Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Gasping for Air #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 13: Weakness

I swim three times a week and I work tirelessly on endurance and strength. So you'd think I would be a strong swimmer. Or at least stronger than someone who’s only been swimming a few months. And certainly stronger than the 65-year-old swimming two lanes down. But I’m not. Each day I struggle to improve with little discernible progress.

I work on my blog everyday. I cook and test recipes multiple times a week. I have an established perspective on food. And I’m always learning new techniques and experimenting with new concepts. So you'd think after 3 years, I would have a thriving blog with a thriving readership. Or at least be some kind of knowledgeable food authority. But no. My blog grows slowly, painfully, with few visible rewards.

In fact, I’m not the best at anything. I’m not the best writer. I'm not the best photographer. I'm the not most creative. I’m not the best reader. I’m not the best singer and I stink at dancing. I’m not the best speaker or the best listener. I’m not the best leader and not a great follower. I’m mediocre. I’m average. Constantly striving without attaining.

Number 1

It all sounds rather pathetic. Why bother continuing? If I’m just mediocre and average and will never be the best, why strive to improve? But that’s just it - I’m grateful I’m NOT the best. I’m grateful I have weaknesses. If I were the best swimmer, I might become proud and arrogant, obsessed with my own strength and staying on top. Or if I were the best food blogger, I might become complacent and stop striving for excellence. If everything I touched turned golden, I might stop trusting in God and start trusting in myself. Who needs God when I’m so awesome?

But I’m not the best. I am weak in so many ways. And I’m grateful because they are all opportunities to trust in God’s power. When I feel exhausted after the first lap, I can trust God to carry me for the remaining 39 laps. When I feel small and insignificant in the great big world, I can trust God to give my insignificance a purpose. When I’m mediocre and average, I can be confident God has fully equipped me to be effective for him. And when I’m sick and broken, my God has the power to deliver me from perishable to imperishable, from finite to infinite. I am weak - and so God’s power shines even more brilliantly.

Thank you, God, for all the moments to lean on you. Thank you for not making me the fastest or the best - and remind me to keep my trust in you when I’m gasping for air. Remind me my real purpose is to love - and I don't need to be a #1 to love. When I obsess over achieving more and being the best, use my weaknesses to turn me back to you. And when I grow weary of striving without attaining, help me to remember that even in weakness, in you I will always be effective.



What's your kryptonite?


No comments:

Post a Comment