Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Joyful Noise #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 10: Music

A world without water is terrifying. A world without grass is desolate and barren. But what about a world without music? Can you imagine a life without notes, rhythm, melodies and harmony? A world with just noise. Just a jumble of sounds, grating every moment of the day. Nothing to relieve it. No violins or cellos, no pianos or trumpets, no harps or flutes, Sousaphones or drums. Just random, angry sound.

Yet, mercifully, there is music. Notes strung together for a cello, evoking such powerful emotion I’m reduced to tears. The joyful brightness and confidence of a trumpet jubilantly singing above all other instruments. The rhythmic pounding of drums, the energetic dance of the bow against violin strings, or the soothing pluck of the harp. Dances, anthems, marches, lullabies, love songs, concertos, hymns - each evoking a different response.

Untitled

Music to excite and calm, music to build tension and release it. Precisely mathematical and indescribably artistic and illusive. Joyful and sad, complex and simple. There’s music for every moment. Can you imagine watching Jaws without those two simple notes? Or celebrating Christmas without carols? What about learning the alphabet without the ABC’s song? Or watching the Olympics without the triumphant theme? Music is amazing. And without it - I don’t want to live in that world.

Thank you so much for creating music, Lord. Thank you for teaching us this beautiful gift and inspiring so many incredible compositions. Thank you for giving us music to praise you, music to comfort others and music to sooth us. Guide me to always use this gift to glorify you and serve others. And when I’m tempted to use music to taunt or provoke others, remind me to treat it as the precious and gift it is. Because I could be living in a world with just grating, unending noise.



What is your favorite kind of music to listen to? To sing?


4 comments:

  1. Music is awesome -- it's the rare person who doesn't enjoy it. In fact I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't. Good post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! We've been listening to music all afternoon and it turned my down mood into a an up mood. :) I love the blues, 70's music, anything sung by a female vocalists, some jazz, and gospel. Of course this could be a long list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music fascinates me because of just what you said, John - it's rare that a person doesn't enjoy at least some form of music. Kind of like food... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the affect music can have - the same thing happens to me, MJ. I think our musical tastes would have some crossover too - I love gospel, some jazz and a lot of different female vocalists...

    ReplyDelete