Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Awe #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 11: Clouds

I hated clouds as a kid. Clouds meant the possibility of rain. Rain meant I couldn’t go swimming, play outside or walk to the library. Clouds meant the possibility of thunder and lightening. Which meant I could get hit by lightening. Or I might be frightened awake by a really loud clap of thunder. Clouds meant the possibility of a tornado. And a tornado could destroy my home and take away everything I loved. And the older I got, the more clouds seemed to get in the way of plans.

The beauty of clouds was lost on me. The billowing columns of white piled on top of each other, the wispy clouds stretched over an azure blue sky or the luxuriously dark and churning storm clouds framing flashes of lightening - each beautiful and each completely wasted on me. I was far too busy hating clouds even consider what life would be like without them.

A cloudless world where each day I would wake up to brilliantly blue skies - and relentlessly blistering sun. Each night, crystal-clear twinkling stars - wrapped in unbearable cold. No clouds to shield me from the sun and or hold in the heat at night. Nothing to deliver rain or snow. Just a cloudless, dessert planet scorched and frozen alternately.

Dramatic clouds like this are just one more reason I love #Indy #Blessed

While clearly unappreciated by some, clouds are brilliant. They float above the earth collecting moisture - and then return to water the earth once again. Clouds provide much-needed shade during the day but still allow sunlight to get through to plants. At night, clouds act as a blanket to hold in heat and prevent rapid freeze. And clouds manage to do all this while still looking beautiful. So many different shapes and shades, so many every-changing patterns. And what would a sunrise or sunset be without a few clouds to catch the light? Some of the most gorgeous moments on the planet involve clouds.

Thank you, God, for creating something so incredible as clouds. Forgive me when I grumble against them or blame them for ruining my plans. Help me to always to praise you when I see them. When the clouds bring rain and I want to be swimming, remind me to be thankful. When lightening or tornadoes strikes, help me to spot the opportunity to help those affected. When thunder wakes me at night, give me courage to trust your protection. And when I marvel at a beautiful cloud-swept sunrise, may I use the day to glorify you.



So what do you like to do on a rainy day?


No comments:

Post a Comment