Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Love Ahead, Delays Likely #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 12: Traffic

Yep, I’m talking cars, construction, aggressive drivers and bumper-to-bumper gridlock. I know this sounds like a peculiar thing to be thankful for. It’s not like music, which is obviously pleasant. Or almonds, which are just so tasty. Or stars, which are so cool in all their awesomeness. Traffic is painful, tedious, frustrating and sometimes deadly. And so dreadful, we have entire mapping systems devoted exclusively to finding the fastest driving routes with the least amount of traffic.

When I learned to drive, I quickly concluded most other drivers were just in the way of my destination - obstacles between me and my clear path. I was always on the lookout for routes with fewer cars so I could avoid the unpredictability of other people. Which sounds pretty reasonable - except I completely missed out on the best part of traffic: OTHER PEOPLE.

Untitled

Traffic is like one big opportunity for love and kindness. It just endlessly repeats itself over and over with each new driver. Every traffic jam is an opportunity to generously wave in others ahead. Every honking horn is another chance to resist anger and instead exercise self-control. Every driver who cuts in front is a chance to happily be last instead of first. And jarring every brake-check is an opportunity to be thankful it wasn’t a crash. Every driver is someone new to love - no matter what the circumstance.

It’s true - being courteous and loving in traffic isn’t going to solve world hunger or save a rainforest. And no one may even notice. But it’s my everyday opportunity at love - and I don’t have to search it out. It’s just there, one driver at a time. And while I could do without the deadly crashes time delays, I wouldn’t want to miss out on all those everyday chances to practice love. Because love is never time wasted.

So thank you, God, for giving me these everyday moments to love others. When I’m stuck in construction traffic and late for an appointment, refocus my attention on all the opportunities for love. When other drivers are discourteous, keep me from retaliating and strengthen my self-control. Remind me to be grateful for every opportunity to be last and help me to always treat other drivers with the same respect and kindness I would want to receive. Give me the courage to go from driving to loving...



How do you keep calm while stuck in traffic?


No comments:

Post a Comment