My 3-year-old niece, Harleigh, has been transformed from a vivacious, energetic, happy little imp to an exhausted, partially paralyzed and overwhelmed little child whose home has been the hospital since November 22, 2013. On a routine medical checkup for a possible ear infection, doctors discovered a Glioblastoma tumor growing down through Harleigh's brain. She has undergone biopsy and sugary, suffered a stroke that crippled her right side and is currently undergoing chemo therapy to prevent future regrowth or spread of the tumor. Followup radiation and ongoing physical therapy will likely be necessary. And yet despite all this, Harleigh still smiles, still laughs - and somehow still makes us laugh.
You can read more about Harleigh and her story on her Caring Bridge page. You can also check out the Help 4 Harleigh Facebook and Tumblr pages for more photos and memories.
We're all hoping and praying for the best - and no one wants to think about financial troubles. Yet in reality, eventually the bills have to be paid. Mike's family has generously created a Give Forward page to collect donations to help alleviate the young family's financial burden and any contribution is greatly appreciated. But I hope there's more we can do.
For those of us who can't be in Cleveland at Harleigh's bedside, the #Help4Harleigh Online Bake Sale is our opportunity to make a financial and emotional impact. My niece's medical medical needs are expensive and even with medical insurance and both parents continuing to work, the bills are still piling up faster than they can get paid. Harleigh and her parents also need emotional support, to know they're not alone in this seemingly endless battle for their daughter. With your help and generosity, I know we can not only provide financial relief, but also lift their spirits by joining together to support them with this bake sale. My financial goal is to raise $3,000 for Harleigh, but perhaps even more important, to generate a tidal wave of encouragement and support. You and me - together - can do this!
To make the #Help4Harleigh Online Bake Sale a success, I need YOUR HELP! It doesn't matter who you are or where you live - there are lots of ways to help!
Participate in the Bake Sale
- Donate baked goods, new cookware or new cookbooks - sign up here by 2/16/2014
- Bid on the items in the bake sale - starts 2/18/204, see below for details
Promote the Bake Sale
- Tell your friends, friends, family and coworkers about the bake sale
- Share the bake sale on your social spaces and/or blog - pledge your support here
- Dedicate recipes and photos to Harleigh by pinning them to the #Help4Harleigh Pinterest board
- Leave your comments, thoughts and prayers on her Caring Bridge page
|Bake Sale Details|
Questions? Email me:
Spread the Word
Even if you cannot participate in the Bake Sale by donating or bidding, you can help in other ways that are just as important and just as generous!
- Spread the word about the bake sale on Twitter using the #Help4Harleigh hashtag. If people don't know about the bake sale, they can't bid!
- Share the bake sale with your friends on Facebook by liking the Help 4 Harleigh Facebook page. You'll also stay up-to-date on what's happening with the bake sale and Harleigh's treatment.
- Become a member of the #Help4Harleigh Pinterest board and then dedicate recipes and encouraging photos to Harleigh by pinning them to this board.
- Write a blog post about the bake sale and encourage your subscribers to participate. The more people who know, the faster news will travel. If possible, please include the #Help4Harleigh Online Bake Sale badge and a link back to this page.
- Add the #Help4Harleigh Online Bake Sale badge to your blog - this is an easy way to visually spread the word.
- Tell your family, friends and coworkers about the bake sale. Some people don't pay much attention to Twitter, Facebook and other social media spaces, so never underestimate the power of face-to-face conversation! Please tell everyone you know about this bake sale.
Questions? Email me: