Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday Tutor with @LeeksAndLimoni

Chicken After Simmering
Chicken with Capers and Rosemary


Each Tuesday I ask a friend to be my tutor for a day. I select one of their original recipes, I follow my friend's recipe instructions, I snap a multitude of pictures, I sample the results - and then I share everything I love about my friend's recipe. Learn More



The wonderful thing about hosting a weekly series like Made with Love Mondays is that I get to meet so many wonderful bloggers - many of whom I may never have discovered on my own. Katherine found me through the series - and I'm glad she did! She is always surprising me with comforting but simple traditional Italian dishes. And you all know how much I love authentic Italian!

What I love most about Katherine is her no-nonsense approach to recipes. There's nothing frivolous or fussy about her ingredients or techniques. Instructions are clear, ingredient lists are short and every dish is approachable and down-to-earth. Real cooking intended for real cooks.

So please help me give a big welcome to Katherine - Welcome, Katherine! And thank you so much for being my tutor!



Katherine from Leeks & Limoni
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest

Although I spent a large part of my adult life living in Italy, Wales is my home and this is where I have come back to live. We cook mainly Italian food, using the fantastic local produce we are lucky enough to have on our doorstep here - amazing lamb and beef, organic milk and cream and some great artisan cheeses. Working as a full-time teacher means that I don’t have as much time as I would like to dedicate to Leeks and Limoni but we cook from scratch every day and all the food I write about and show on the blog is the food we eat.

Featured Recipe: Chicken with Capers and Rosemary


More About Today's Tutor
  1. I had an idyllic childhood, growing up in a loving, stable family. Meals were home-cooked and eaten together. A favourite activity was baking with my mum on rainy Sunday afternoons.
     
  2. After university I went to live in Italy which is where I met my partner. He comes from a family, who like most Italians, take their food very seriously and I've learnt a lot from him and his parents, both excellent cooks.
     
  3. Although Italian food is eaten all over the world, the mistakes that most non-Italians make are 1) over-complicating dishes by adding too many ingredients 2) not salting the water enough when they cook pasta and 3) not using enough olive oil. Italian food is based on a few great ingredients, cooked simply but perfectly.
     
  4. In the kitchen I would find it hard to live without my Gaggia (I have to start the day with an espresso), my Microplane grater and my old Le Creuset. Likewise, my pantry is always stocked with olive oil, fresh lemons, onions, garlic, De Cecco pasta, Lavazza coffee and Fleur de Sel de Camargue. Oh, and wine of course.
     
  5. Cooking and sharing a meal with friends and family is the best way of showing your appreciation of them, your joy in their company and love.



How to Make: Chicken with Capers and Rosemary
For a printable recipe and complete list of ingredients and steps, see the original recipe

Sliced Onion, Smashed Garlic and Rosemary in Baking Dish
Add 1 sliced yellow onion, 1 smashed clove of garlic and 1 sprig of rosemary to a large dish (preferably one with a sealable lid).

Chicken Breasts Over Onions
Place 5-8 pieces of chicken (depending on size) on top of the onions.

1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
Next, you will need 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar.

Pour Vinegar Over Chicken
Pour the vinegar over the chicken.

Covering Chicken with Sealable Lid
Cover the baking dish and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (but no longer than 1 hour).

Olive Oil in Enamled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
After the chicken has had a chance to marinate, heat a couple Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.

Marinated Chicken Added to Hot Oil
Add the chicken pieces to the hot pan and brown the chicken on one side. (I seasoned the chicken with kosher salt and pepper before placing in the pan.)

Browning Chicken in Dutch Oven
Turn the chicken oven and brown on the other side. (I also seasoned the chicken again.)

1/2 Cup White Wine
Add 1/2 cup of dry white wine to the pan.

Onions, Rosemary and Vinegar Added to Chicken
Add the onions, rosemary, garlic and about 1/2 of the vinegar from the marinade. Add 2 additional sprigs of rosemary. Stir everything together.

Dutch Oven Partially Covered
Partially cover the pan and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.

Capers Added to Chicken
Remove the lid and add 1 Tablespoon of capers and adjust the salt and pepper seasoning.

Chicken After Simmering
Simmer the chicken uncovered for another 15 minutes, turning the chicken again.

Chicken with Capers and Rosemary
Serve the chicken with the reduced pan sauce and onions over top. I found creamy mashed potatoes to be particularly delicious with this chicken.


Thoughts while scarfing...
  • If you've never cooked chicken in vinegar, then you MUST give this recipe a try! Despite the strength of the vinegar, the final result isn't a mouthful of acid. The flavor of the vinegar is refined and mellowed by the cooking process and somehow loses the intense bite. The final sauce, spooned over the chicken, is a perfect complement to the creamy mashed potatoes.
     
  • I used chicken breasts (because I discovered a pack in my freezer), but I highly recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or drumsticks. Chicken breasts are so bland in flavor - and they're easily overcooked. But chicken thighs and drumsticks are richer in flavor and far more forgiving...
     
  • If you love rosemary, I recommend adding a couple extra sprigs. The flavor from just 3 springs is very delicate and almost overpowered by the vinegar and capers. But I'm not complaining because for me, the star of this chicken is the vinegar!
     
  • I seasoned with salt and pepper throughout the cooking process. I find it easier to season a little at a time as I go rather than waiting until the end. But either way, make sure you season generously - especially if you're using chicken breasts.

10 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure being your Tuesday Tutor! So glad you liked the dish, your photos are fantastic as always. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the chicken, Katherine! I'm so glad I had the chance to try the vinegar marinade because it's so unexpected but delicious... Thanks so much for being my tutor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)September 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

    Mmmm I love chicken and this dish looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't eat chicken a lot - typically just when I have friends or family over. But this vinegar marinade is definitely a nice change up... I'm so glad you enjoyed, Kayle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken and rosemary is an underrated combo, IMO. I love the two together. The vinegar is interesting - I've done something similar years ago, but the details escape me. I'll definitely have to give this a try - it sounds terrific. Super tutor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of chicken and rosemary myself - there's something about rosemary that just brings out the flavor the chicken. And a friend of mine suggested I might want to try this recipe with cider vinegar as well - which sounds mighty tempting! I'm glad you enjoyed, John...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bintu @ Recipes From A PantrySeptember 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM

    One to try. I love easy meals like this. And how on earth did you get your creamy mashed potatoes to look so good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Bintu - I definitely recommend! For the potatoes, I used a terrible amount of butter and the potatoes had cooled quite a bit by the time I plated so they really held their form...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice to meet you Katherine! Your meals look absolutely delicious and I love this chicken dish. I've cooked chicken in wine, but have never used vinegar. It certainly looks good! Great tutorial Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a chance to meet Katherine, MJ, and I can definitely recommend marinading with vinegar :) Next time I want to try it with cider vinegar...

    ReplyDelete