Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Barbecue Bacon "Hawaiian" Pizza

Gourmet Bacon "Hawaiian" Pizza by @JavelinWarrior



PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Fear Conquered: Barbecue Pizza

“This is pretty good,” Boyfriend Javelin says around a mouthful. We’re at a local pizzeria for the first time and sampling a 12-cut barbecue chicken pizza.

“It’s not bad,” I say, barely able to talk around my extra-big bite. I lick the barbecue sauce off my fingers and grimace at him. “It’d be better if they didn’t use bottled barbecue sauce.” As I take another oversized bite.

“How do you know it’s bottled?” he asks.

Before I answer, I pick up another slice. Because this pizza it’s actually really good. Barbecue sauce and all. “It just tastes like the bottled stuff,” I say disdainfully. “I bet there’s high fructose corn syrup in it too.”

“You don’t know that,” Boyfriend Javelin objects. But he nods anyway and half-rolls his eyes. “Probably though,” he agrees.

“I could make a much better pizza,” I say confidently. It’s the kind of brash statement one makes when one will never have to actually deliver on such confidence. “The toughest part would be making my own barbecue sauce,” I go on. “I don’t know why they even bother with the bottled stuff.”

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

A little over a year later and I still haven’t delivered on my brash statement. In fact, I haven’t even attempted. I’ve got the homemade barbecue sauce, I’ve got the homemade pizza dough - it’s kind of sad I haven’t added a little chicken.

However, I’d much rather eat bacon or pineapple over chicken. So this pizza has become my answer to all barbecue pizza lovers. Forget chicken, forget the ham and forget bottles and cans - get serious with smoked bacon and fresh pineapple.

Cooking Chopped Bacon in Cast Iron Skillet

As for the barbecue sauce, I use a sweet and tangy homemade version crafted from common kitchen ingredients. The sauce is really the foundation of flavor for this pizza. Add sweet, fresh pineapple and crispy smoked bacon and you’ve got something resembling Hawaiian pizza. Only so much tastier than the ham and tomato sauce cousin sold by most pizzerias.

If you’re serious about your pizza, the homemade dough is must - the flavor of the dough is so much better than the pre-made stuff and if you keep a couple balls of dough in the freezer, you can make this pizza on a whim.

Pizza Dough After Pre-Bake

And if you do bust out a bottle of barbecue sauce, don’t be surprised if some overly brash dude with a smart mouth gobbles down half the pizza. All while virtuously pointing out all the benefits of making your own barbecue sauce from scratch. Just tell him to keep quiet. (It won’t be the first time.)



STORY  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Photo Tutorial

6 Rashers of Smoked Bacon
6 ounces sliced smoked bacon.

Diced Bacon
Dice the bacon.

Cooking Chopped Bacon in Cast Iron Skillet
Fry the bacon until crispy.

Crispy Bacon, Draining on Paper Towels
Drain the bacon pieces on paper towels.

2 Cups Grated Mozzarella Cheese
Grate 8 ounces of part-skim mozzarella cheese.

1/2 Red Onion, Peeled
Peel and halve a medium red onion.

Sliced Red Onion
Slice onion into pieces and separate pieces.

Fresh Pineapple Chunks
You will need approximately 3/4 cup of diced fresh pineapple pieces.

Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Measure 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce.

Pizza Dough Reformed into Ball
Prepare the pizza dough on a lightly floured board.

Pressing Out Pizza Dough with Fingers
Press out dough with your fingers or a rolling pin.

Pizza Dough fully Stretched
Stretch dough to a 12-inch diameter.

Pizza Dough After Pre-Bake
Prebake the pizza dough on a ventilated pizza pan for 3-4 minutes at 475F.

Barbecue Sauce Spread Over Pizza Crust
Spread barbecue sauce over prebaked pizza crust.

Sliced Red Onion on Pizza
Sprinkle onion pieces over barbecue sauce.

Grated Mozzarella Cheese and Bacon on Pizza
Cover onions with grated mozzarella cheese and crispy bacon pieces.

Bacon "Hawaiian" Pizza Ready to Bake
Top pizza with pineapple chunks.

Gourmet Bacon "Hawaiian" Pizza by @JavelinWarrior
Bake pizza for 8 minutes at 475F until cheese is melted and crust is crispy. Serve immediately.



