Thursday, May 15, 2014

Homemade Egg Salad

Egg Salad Sandwiches



PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Fear Conquered: Homemade Egg Salad

“What are you doing?!” my mom gasps in horror, rushing to grab the pot from my hands.

I stare dumbfounded at the cracked, hard-boiled eggs draining in the colander. I don’t even remember doing it. “I forgot,” I croak, horrified at the little dents and cracks staring up at me. I quickly set the pot down and step aside to let my mom examine the graveyard of once perfectly smooth, hard-boiled eggs.

She half-groans, half-laughs. “Oh gosh, Mark. These were the last of the eggs…” She quickly checks each egg, turning each critically and slumping a bit with each inspection. “I don’t have any more,” she says, a tiny bit of frustration seeping through. “I need at least six to be able to do this.”

Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs

It’s Easter and I’m supposed to be in charge of cooking hard-boiled eggs for dying. So we can make little hard-boiled egg-sheep for my nephews. Still hot with embarrassment, I watch mom gingerly lift out six eggs with barely perceptible cracks. The survivors. But honestly, it’s a wonder any survived my rigorous dump-and-drain routine.

“I think we can use these six,” my mom says, her voice a little desperate. “Six,” she moans, “out of fourteen!”

“Sorry, Mom,” I say. And I am. Really, really sorry. “I’m so used to draining and peeling the eggs after cooking them, I didn’t even think about it.”

Which is true. I never dye eggs. But I hard-boil eggs for peeling all the time. Especially this year. I’ve been making egg salad for the past six months and since the eggs are the most time-consuming part, I’ve become exceedingly efficient at dumping, draining and peeling eggs.

And that’s great - if you’re making egg salad. Less so if you plan to dye the eggs.

But if you do end up destroying your hard-boiled eggs in a frenzy of draining efficiency, don’t fret. Make egg salad. It’s so easy, you can whip it up before you have time to cry over broken eggs. And it’s so beautiful, you can serve it to guests in a lofty homemade sandwich tower. Or as an appetizer with cracker rounds. Or - my favorite - as a simple lunch spread between slices of hearty bread.

Homemade Egg Salad by @javelinwarrior

Fortunately, mom is forgiving and a few cracked eggs can’t dampen Easter. “It’s probably a good thing we didn’t try to make 14 sheep,” my mom even confides as we finish transforming the last of the surviving eggs into a surprisingly adorable pink sheep. “These are a lot of work.”

“That’s true,” I say, still feeling bad about the eight mangled eggs. “But regardless, next year I think you should drain the eggs.” She laughs and agrees.

“Unless we’re making egg salad,” she says and we both smile. Because that I can do.



STORY  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Photo Tutorial

1 Dozen Hard Boiled Eggs
12 hard boiled eggs.

Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs
Peel the eggs.

Egg Diced
Dice the eggs (I recommend an egg-slicer).

Diced Eggs Added to Bowl
Add the diced eggs to a medium-sized bowl.

Finely Diced Celery
Finely dice 2 stalks of celery.

Finely Diced Onion
Finely dice 2 Tablespoons of yellow onion.

Handful of Fresh Dill Fronds
Mince fresh dill (you will need 3 Tablespoons).

1/2 Cup Homemade Mayonnaise
You will need 1/2 cup of homemade mayonnaise.

Egg Salad Ingredients in Bowl
Mix all the ingredients together along with 4 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard, 2 Tablespoons of drained capers, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper.

Homemade Egg Salad by @javelinwarrior
Thoroughly mix all the ingredients, then cover and chill the egg salad for at least an hour.

Egg Salad Sandwiches
Serve chilled egg salad with fresh homemade bread.

Egg Salad Sandwiches



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Homemade Egg Salad

    by Javelin Warrior
     Prep Time: 30 min
     Get Shopping List
     

Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 12 large hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
  • 2 celery stalks, finely diced
  • 2 Tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
  • 3 Tablespoons minced fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 5 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons drained capers
Instructions
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and thoroughly mix. Check seasoning and adjust as necessary. Cover and chill the egg salad for at least one hour; serve chilled with homemade bread.
Powered by Recipage



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE

Hungry for Tips?
  • Hard Boiled Eggs: Boiling eggs is the hardest part of this salad. And peeling the eggs is probably the most time-consuming. So check out my hard boiled eggs tutorial for technique and tips.

    Peeled Hard Boiled Eggs
     
  • Egg-slicer: You can slice and dice the eggs with a sharp knife if you insist, but a good egg-slicer makes quick work of an otherwise tedious task. With this admittedly single-purpose gadget, It only takes about 2 minutes to dice 12 eggs.

    Egg Diced
     
  • Mustard: Some people don’t love mustard. Me, I love it. So I use a full 4 teaspoons for my egg salad. But if you’re less of a mustard fan, start with 2 teaspoons and go from there.

    Prepared Yellow Mustard
     
  • Homemade Mayonnaise: There is one sure-fire way to improve almost any salad - homemade mayonnaise. So if you're serious about making a tastier egg salad, make your own mayonnaise. Then worry about everything else.

    Homemade Mayonnaise in Food Processor


8 comments:

  1. Bintu @ Recipes From A PantryMay 15, 2014 at 4:47 AM

    Your cracked egg story had me seriously cracked up. Delish sandwich Mark.

    I need to swap my bowl of porridge for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean | DelightfulRepast.comMay 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

    Mark, your egg salad looks fabulous! I love egg salad, and your addition of capers has me craving an egg salad sandwich right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, Bintu, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the story :) It was quite embarrassing at the time - dumping all those eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed, Jean, and I love capers in most cold picnic salads. They add a little something extra and so simple to do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hard-boil a mess of eggs once a week -- and have a hard-boiled eggs almost every morning for breakfast. And sometimes make egg salad -- such tasty stuff, isn't it? Haven't dyed eggs for Easter for years, though! Fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should make hard-boiled eggs more often because I love them and they make such a great quick meal. Even if not making egg salad. So glad you enjoyed the post, John...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm.... love the little egg dicer. But I'm of the camp that smashes them on the side of the mixing bowl with the back of a fork - Egg Carnage :)


    and... I should say... Seasonings for me is just salt and pepper, but I DO like the bit of fresh dill there.... I'm thinking today is an egg salad day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried prepping the eggs with a fork before, Toby. That would definitely bring a different texture to the salad and egg carnage indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete