Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Junglefrog Cooking

Strawberry Tiramisu Zoom
Strawberry Tiramisu


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



You probably already know of Simone from Junglefrog Cooking - and if not, introductions are long overdue! She's such an established and busy blogger, I actually hesitated in even bothering to invite her as a tutor. Because really - there are so many other things she could be doing besides dropping by as my tutor for a day!

I first became curious about Junglefrog Cooking when I saw a recipe from her blog in a book called "Best Food Blogger Recipes" (or some similar title) at a Tuesday Morning discount store. And once I dropped by her blog, I was hooked. Her photos are stunning (not a surprise given her photography business) and she often shares the most adorable photos of her kittens and cats! If you're a cat lover (or just a cuteness lover) you need to pop over to Simone's blog just for the kitties. Seriously. And while you're there, I know you'll find a recipe or two to drool over.

I recommend starting with this Strawberry Tiramisu. I featured this recipe a while back in the Food Fetish Friday series and I've been wanting to try it ever since (just like pretty much everything else that appears in the series). And her photos are so much more beautiful than mine, so be sure to click through and check our her original recipe.

Please help me give a big welcome to Simone - Welcome, Simone! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Simone from Junglefrog Cooking
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Flickr  |  RSS

Simone van den Berg is the author of Junglefrog Cooking, a blog that focuses on good food, food related travel stories and food photography. When not cooking or taking photos she tries to get her cats to behave and stay of the kitchen counter.

Featured Recipe: Strawberry Tiramisu


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I grew up loving photography as my dad had a little dark room and one of my favourite childhood memories must have been sitting with my dad in the darkroom and watching the magic when a photo would appear on the paper. Not quite the same now in the digital age but I still love it!
     
  2. I started out in photography full-time only 7 years ago. I gave up my job as production manager at Nike and started with shooting weddings, portraits, dogs, cats and anything in between. While that was good while it lasted, I am happy that two years ago I came to the point where I could say all of that farewell and since then I only focus on food photography.
     
  3. I have been living together with Tom for more then 21 years now and we have three young cats: Humphrey, Sookie and Buffy which you will see on a regular basis on my blog as well! No kids, which means we have the freedom to travel the world. We try and visit a new country every year (money and work permitting of course).
     
  4. Growing up I did not have the best role model when it comes to food and cooking. My mum hated it with a vengeance and was a lousy cook. So meals were mostly the same every day; overcooked vegetables, potatoes and a slab of meat... It took me a while to learn to love cooking but now I cannot imagine a life without it. I am surrounded by food almost every day, either for work of for pleasure, and I never tire of learning more.
     
  5. I strongly believe in good food and the need for people to look at their everyday food behaviour. There is so much we can improve on, in terms of food waste, sustainability and much much more. Starting with myself here!



How to Make: Strawberry Tiramisu
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Egg Whites and Yolks Separated
For a complete recipe and guide to making lady fingers, visit My Little Italian Kitchen. To make your own lady finger cookies, separate 4 eggs into yolks and whites. Do it carefully so that you do not get any yolk in the egg whites.

Sugar Added to Egg Yolks
Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the egg yolks.

Creamed Egg Yolks and Sugar
Beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color and the sugar is absorbed. The yolks should form a ribbon off the end of your beaters when they're ready.

Egg Whites and Sugar in Stand Mixer Bowl
Add 1/4 cup of sugar to the egg whites.

Egg Whites Whipped Until Stiff
Whip the egg whites until they are stiff and form soft peaks as shown.

Folding Egg Whites into Egg Yolks
Add the whipped egg whites to the beaten egg yolks.

Egg Whites and Yolks Folded Together
Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. Be gentle and try not to deflate the egg whites.

Flour in Sifter
Measure 3/4 cup of unbleached all purpose flour.

Folding in Sifted Flour into Batter
Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold together until the flour is fully incorporated.

Smooth Lady Finger Batter
Try not to over-mix the dough or the egg whites will deflate.

Piping Lady Finger Cookies onto Lined Baking Sheet
Transfer the batter to a large piping bag fitted with a large piping tip and pipe the batter onto a lined baking sheet.

Lady Finger Cookies Sprinkled with Powdered Confectioners' Sugar
Dust the cookies with powdered confections' sugar. Allow the sugar to be absorbed, then dust again.

Baked Lady Fingers Cooling on Baking Sheet
Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden.

Lady Fingers Cooling on Wire Rack
Carefully transfer the lady fingers to a wire rack to cool completely.

Sugar and Strawberries with Lemon
For the strawberry syrup (my version makes about 3x as much sauce as you need, so cut back if you like), slice 2 pounds of fresh strawberries. Add 3/4 cup of sugar, the juice of 1 lemon, and 1/2 cup of purified water to the strawberries.

Cooked Strawberries and Sugar Syrup
Cover and bring the strawberries to a boil; simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.

Pureed Strawberry Sauce
Puree the berries until smooth.

Pureed Strawberry Sauce
Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, then allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.

Slicing Srawberries
For the tiramisu, hull and thinly slice 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries.

Mascarpone Cream Cheese
For the mascarpone whipped cream, start with 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese.

Mascarpone and Granulated Sugar in Stand Mixer Bowl
Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the mascarpone.

Mascarpone and Sugar Beaten Together
Beat the mascarpone and sugar together on medium speed for 3 minutes or until the sugar is fully incorporated.

Oranic Heavy Whipping Cream
Add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream to the beaten mascarpone and sugar.

Vanilla Extract and Heavy Cream Added to Mascarpone
Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Mascarpone Whipped Cream
Beat the cream into the mascarpone on medium-high speed until the whipped cream forms soft peaks. I recommend scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl partway through to ensure the mascarpone is evenly distributed throughout the whipped cream.

Juice of 1 Orange
Juice 1 orange.

Orange Juice and Strawberry Sauce Combined
Add the juice of the orange to 2 cups of strawberry sauce. Whisk to combine thoroughly.

Serving Dish for Strawberry Tiramisu
Select a dish for assembling the tiramisu. I recommend using a deep rectangular dish. This makes it easier to nestle in the lady fingers rather than having to deal with odd curves (as I did).

Strawberry Dipped Lady Finger Layer
Start with a layer of lady fingers dipped in the strawberry sauce mixture. If you're using the homemade lady fingers I've shown, do not let them soak in the sauce. Just dip them through and gently shake off the excess sauce.

Mascarpone Whipped Cream Layer
Add a layer of mascarpone whipped cream to cover the lady fingers.

More Strawberries and Lady Fingers Layer
Add a layer of sliced strawberries on top of the whipped cream, followed by another layer of dipped lady fingers, followed by another layer of mascarpone whipped cream. Repeat this layering as you have space and/or ingredients. I was able to fit three layers of lady fingers into my tiramisu before I ran out of space (and mascarpone whipped cream).

Final Layer of Mascarpone Whipped Cream with a Dusting of Cocoa Powder
Add a final layer of mascarpone whipped cream and optionally dust with cocoa powder. Chill the tiramisu for 4-6 hours before cutting.

Strawberry Tiramisu Closeup
Just before cutting, add a final layer of sliced strawberries.

Strawberry Tiramisu Slide Angled
And of course, the hardest piece of remove is the first piece!


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • Simone's originally recipe is SOOOOOO much simpler than this tutorial. You could whip up her version in under 30 minutes (probably in under 20), so if you're crunched for time, be sure to check out her original recipe.
     
  • I tried to stay true to the original intent of the recipe, but I couldn't resist attempting to bake my own Italian lady fingers (get the recipe courtesy of the wonderful Alida from My Little Italian Kitchen) and my own strawberry sauce. Both seemed to work perfectly, so if you have the time, I highly recommend making both.
     
  • You will probably end up with extra strawberry sauce and extra lady fingers - and that's ok! Dunk the extra cookies in the sauce and have yourself a snack. The combination is amazing by itself, but spectacular alongside a bowl of vanilla ice cream!
     
  • I love traditional (coffee) tiramisu, but this strawberry version is just as delicious and perfect for a big summer gathering. If you're determined to make everything from scratch (as I did), I recommend baking the lady fingers the day before and even making the strawberry sauce in advance.



More Must-Try Recipes from Junglefrog Cooking

Smoked Pepper Hummus

Strawberry Tiramisu

Prawn Coconut Springrolls




My friends Anneli (from Delicieux) and Louisa (from Chez Foti) host a wonderful monthly challenge called Four Seasons Food (SFS) - check it out and enjoy this month's delicious theme of Summer Puds!

Four Seasons Food
Four Seasons Food hosted by Delicieux and Chezfoti



13 comments:

  1. Steph @ Steph Love CakeJuly 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM

    I have never been a massive fan of traditional tiramisu, but this looks gorgeous! I love the idea that you made your own ladies fingers too, I will definitely be trying this soon. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked Simone's twist on tiramisu, Steph! I am a big fan of the traditional, but was was just as delicious I think. If you get a chance to try it, be sure to let Simone know what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. O you put me to shame Mark by making your own ladyfingers! I did that once for a traditional tiramisu recipe and I have to say that it was truly delicious but hey, what can I say? I took the easy way out, but I am impressed with your take on the recipe! Well done! And thanks so much for featuring me in your tutor series! I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone is one of the best food photographers out there, so you selected an excellent tutor today! And this recipe looks wonderful. I love tiramisu, but have never tried a strawberry one - something to look forward to. Really great tutor this week - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)July 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

    incredible!!! I've never read Simone's blog (I know, what rock was I under??!) and now I NEED TO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked my overly complicated take on your very simple recipe, Simone! The homemade lady fingers were delicious and I found myself snacking on those by themselves... It was a honor having you as my Tutor and thanks so much again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so fortunate to have Simone as my tutor - I WISH I could take photos like hers! Her tiramisu was amazing and I definitely recommend trying it - whether you keep it simple and follow Simone's straight-forward recipe or my much more cumbersome version ;) So glad you enjoyed, John...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you've discovered Simone, Kayle! I really admire her photography and the MOST adorable kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! I applaud you for taking the extra time to make the lady fingers and syrup. Your fingers turned out so well! Very good job. The Tiramisu looks beautiful with all the luscious layers. Perfect for Summer. Thanks so much for your entry and support of Four Seasons Food. It's much appreciated xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fantastic! I found you on the Four Seasons Food entry and had to stop by to take a look at the recipe and post. I'm definitely bookmarking this to try next time for a dinner party. Also adding this to my pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Tina! It was very delicious, especially with the homemade lady fingers. Be sure to check out Simone's original recipe for an easier version and gorgeous photos... Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I just discovered you after entering your weekly challenge and I found this stunning and light looking pretty recipe! It's like a classier version of childhood dreams xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Deena! All the credit for the gorgeous recipes goes to Simone from Simone's Kitchen (previously Junglefrog Cooking)...

    ReplyDelete