Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey

Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney
Roasted Spiced Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



I've always been intimidated by Indian cuisine and cooking. So when Jagruti found me through the Made with Love Mondays from-scratch food series, I was so thrilled. No only are Jagruti's recipes gorgeously photographed, they're straightforward and easy to follow. Jagruti takes the time to explain her ingredients and the traditional occasion for many of her tasty dishes. For me, this is invaluable given my complete ignorance of regional Indian cuisine.

After drooling for months over Jagruti's beautiful photos (such as this Homemade Paneer), I was so thrilled when she agreed to be my tutor. And when she suggested this Roasted Spiced Strawberry Rhubarb Chutney, how could I resist? I'm always on the lookout for new ways to enjoy rhubarb!

So please give Jagruti a warm welcome - Welcome, Jagruti! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest

I am a housewife and a mother of two teenage kids settled in the UK for the past 22 years. Originally born and brought up in India, it was from these childhood days that my love for cooking began. I have no formal training in cooking and baking, and everything I’ve learnt has been through good cooks in the family and my circle of friends, through my own experiments, reading and research. My main cooking niche consists of healthy and tasty vegetarian meals but I like to throw in the occasional treat. To share my love for food and culinary art, I have created a food blog, Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey that displays authentic Indian vegetarian/vegan dishes, special and rich recipes covering different courses in varied cuisines. My cooking enthusiasm led me to cookery shows on a national Asian TV channel. Much like cooking and baking I have other interests too like photography, reading and traveling, which assist me in my culinary skills.

Featured Recipe: Roasted Spiced Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I started basic cooking at age of 8 or 9 by just making afternoon tea for my mum and then went on from there.
  2. I am very happy in trying out all the different cuisines, and I like most of them, so I do make sometimes but, nothing beats our all time favourite Daal-Roti!
  3. A food processor is my favourite item in the kitchen. My whole life gets much easier and faster.
  4. My all time favourite movie is GANDHI, directed by Richard Attenborough.
  5. My favourite colours are Black and Blue.



How to Make: Roasted Spiced Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Strawberries and Rhubarb on Baking Sheet
Combine 250 grams of chopped strawberries with 250 grams of chopped rhubarb on a baking sheet.

Granulated Sugar, Honey and Ginger Added to Strawberries and Rhubarb
Add 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, 2 Tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon ground ginger.

Strawberries and Rhubarb Combined with Sugar and Honey
Mix the strawberries and rhubarb with the sugar, honey and ginger and evenly distribute over the baking sheet.

Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb
Roast the strawberries and rhubarb at 350F for 30 minutes.

Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb Transferred to Pot
Add the roasted strawberries and rhubarb to a medium sauce pot.

Cumin Seed and Charushka Seed
You will need 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin seed and charnushka (sometimes known as onion seed).

Cumin Seed and Charnushka Combined in Oil
Add the seeds with 2 Tablespoons of canola oil to a small pot and heat over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes until fragrant.

Chipotle Chile Pepper
Add 1/2 teaspoon ground chile pepper to the hot oil and seeds (I used chipotle chile pepper).

Garam Masala
Add 1/4 teaspoon garam masala to the oil and seeds.

Spices Combined in Hot Oil
Remove the small pot from the heat.

Spices Added to Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb
Add the oil and spices to the roasted strawberries and rhubarb.

Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney, Cooling
Cook the chutney over medium heat for 10 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently. The chutney should eventually resemble a loose jam in thickness. Cool the chutney to room temperature and then chill before serving.

Strawberry and Rhubarb Chutney, Overhead
This chutney is very spicy, but I enjoyed it as a spread over a piece of cake. A savory application such a pork would also be delicious and more traditional.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • Don't tell anyone, but I enjoyed this spicy, savory chutney spread over a sweet piece of homemade yellow cake. I know - it's certainly not a traditional use for chutney, but there's something so delicious about the spicy yet sweet flavors of the rhubarb and spices contrasted against the delicate texture and smooth vanilla of the cake. Like I said, don't tell anyone...
     
  • Although Jagruti writes a mostly vegetarian blog, for those of you craving a bit of meat, this chutney would be delicious over pork. Or as a topping for a gourmet burger. Or as an accompaniment for dipping fries. The chutney is quite potent, so go sparingly to start.
     
  • If you plan to make this chutney year-round, you can do what I do and freeze off bags of diced rhubarb and strawberries. That way, you can buy both when they're in-season and on sale and then when you're ready to make chutney, there's no cleaning or dicing left to be done. Just measure and dump.
     
  • This chutney is quite spicy. If you prefer a fruitier finish, I would recommend adding about half of the ground chile pepper (1/4 teaspoon) and leaving out the garam masala and cumin seeds. But do not leave out the ground ginger - it enhances the flavor of the rhubarb and strawberries.

6 comments:

  1. I've roasted strawberries before, but never rhubarb - I gotta try this! I like Indian and spicy, so this is right up my alley. Excellent tutor! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bintu @ Recipes From A PantryAugust 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

    What a lovely flavour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you enjoy the savory, spicy and sweet, I think you would definitely enjoy this chutney, John. It's got all three elements. Surprisingly, I didn't notice the flavor of rhubarb as much as I thought I would...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Love the spices that went into this chutney! Never would have thought of using any of them. I've got to try this. Great tutorial and nice meeting Jagruti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of the spices were new to me and I was surprised by the combination with rhubarb and strawberry - but not an unwelcome surprise... I probably wouldn't use chipotle chile powder again though - I think I'd stick with unsmoked or perhaps cayenne instead. I'm so glad you enjoyed, MJ!

    ReplyDelete