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Barbecue Bacon "Hawaiian" Pizza

    by Javelin Warrior
     Prep Time: 30 min
     Cook Time: 12 min

Ingredients (12-inch pizza)
  • 1 ball (1/4 recipe) homemade pizza dough
  • 1/4 cup homemade barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella, shredded
  • 3/4 cup fresh pineapple pieces
  • 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced and sautéed until crisp
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 475℉
  2. Prepare the bacon, pineapple, onion and cheese, roll out the pizza dough and pre-bake the crust (for dough recipe technique and tips, see my homemade pizza dough)
  3. Spread the pre-baked pizza crust with barbecue sauce and top with onion slices; sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the onion and top with the crispy bacon pieces; top with the diced pineapple
  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted; slice and serve immediately
Powered by Recipage



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE

Hungry for Tips?
  • Hot Oven: Turn on your oven to preheat before you do anything else. You want your oven toasty hot before you pre-bake your crust. If you're using a pizza stone, place it in your oven on the lowest rack before preheating.
     
  • Air Pockets: If your pizza dough puffs up dramatically during the pre-bake (as mine often does), just gently press the air out of the pockets before adding the toppings. Once you finish baking the pizza, unsightly air pockets disappear entirely (yet keep the dough crisp and almost airy).

    Pizza Dough After Pre-Bake
     
  • Toppings: Don't overload the pizza with toppings - keep the chunks of pineapple small and don’t go crazy with cheese or barbecue sauce. If you overload the crust, it will become soggy. Which is sad. Don't make sad pizza.
     
  • Red vs. Yellow: If you don’t have a red onion on hand, you can always use yellow. The contrast in color isn’t as dramatic with the pineapple and white mozzarella, but the flavor is virtually the same.

    Sliced Red Onion
     
  • If your mozzarella is too wet or mushy to grate, place the cheese in your freezer for 10-15 minutes, then grate.
     
  • I find part-skim mozzarella cheese melts just as beautifully as whole-milk mozzarella (and actually melts better than fresh buffalo mozzarella), so I use part-skim to cut out some of the fat. I used to use fresh buffalo mozzarella (although it wasn't truly fresh because it was still packaged), but it tended to coagulate into pools when it melted...

    2 Cups Grated Mozzarella Cheese



Scan to view recipe on your mobile device


13 comments:

  1. Hi Mark!
    When I saw this Barbecue Bacon "Hawaiiian" Pizza in my sidebar, I just knew I had to stop over for a slice! Oh my heavens you even made your own sauce:) Personally, I'm not much of a pizza nosher. However, the notion of bacon and pineapples and homemade sauce just sends me over the top. Oh goodness for sure! It may have taken a year but, you nailed it! Thank you so much for sharing, Mark...Now of course I'm craving a slice:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pizza, Mark! I know it tastes miles better than the good one from that restaurant. And my stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you dropped by, Louise, and I'm pleased you enjoyed. I am a big pizza fan, but I'm happy I could appeal to an infrequent fan :) But I think it's hard to go wrong when there's bacon and pineapple involved...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, Heather, and I'm so glad it caught your interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pizza! I virtually never make my own -- I live withing a few minutes walk or drive of 4 great places (a new one just opened up!), so it's much easier to order takeout. But good BBQ pizza is rare, so I really should give this a try someday. Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually been thinking about your pizza all day, Mark and may even prepare it for Marion. I'm thinking of roasting the Pineapple first, what do you think? Sad Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roasted pineapple sounds delicious - the small pieces though do tend to roast during the brief bake time (due to the extra-hot oven), so it may not be necessary to roast the pineapple in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually don't make my own pizza as often as I eat it from other establishments ;) But in theory, I could. But I do love to sample different crusts and different combinations - which often give me ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mark, now that you mention it, it does make so much more sense:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems homemade pizza has been popular of late, with two of us also doing them for made with love Monday. Bbq sauce pizzas haven't yet hit the Netherlands, but reading about yours, they will be very soon. Thanks for sharing this wonderful alternative, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you liked the barbecue sauce switch-up, Mel - it's quite common to find here in the US, although it's mostly paired with chicken. If you get a chance to try it, let me know what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon AND Pineapple! What a pizza!! Love everything about it Mark. Great, great pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's hard to go wrong with pizza period and bacon and pineapple are always delicious. I'm glad you enjoyed, MJ!

    ReplyDelete