Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Birds of a Feather #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 8: Birds

Peacocks, swans, eagles, ostriches and penguins. Sparrows, crows, robins and hummingbirds. Chickens, turkeys, geese and vultures. The variety of birds alone is astounding. Every shape and color and feather. Some can fly, some can swim, some can do neither. Big, small, soaring or swimming, they’re all amazing.

Some clean up dead carcasses on our highways. Others hunt pesky rodents and insects. The softest pillows and comforters are stuffed with down feathers. Many breakfasts include a serving of the ever versatile egg. And who could live without chicken? Chicken salad, chicken soup, chicken sandwiches, chicken tenders - I don’t want to live in a world without chicken.

But perhaps even more amazing, birds have revolutionized travel. Without sea gulls to study, the Wright Brothers would never have discovered the key principles of flight. And without those principles, the first plane wouldn’t have lifted off the ground at Kitty Hawk and none of the jumbo jets connecting every corner of the globe would exist today. All that, from humble sea gulls just being humble sea gulls.

Untitled

In case that’s not enough, birds are fascinating to watch. I love to watch hawks soar above my head or sparrows hop across parking lots in search of that single crumb. Or geese flap their wings in a spectacular display of power and beauty. Or penguins dive with silky, fluid precision. Or the remarkably tireless zip-zip-zip of the delicate hummingbird. Birds are awesome.

Thank you for creating birds to fill your world, God. Thank you for creating such a variety of birds with so many different purposes. Thank you for revealing the gift of flight through birds - and enabling us to harness the amazing power of flight. Help me to use the gift of flight to spread your love to the farthest reaches of the globe. And when I get tired of boring chicken, annoyed with bird droppings and frustrated by geese crossings, remind me to be grateful for so many incredible and beautiful birds.



What's your favorite bird?


No comments:

Post a Comment