sweetness with a hint of vanilla, coupled with the delicate background flavor of the mascarpone. Combining whipping cream with mascarpone is one of my favorite ways to make a delicious topping and I'm so glad Kate is a fan as well!
     
  • I think cakes are a very personal thing. Some prefer cakes to be super moist and crumbly, others prefer a drier, firmer cake. Others prefer a denser pound cake, others still a lighter, springier texture. I happen to be a lover of the moist, light and slightly crumbly texture, especially for chocolate cakes. This bundt cake was a bit too dry and dense for me. But take your preferences for cake into account because everyone loves something different.
     
  • The batter is very thick, so be careful not to over-mix the batter or it will toughen of final texture. And if you're able to watch the cake bake through the oven door glass, don't panic when it begins to rise up to the very top of the pan. Mine did not overflow the pan and turned out perfectly. (If you're nervous, just place a baking sheet below the bundt pan.)

9 comments:

  1. A brilliant tutorial and an excellent cake. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)June 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

    Mmmmm such decadence! Love getting to know Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed the tutorial, Dom! It's my first bundt cake and I was so pleased it cake out of the pan successfully ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Kalye, and I particularly loved that Kate used red wine in the cake. Such a great idea. And I'm glad you enjoyed learning more about Kate - so did I!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to meet you, Kate! And I love that top photo - such gorgeous geometry in that photo. Really fun post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had a chance to meet Kate - I love her blog. And thanks for the kind words about the photo - it's the first time I've attempted to photograph a bundt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate | Food BabblesJune 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

    Nice to meet you too!! I had such fun participating in Tuesday Tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate | Food BabblesJune 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

    Thanks so much for having me Mark! This was such fun and congrats on your first bundt cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Kate, and I'm so pleased with how beautifully the bundt turned out, so thank YOU :)

    ReplyDelete