Thursday, June 12, 2014

Homemade Deviled Ham Salad

Deviled Ham Salad Sandwich



PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Fear Conquered: Ham Salad

“This salad really doesn’t go with these rolls,” Boyfriend Javelin says. He’s swallowed one bite of the ham salad sandwiched between two halves of a dinner roll. “This needs something heartier,” he says.

I sigh and shrug. “Well, it looks good,” I say. “And ham salad is typically served in buns when you see it.” At least when you see it as part of a sandwich platter. Which is, to be fair, typically when one sees ham salad.

Boyfriend Javelin takes another bite and makes a face. “They just don’t go together. The bread’s too sweet.”

I roll my eyes and continue editing the photos of the very sandwich he’s eating. “They’re the only rolls I had in the freezer,” I say, a bit sharply. “And I thought it was good when I tried it.”

“Never mind,” he says and crams the rest of the sandwich in his mouth. “If you don’t want to hear...”

“I DO want to hear,” I say emphatically. And a little hotly. “I’m just saying, that for the photo, I wanted to use a bun. But I can see how maybe a multi-grain bread might be better.”

Boyfriend Javelin rinses his plate off in the sink. “I shouldn’t have said anything…” he says, still a little wounded.

Deviled Ham Salad

I sigh again, but try not to let it come out. Because sometimes - and sometimes frequently - I am the tiniest bit sensitive about unsolicited feedback. Even if I claim I’m not. “No,” I assure him - and myself. “It’s fine. I agree - I think the salad would be better on a more savory bread. Less sweet.”

In fact, despite the photos you see here, I’d recommend serving this ham salad on a multi-grain bun or between a couple slices of hearty multi-grain bread. It’s not that the salad couldn’t be served in a dinner roll if that’s all you’ve got, but someone - not pointing any fingers - might offer some unsolicited feedback. And an unsolicited face or two.

Besides, multi-grain bread and buns are a wee bit more healthful than buttery sweet dinner rolls. And they’re even easier to make. So ignore my photos and take Boyfriend Javelin’s advice - serve this ham salad with a hearty bread.



STORY  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Photo Tutorial

Diced Ham in Food Processor
Add 1 1/2 pounds cubed smoked ham to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.

Ground Ham in Food Processor
Pulse the food processor until the ham is evenly ground.

Diced Celery and Yellow Onion
Finely dice 1 stalk of celery and 1/2 of a medium yellow onion.

Minced Fresh Dill
Mince a handful of fresh dill.

Deviled Ham Salad in Bowl
Combine the ham, onion, celery and dill with 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise, 4 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard, 1 Tablespoon red chile paste and 3 Tablespoons drained capers.

Deviled Ham Salad
Thoroughly mix the salad and chill for at least 2 hours for best flavor.

Deviled Ham Salad Sandwich
Serve the salad on a bun or roll of choice and optionally garnish with lettuce, tomato and cheese.



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Deviled Ham Salad

    by Javelin Warrior
     Prep Time: 30 min

Ingredients (makes 8 sandwiches)
  • 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham, cubed
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 celery stalk, finely diced
  • 1 Tablespoon minced fresh dill
  • 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
  • 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 4 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 1 Tablespoon red chile paste
Instructions
  1. Add the cubed ham to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse the food processor until the ham is evenly ground
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the ground ham with the remaining ingredients and throughly mix; cover and chill the salad for at least 2 hours for best flavor
  3. Serve the ham salad on multi-grain buns or bread and optionally garnish with lettuce, tomato and cheese
Powered by Recipage



STORY  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE

Hungry for Tips?
  • Smoked vs. Unsmoked: You can really use whatever ham you like, but I prefer a smoked and sliced ham. The smokey flavor adds an extra depth to the salad and sliced ham just cuts down on the prep work. Granted, there isn’t much work involved.
     
  • Red Chile Paste: I love the subtle spicy heat this paste brings to this salad. There's heat but no burn - and I like the flavor better than chile powder or cracked black pepper. So I strongly recommend using chile paste. But if you cannot find the paste (or if you just don't want to use it), add a pinch or two of chile powder instead. It's not the same, but in a pinch...

    Red Chile Pepper Paste
     
  • Homemade Mayonnaise: There is one sure-fire way to improve almost any salad - homemade mayonnaise. So if you're serious about making a tastier ham salad, make your own mayonnaise. Then worry about everything else.

    Homemade Mayonnaise in Food Processor
     
  • Capers: Capers add a unique briny sharpness to this salad that is both subtle yet clearly missed when the capers are left out. So unless you're prejudiced against capers, add them to the salad.

    Capers for Sauce



Scan to see this recipe on your phone

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade deviled ham! When I was a kid I liked the stuff in the can with the red devil, but now that I'm older I've put aside childish things. ;-) Fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had the canned stuff although I always have trouble walking away from a ham salad sandwich tray without picking up at least one ;) I'm sure the salad comes from a can or "bucket", but I still can't resist... So glad you enjoyed, John!

    ReplyDelete