Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Food Eat Love

White Wine Sweet and Tangy Ribs with Cornbread
White Wine Glazed Sticky Pork Ribs


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I met Petra, like so many bloggers, through the Made with Love Mondays food series. And I was immediately impressed by her devotion to the gourmet. Most of us foodies post a single recipe, sharing an entree or a starter or a side to pass. But Petra often tackles the whole meal in one post, whipping up gourmet starters, tantalizing entrees and exotic desserts. She even takes special care in painstakingly plating food!

And it's all because Petra loves food - she's passionate about cooking delicious meals with a vast variety of ingredients - most of which are fresh and in-season. I'm so inspired by her enthusiasm and passion. I often feel exhausted after cooking up just one entree, let alone a starter, side and dessert - all for one meal! So impressive and I don't know how she does it...

So please help me give a big welcome to Petra - Welcome, Petra! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Petra from Food Eat Love
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Instagram

Petra is the author of the blog FoodEatLove. Cooking is her passion and way to relax from the day time job. With a Swedish cuisine heritage but having lived abroad for many years, there are influences from all over the world in the food she cooks and eats. Seasonal and organic is always important when possible and so is cooking from scratch.

Featured Recipe: White Wine Glazed Sticky Pork Ribs


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I have never owned, or had in my kitchen, a microwave oven. This is after spending a year with a host family as an exchange student living pretty much on microwaved meals only.
     
  2. I started the blog before I knew what I wanted to write about, but when I thought about it for a while, food made sense. I am truly passionate about food and wanted to share. What I have discovered is a whole community of likeminded fellow bloggers!
     
  3. One day I will start a food based business, making produce such as hot sauce and perhaps chutney. With that I would like to build a sustainable and profitable food business that is a part of and supporting the local community.
     
  4. If I could have a dream foodie day I would love a master class with chef Hubert Keller and then eat at his restaurant Fleur de Lys - he just seems to have such a wonderfully philosophical attitude toward food.



How to Make: White Wine Glazed Sticky Pork Ribs
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Peeled Ginger Root
Peel 2 inches of fresh ginger root with a spoon.

Finely Diced Ginger Root
Finely slice and dice the ginger root.

Finely Diced Shallot
Finely dice 1 large shallot.

4 Garlic Cloves with Press
Mince or press 4 garlic cloves.

Spice Mix for Ribs
Measure 1 1/2 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns, 4 star anise and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder.

400 ml White Wine
Measure 400 ml (approx 1 3/4 cups) white wine.

Homemade Chicken Stock
Measure 300 ml (approx 1 1/4 cups) homemade chicken stock.

Honey
Stir 2 Tablespoons of honey into the chicken stock.

1/2 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Stir 1/4 cup soy sauce into the chicken stock (I used reduced sodium).

St. Louis Style Pork Ribs in Sections with Salt and Pepper
Generously season 10 ribs with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I used St. Louis style ribs and asked the butcher to separate them into individual ribs (but you could separate them yourself if you prefer).

Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Olive Oil
Heat 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in an oven-safe dutch oven or casserole over medium heat. I used my enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Seasoned Ribs in Hot Dutch Oven
When the oil is hot, add the ribs to the dutch oven (fat-side down) and cook for 5 minutes.

Ribs Browned and Turned
Turn the ribs with a pair of tongs and cook for another 3 minutes.

Ginger, Shallot, Garlic and Spice Mix Added to Ribs
Add the ginger, shallot, garlic and spice mix to the ribs.

White Wine and Chicken Stock added to Ribs
Add the chicken stock mixture and white wine to the ribs.

Ribs Simmering
Stir everything together with your tongs, then increase the heat to medium high and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes.

Ribs After Baking 30 Minutes
Bake the ribs uncovered at 350F for 30 minutes.

Ribs After Baking 60 Minutes
Turn the ribs in the sauce and then return to the oven and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes.

1/2 Lemon with Juicer
Remove the ribs from the oven and return to the cook-top over medium-high heat. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Ribs After Reducing Sauce
Reduce the sauce for 10-12 minutes until thickened and sticky (it should coat the ribs when you turn them with tongs).

White Wine Sweet and Tangy Ribs Closeup
Serve immediately. I highly recommend serving with sweet cornbread. It's perfect for mopping up the delicious, sticky sauce.

White Wine Sweet and Tangy Ribs Side
Oh. And you WILL want to keep a napkin on hand. These ribs are so sticky!


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • I love these ribs! A month or so ago, I went to a rib cook-off in Cleveland (Berea) and sampled a host of different flavors and rib styles. And while I found a couple favorites, Petra's ribs are just as tasty. And so much easier to make! Who wants to spend hours smoking and basting ribs in the hot sun? Give me these saucy and slow-cooked ribs any day!
     
  • If you're a devoted fan of a St. Louis, Kansas City, Carolina, Texan style ribs, these are NOT those ribs! But these ribs are amazing with a unique flavor profile all of their own. To me, the perfect rib is sweet, tangy, spicy, smokey and fall-off-the-bone tender. And these ribs are definitely sweet, tangy, spicy and fall-off-the-bone - smoke-addicts like myself might still long for smoke flavor.
     
  • I love these ribs alongside sweet cornbread! In fact, for the next family visit when I have an occasion or cook up a pot of ribs, I'm make these ribs with a pan of cornbread for cleaning up the sauce. The combination of the sweet cornbread with the spicy and tangy sauce - oh, words cannot describe how much I love it... So if you make these ribs, I strongly suggest baking up some cornbread to go along with them.
     
  • Be patient when reducing the sauce after the ribs come out of the oven. The sauce takes a good 10-12 minutes to reduce, so don't cheat yourself by skipping this step. It's the perfect time to bake off that cornbread!

9 comments:

  1. hi Mark

    Thank you so much for having me as your Tuesday Tutor! Your ribs looks fantastic and I love the corn bread! I have never made it but almost feel I need to give it a try now! Any excuse to make more ribs! As always, I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so unbelievably good, I'm actually drooling! Lol.
    Well done JW and Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ribs were so awesome, Petra - I only wish I still had some around! I need to buy ribs again soon and make another batch. So tasty - and so easy! I'm so happy you enjoyed the post and thank you so much for being my Tutor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were so delicious, Anna! Petra was a fantastic tutor and I can highly recommend this recipe. I'm so glad you enjoyed and thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asian ribs are so great! Totally different from US-style BBQ ribs, as you point out, but also totally wonderful. Good job with these. And another terrific tutor! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed, John! I've never made ribs before and was so impressed with how easy the recipe was. And so surprised with the flavor. Just delicious and so glad Petra introduced me to such a great recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. kellie@foodtoglowJuly 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM

    I really like the sound of that sauce: I wonder if it would transfer to tofu! Thanks for introducing us to Petra. If she manages to set up a sauce business I will definitely like to place an order

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Kellie

    thanks for you kind words!! I am glad you like it

    I did this with tofu but let the glaze reduce and added the tofu only to the last stage. Don't use silken tofu, something more firm! I think Paneer cheese would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of of using tofu as a non-meat option - and I love Petra's suggestion of using paneer even better! The sauce is delicious so I'm fairly sure just about anything cooked in it will be delicious... I'm so glad you enjoyed, Kellie, and I agree I'd definitely place an order for some sauce!

    ReplyDelete