Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with Sweet Twist of Blogging

Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble with Ice Cream
Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



Meg's blog is truly a dedication to the sweet and delicious with page after page of creative and tempting creations to satisfy that gnawing sweet tooth. Take a scoop of her Biscoff Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Or a bite of these Quinoa Peanut Butter Balls. If you've got a craving, Meg's got your sweet fix!

I always feel like I'm bit of a stick-in-the-mud traditionalist when it comes to cooking and baking, so I'm always eager to see what creative twist Meg will think up next. Sometimes it's an unexpected ingredient, other times a surprising paired combination. But I'm always left shaking my head: "Now why didn't I think of that!" Like this Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble - all the perfect complimentary flavors of fall in one delicious crumble. And why didn't I think this!

So please help me give a big welcome to Meg - Welcome, Meg! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Google+  |  Pinterest
Instagram  |  Bloglovin

A marketing finance professional by day, baker, blogger and new mom every other second of the day. To break free from a life of numbers and spreadsheets, I started blogging to explore my passion and be creative. I love baking, coming up with new creations and working on my photography, Sweet Twist of Blogging is where I can do all these things and more.

Featured Recipe: Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble


More About Today's Tutor
  1. Although I am dessert blogger, I am obsessed about eating healthy and working out. I also am a huge creature of habit and often eat the same things for certain meals on a daily basis.
     
  2. I have a small cake/dessert business that I do on top of the working full and blogging, that is where my blog name came from.
     
  3. I fully admit I probably "watch" too much TV. I put watch in quotes as I am not really always watching but I am a fan of background noise. However only background noise I like, if it is something that I don't like I get annoyed. If I am watching TV though it is a comedy or food show. I am not really a fan of dramas.
     
  4. I am terrified of bees, wasps, hornets... Anything that stings but I have never been stung.
     
  5. I am a control freak, who is never really organized. :-P



How to Make: Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

3 Medium Assorted Apples
Peel, core and dice 3 medium apples. I like to use a variety of different apples when I make crumbles.

Diced Apple Tossed in Lemon Juice
Add the diced apples to a large bowl.

1/2 Lemon with Juicer
Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and toss the apples to coat with the lemon juice.

Flour and Cinnamon Added to Apples
Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon to the apples. Mix to coat all the apple pieces thoroughly.

1/3 Cup Grated Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Grate 1/3 cup sharp aged cheddar cheese. I used extra sharp cheddar.

Grated Cheddar Added to Apples
Add the cheddar cheese to the apple filling and mix to combine.

Apples Added to Baking Dish
Add the apple filling to a 9-inch round or oval baking dish (I used an 8 1/2 inch Corning Ware skillet).

Coarsely Chopped Oats
For the crumble topping, you will need 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats. If you do not have quick-cooking oats on hand, blend 1 cup of rolled oats until the oats are coarsely chopped.

Crumble Toppings Combined Combined
To the quick-cooking oats, add 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix to combine.

1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
Dice 8 Tablespoons of unsalted butter.

Worked Butter into Topping Mixture
Work the diced butter into the oat mixture using a pastry cutter or your fingers.

Butter Combined into Crumble
You will end up with a loose, buttery crumble.

1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
Add 1/3 cup maple syrup to the crumble mixture.

Maple Syrup Added to Crumble Topping
Mix the maple syrup into the crumble until you arrive at a sticky crumble.

Crumble Topping Spread Over Apples
Evenly sprinkle the crumble topping over the apple filling.

Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble, Baked
Bake the crumble at 375F for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is crisp.

Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble with Ice Cream Closeup
Serve warm or chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • Sometimes the fruit in crumbles is so soft it's complete mush. Other times, the fruit stays too firm it destroys the comfort of the crumble. But Meg's crumble is just right - the fruit is perfectly tender and yet hasn't dissolved into complete mush.
     
  • If you're expecting serious cheddar flavor, you'll be disappointed. In fact, as delicious as this crumble is, I couldn't actually pinpoint the cheddar in the mix of flavors. Yet despite the absence of a cheddary bite, the apple filling was delicious. Next time, I might try adding more cheddar or perhaps chunking the cheese instead of grating it...
     
  • I love a sugary crumble top with lots of spice. Meg's crumble is a bit more healthful with less sugar and more oats. The crumble is hearty with a wonderful texture and almost nutty flavor from the whole wheat flour. I find it contrasts marvelously with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
     
  • My favorite part of any crumble is just how easy it is to make. And this crumble is no different - measure, dump, stir and bake. It takes about 20 minutes to put together - which makes this the perfect quick, fresh dessert for any night of the week. Especially now that we're approaching apple season!

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely crumble! And I'll bet it pairs so well with that ice cream. Fun recipe, excellent tutor - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great tutor, John - Meg's recipe was easy to follow and no surprises! I'm so glad you enjoyed and the crumble was perfect with ice cream...

    ReplyDelete