Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Green Miracle #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii AquariumNephew's Birthday Party
Week 1Week 2

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 3: Grass

Growing up, I hated grass. Because it meant weekly trimmings with the lawn mower, touch-ups with the weed-whacker and green-stained shoes, hands and shirt. If someone had said one day I would be thankful for grass, I would have laughed in their face. Seriously.

Yet grass - all grass - is amazing. There’s the bright green cultivated grass for our yards with it’s soothing color, mild scent and tender blades. Then there’s the hearty wild grasses for animal grazing. And the swamp grasses for nesting birds and animals. And the dune grasses that protect against erosion. And all the decorative grasses with their colorful flowers and graceful, sweeping blades. Grass after grass after grass - and they all just pop up and grow day after day, year after year. Amazing.

Untitled

And these grasses surround me every day. I mostly ignore them, but take grass away and what happens? Soil is stripped away and all that’s left is barren rock and dessert. Nothing to feed animals, no materials for birds to build nests, no flowers for the bees, no soil for crops. Nothing to keep moisture in the ground. Nothing to protect the Earth from blazing sun. Without grass, nothing would survive for long.

Yet I take it for granted and even despise it. Grass is trampled underfoot, mercilessly hacked back by machines and hated by ungrateful teens - yet it continues to thrive despite it all. It’s such a humble and unassuming plant and yet absolutely vital to existence. And it’s free. It will start growing pretty much anywhere and grass will quickly reclaim abandoned land, protecting it from wind and water erosion. Grass - it’s amazing.

All I can say is thank you, God, for creating this incredible plant. Thanks for making it so hearty, so persistent and so soothingly green. I’m rarely grateful for this simple plant, but thank you for giving me a world covered in this green miracle - and give me more opportunities to care for, protect and share this awesome gift.



Do you have a plot of grass where you live? Is it your responsibility to care for it? Do you prefer cultivated, "pure" grass or a yard of "weed" grass?


No comments:

Post a Comment