Wednesday, November 12, 2014

T-T-Triplets #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17
SmartPhone
Week 18
Untitled
Week 19
Plane
Week 20
Empty Apartment
Week 21
Untitled
Week 22
Finally. Got my coveted voting sticker. Now I need food!
Week 23

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 24: Babies

Today’s post is brought to you courtesy of baby triplets. Because without triplets, I probably wouldn’t have seen my way to write this post and I’d probably still be a little scared of babies. I’ve never felt very good with babies - or kids, for that matter. I never know what to say or do. If they want to play a game or talk, I’m a little terrified of how to respond. Sometimes I make an excuse and hurry away. Sometimes I just rely on my other half to do take over - because he’s always been good with kids.

And when it comes to caring for kids, I’ve always been quite content to leave the parenting to the parents. Because the parents know what they’re doing and I really don’t. I’d probably wash the bottle wrong, put the diaper in the wrong disposal bag or bounce when I should sway. Because really, I’m just an observer.

Except all that has started to change. Our friends recently had triplet boys and this growing trio has pushed me from comfortable spectator to active helper. And no one is more surprised than me. If you had asked me last year how I would feel about feeding, changing, entertaining and keeping an eye on triplets - on my own, without help - I would have laughed. And probably run. Or at least insisted on backup support.


But for the first time yesterday, I watched all three on my own for 4 hours. No backup, no meltdowns, no disasters. Just me and three babies. It was a little terrifying, a little exhilarating and such a relief. To realize babies aren’t so scary. To have made it through and still be smiling - despite fussiness, spit-up and dirty diapers. 4 hours with triplets and suddenly no more fear.

I’m still a little gun-shy of toddlers and pre-schoolers I’ve never met. But with more triplet afternoons to come over the next few months and years, I have no doubt these three will forcefully overpower my fear and yank me off that spectator bench. For good. And it’s about time.

The triplets are amazing. Not because they’re triplets (although that’s amazing) and not because they’re extra cute and sweet (although they’re both to me). They’re amazing because they’re babies. And every baby is amazing. Little bundles bursting with life, growing so fast, filled with nearly limitless energy and curiosity. Overcoming handicaps as if they don’t exist, fighting for life no matter what the diagnosis, boldly forging ahead without any assurances. And without words, they teach love and hope and joy and patience and courage.

Babies are amazing. And I’m really blessed to have triple amazing in my life.

Thank you for the amazing gift of babies, God. Thank you for bringing the triplets into my life and for giving me an opportunity to face and overcome fear. When I’m anxious about how to relate or talk to kids, help me to overcome my doubt and fear with love. When I’m frustrated and annoyed by kids, remind me of your incredible patience with me. Instead of avoiding kids, motivate me to share with them the same great love you have shown me.



Are you a kid person? And have you ever faced a fear and realized it wasn't anything so dreadful?

No comments:

Post a Comment