Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Above the Clouds #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17
SmartPhone
Week 18
Untitled
Week 19

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 20: Flight

I was staring out the window of the plane, listening to the ever-increasing whine of the engine as the pilots prepared for their take-off run. Sheets of rain swept across the wing, illuminated by the bright under-belly landing lights. And I felt the same mixture of fear and excitement I always feel while waiting for takeoff - I’m about to leave the ground and travel hundreds of miles per hour in a fragile yet ponderously heavy machine that relies simply on physics to remain airborne. I am about to fly.

The engine while gets louder and the plane speeds forward so fast I’m pushed backward into my seat. The wet ground zips past in a blur and suddenly I can see the airstream arc over the wing as the planes gently tilts upward. And I grin. Because I’m flying and it still feels like a miracle. Up, up, up and all the lights from the city below disappear as the plane slips into the clouds.

I love flying. It’s incredible to me that the laws of physics will allow a multi-ton plane to defy gravity and leave the ground. And to stay aloft with nothing but air under its wings for support. It amazes me I can travel at hundreds of miles per hour in a pressurized cabin yet feel as if I’m barely moving. And an even bigger miracle is that someone found a way to do it. That someone took the risk, spent the money and devoted so much time and energy to making the impossible happen.

Plane

Thanks to the miracle of flight, I can travel to the other side of the planet in a matter of hours, not weeks. I can cross oceans without ever touching the water. I can send care packages to remote villages or rescue orphans from around the world. Water, mountains, desserts - they’re no longer a barrier. With the miracle of flight, what can possibly stand in my way of helping others?

That’s what I’m thankful for. The awesome privilege of flight makes it possible to go nearly anywhere. Which means it is possible to help just about anyone. That’s a limitless opportunity. And yet people are still dying because they can’t get to medical supplies, food, water and shelter. Despite airplanes that can take us anywhere, people are still waiting for compassion, kindness and love.

Thank you for planes and flight, God. Thank you for equipping the world with such a powerful means of transportation and help me to seize opportunities to use this incredible gift to reach others who need help. When I start grumbling about long boarding lines, my seating position, my lack of legroom or the length of the trip, remind me of all those who are still waiting for basic necessities and re-energize me to use this gift to serve.



Do you like to fly?



No comments:

Post a Comment