Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Last Straw #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 5: Chores

Some mornings I wake up and it’s hard to focus on anything because there’s so much waiting to be done. There’s a recipe I need to test, another I need to photograph, bills I need to pay, a blog post I need to write, photos I need to edit. I need to workout, I need to respond to tweets, I need to check my calendar for birthdays, I need to take the car in for an oil change. And then there’s all the little stuff.

Chores

But I’ve found when I’m struggling to face the day and find the energy to get through, there’s an amazing gift waiting to help me - everyday chores. I know it might sound silly, but when all the big things seem to pile up to an unbearably crushing load where just one more little chore is certain to break me, it’s actually that one little chore that changes everything.

Like washing dishes, scrubbing floors or vacuuming. Or cleaning bathrooms, watering plants, grocery shopping, baking bread or making granola. Or my favorite - unloading the dishwasher. Something so satisfying in putting away clean dishes in their designated spots. And by the time I complete one of these simple, mindless chores, I remember why I am alive and what I should be doing with my life.

Chores are like warmup for life - opportunities to serve others and and demonstrate love. I could leave the dishwasher for someone else to unload. Or I could skip cleaning the bathroom. Or ask my other half to pick up groceries. But then I would miss all these opportunities to love and serve. And frankly, with all the love and mercy God has shown me, why would I want to lose out on even one of those opportunities?

Love

By the time I’ve completed one of those warmup chores, all the rest of the day falls into perspective. My day isn’t for me - it’s for Christ. My life isn’t for pleasure or self-gratification - it’s for God. And the success of my day isn’t in accomplishing every task on my checklist - it’s making the most of every opportunity to live and share the message of Christ’s love.

Thank you, God, for giving me chores to jumpstart my day. Thank you for all the little, everyday opportunities to serve and show love - and help me to rejoice in unexpected tasks and additions to my workload. Instead of dreading or offloading work, help me to seek out new opportunities to serve and to trust you to equip me with the energy and resources I need.



Do you have a favorite everyday chore? Or a morning routine to jump-start your day?


No comments:

Post a Comment