Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Incredible Nut Job #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 6: Almonds

I’m sure I’m not the first person to realize this, but aren’t almonds amazing? Maybe you’ve never really thought about it or maybe you’re not a nut person. Or maybe you have a nut allergy. But to me, these tiny, mild-flavored, crunchy bundles are one of the most amazing foods on the planet.

Almonds are packed with protein, fiber, essential vitamins and antioxidants. They’re good for the heart, good for the skin, good for regulating blood-sugar and weight and just a small handful will stave off hunger for a couple of hours. Even better, this unassuming nut is widely available from grocers in a whole variety of preparations and packages - and you can snack right out of the bag. Unlike eggs or most other sources of protein, there’s no cooking or prep involved. Just open and go.

Almonds

When I climb out of the pool, the first thing I reach for is my container of almonds. Before an intense workout, I first grab a handful of almonds. When I’m facing a rumbly tummy and no meal in sight, I grab a handful of almonds. I add almonds to my granola, almonds to my cookies and almonds to my salads. And when I’m sick of cow milk, peanut butter and wheat flour, there’s almond milk, almond butter and almond meal. This is one incredible nut. And it’s all self-contained in one simple, pain-jane brown package.

Thank you, God, for something so amazing as almonds. Thank you for creating such a perfect little package of awesomeness - and for making them so readily available. Please help me not to dismiss or take for granted this wonderful nut - when so many will never even have access to almonds. Help me to be grateful for something as simple as an almond - rather than always craving what’s more decadent and more indulgent. And the next time I’m hungry, remind me to praise you as I reach for that bag of almonds instead of that jar of cookie butter…



What's your favorite wonder-food? Or your favorite snack?



5 comments:

  1. kellie@foodtoglowJuly 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM

    I too love almonds, but have to limit consumption as they don't agree with me in the quantities I desire. As for my favourite wonder food that would have to be kimchi. We use it in so many ways - grilled kimcheese is my husband's favourite, whereas I love it in cabbage leaf wraps with avocado, sprouts, and asparagus. Guess whose cholesterol is lowest. :-) I love your idea of #100thankfulweeks and will see how I can fit that into my blog too. You are so kind to want to spread the love in this way. But that doesn't surprise me in the least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be so sad if almonds disagreed with me because I eat them so frequently. I can't same the same for kimchi - I haven't had it since I was a child. But every now and then I see a recipe using kimchi that grabs my attention and I'm reminded that I need to give its another try. And I'll try to watch for a version of something like #100ThankfulWeeks with your blog and share when I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almonds are great! Love them as is, as a garnish on food, or ground up and made into a pie crust (or other baked goody). Fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do need to try the almond pie crust - I've never done this but I know I've had it some place and it's delicious. The almonds are so delicate in flavor and lend to a specially textured crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayle (The Cooking Actress)July 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM

    mmmm love almonds!

    ReplyDelete