Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Brave New World #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 18: Computers

Computers are often maligned as complicated and technical, unexpectedly freezing and causing mysterious, unexplained troubles. And then there’s the internet and all the associated evils of instant access to so much. And top things off, viruses, malware, phishing, scams and a whole variety of other admittedly scary security issues threaten to our lives and identities.

In many ways, computers represent a departure from the “good ol’ days” of the non-computer world. Good ol’ days filled with nostalgia for more personal communication, more family time, more moments chatting over the picket fence with neighbors. No Facebook, no email, no texting. If you wanted to talk to someone, you called them on the telephone - the REAL telephone.

SmartPhone

It’s true - computers have changed our lives and the good ol’ days are gone. But I’m grateful for this new world of computers. Computers have made it possible to connect even remote areas of the world. Computers have brought countless automations to our daily lives: automatic bill pay, climate control, self-defrost, redial, GPS navigation, spell-check, desktop printing and more. Computers have also made the rapid dissemination of information possible - I can check the latest news from around the world, research the latest information on a health concern and instantly share a recipe with friends around the world. Much like the Roman’s network of roads, the invention of the printing press or the horseless carriage, computers have transformed our world.

Thanks to computers, corruption and oppression is harder to keep hidden - videos, tweets and photos surface from inconspicuous cell phones, going viral within hours or days. Thanks to computers, providing assistance for disaster relief on the other side of the planet is as easy as a click. Thanks to computers, awareness of ideas and issues can speed across states, countries and continents in mere seconds. Which means, I’m now blessed with nearly limitless opportunities to share my faith - and with a nearly limitless audience around the globe. Powerful stuff - and it’s all just a click away.

Thank you for computers and all the change they have enabled, God. Instead of griping over all the problems, help me to gratefully put these amazing tools to work for your purpose. When I’m tempted to misuse computers for greed, vanity, lust or gossip, refocus my heart to spot new opportunities for serving others. And when I long for the good ol’ days and cringe at change, open my eyes to new potential and new opportunities for serving you.



How have computers enriched your life today?



No comments:

Post a Comment