Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Frozen #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17
SmartPhone
Week 18
Untitled
Week 19
Plane
Week 20
Empty Apartment
Week 21
Untitled
Week 22
Finally. Got my coveted voting sticker. Now I need food!
Week 23
Triplets
Week 24

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 25: Snow

I was seven. Everything was covered in white. And not just a dusting of snow, but a thick blanket. At least 2 feet deep. It came up past my waist and if I knelt down, I could hide behind in the trench of the shoveled walk. The snow plows left enormous mountains at the end of each street - almost as tall as a house. And the snow had drifted so high against the side of the garage, I could walk right up the snow drift onto the roof. I was seven and It was the coolest thing in the world.

At night, even with just a crescent moon and twinkling stars, it stayed unusually bright out. My dad explained the snow reflected all the ambient light in the atmosphere, but it was almost as if it never got dark. And because it was so bright out even at night, my mom let us play in the snow until well past our bedtime. Tunneling through the snow, building a snowman on top of the garage and sledding down the slope in the back yard. I was seven and all I could do was hope that winter would last forever.

Of course it didn’t. It was March so the snow melted within two weeks and what had once been a glittering, undisturbed blanket quickly became melting piles of ice and dirt. The drift beside the garage disappeared, the snowman toppled over and our tunnels collapsed. And within a month, the first spring flowers were poking up in the flower beds. Yet during those few snow-wrapped days, a seven-year-old fell in love with snow.

View from Apartment

Twenty-plus years later and love isn’t typically what I think of when I see snow. Shoveling drives, brushing off cars, scarping off ice, skidding on icy roads. Frozen pipes, cracked cement, potholes, frosty-cold floors, wind-chapped skin. And tracking all that salt-sodden snow indoors, melting into little puddles everywhere. Only to dry and leave a salt-lick behind. Twenty-plus years later and I’m certainly not in love with snow.

But the kids are right. Snow is amazing stuff. Amazing, because all that moisture drifts down as snow instead of destructive frozen hail. Amazing, because it’s not torrents of eroding rain. Amazing, because every snow flake drifts down different from the previous one and lands soft-as-you-please against everything it touches. Unlike rain, it doesn’t automatically sink into or slide off whatever it touches. Unlike hail, it doesn’t damage everything it impacts. And amazing snow even insulates by creating tiny pockets of air throughout, providing a true winter blanket to shield plants and even some animals.

I couldn’t appreciate this as a kid, but snow also creates a ton of employment opportunities. While the ground is frozen, many landscapers and construction crews stay employed with snow removal - as long as there’s snow to remove. All those company parking lots, grocery stores, malls, schools and churches rely on snow plows to keep their doors (and lots) open. So while the rest of us are huddled indoors wishing the snow would melt, plow crews are racking up paid employment hours. Pretty awesome for simple frozen moisture.

Thank you for the incredible substance of snow, God. Its beautiful and ingenious, both in delivery method and the final ground covering. Please continue to bless the world with snow. When I’m annoyed with scraping, shoveling, poor traction and frozen everything, help me to be grateful for all the benefits of this special moisture delivery system. When I’m tempted to beg for a snowless winter, remind me of all those who depend on snow for employment. Instead of grumbling, renew my amazement and help me to appreciate simple snow.



Can you believe it's been 25 weeks already? Count 'em. Because I had to ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment