Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Porcelain Bowl #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 14: Toilets

Plug your nose, avert your eyes and cover your ears if you must - but I’m serious about this. Indoor toilets are an amazing luxury. Consider the alternatives: an outhouse exposed to the elements. Or worse, digging a hole downstream (and hoping your neighbors do the same). And or even more unthinkable - chucking excrement into the streets every morning and evening. Because in the not so distant past, that’s exactly what we did. And there are still places in the world - even in modern countries - where outhouses and pits are still common.

Most of us consider toilets to be a dirty essential. Something to be hurriedly cleaned and then shut behind closed doors and hidden from sight. I’m not saying I want a toilet in my living room, but can you imagine life without indoor toilets? They may never be the topic of polite conversation but toilets are an incredible invention I’m rarely thankful for. Which is surprising considering all the sanitation and convenience benefits ushered in by the common commode.

Toilet

In fact, the mildly unpleasant job of cleaning the toilet once a week sounds like a peer delight when compared to cleaning an outhouse. Or picking a path through excrement-plastered streets. Or living with all the horrible diseases spread by flies and rats living off those filthy streets. Frankly, I can happily squeeze a little cleaner, twirl that scrub-brush and wipe down porcelain surfaces in exchange for relief from the other, far more dreadful, alternatives still plaguing many parts of the world.

Thank you so much for blessing me with modern indoor toilets and plumbing, God. And forgive me when I grumble about cleaning the remarkable commode. When I’m frustrated by plumbing problems, help me to remember the millions who cope each day without toilets. When I turn up my nose at untidy public restrooms, remind me of all the reasons I have to be grateful for access to this convenient luxury. And when I’m unsettled by sanitation fears, calm me with the knowledge that I am far better equipped to handle whatever I encounter than many other parts of the world.



Did you know in some countries you pay to use public restrooms? And in many countries you're lucky to have a single tiny "water closet"? I'm currently blessed with 3 toilets in my apartment. How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment