Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Long Arm of Charity #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 4: Charities

Have you ever thought, “I don’t know any starving people so how can I possibly help them?”

The amazing thing is, there is a charitable organization for just about any cause you can think of. Unicef, Children’s Miracle Network, United Way, Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Save the Children, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity - just to name a very small handful. And many charitable organizations will happily accept your donations online - which makes lending your support as easy as a click. Even better, most support monthly automatic contributions so those of use with organizational problems can ensure timely donations even when we forget.

It’s incredible to me that I can help someone on the other side of the globe with just a click. I may not be able to visit an impoverished village in South Asia - but I can bring them water right from my laptop. I may not know how to build a house for a family of 10, but I can help raise the roof without ever leaving my apartment. And I may not know anything about preventing the spread of malaria, but I can help find and send trained professionals with nothing more than a click.

Please Help

These charities do the hard word. They locate the needy, collect the funds, attract the talent, smooth the way with governments, brave the elements, deliver relief - and then start the whole process over again. I wouldn’t even know where to start with tackling diseases, natural disasters, famine and war relief - and no doubt I would waste a lot of time and money starting from scratch. But with so many amazing charities already eager and organized to tackle such problems, the hardest decision is which charities to support.

Even that question can be answered with a few simple Google searches. There are organizations that rate charities based on a whole variety of metrics which means I don’t even have to painstakingly sift through and compare financial reports, executive compensation and marketing ROI. With these handy charity ratings and comparison sites, I can quickly narrow my search to a handful of charities (or a huge armful), click through a couple donation forms and done. Talk about amazingly easy.

Better still, I don’t have to stop with just remote monetary donations. Thrift stores like Goodwill are everywhere and willing to accept every kind of item imaginable. That beautiful set of Pyrex bowls I never use - I can donate. Those extra shirts I never wear but love to look at - I can donate. Those movies I never watch but love to collect - I can donate.

The Matrix Films

It doesn’t even stop with possessions - even if I have nothing to give, I can donate time. There are online resources which make it so easy to find volunteer opportunities based on locations and skills. Food pantries, hospitals, nursing homes, churches and so many other places are always eager for volunteers. And it costs nothing.

Thank you, God, for the amazing selection of charitable opportunities. Thank you so much for making it ridiculously easy for me to help. Thank you for removing the obstacles and providing no-excuse opportunities to get involved. And help me to do more. Help me to overcome my selfishness in clinging to possessions and motivate me to give generously. Motivate me to give, give, give. Because you have blessed me with so much and given me every opportunity to share with those who need it the most.



Do you have a favorite thrift store?

No comments:

Post a Comment