Wednesday, November 5, 2014

We the People #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17
SmartPhone
Week 18
Untitled
Week 19
Plane
Week 20
Empty Apartment
Week 21
Untitled
Week 22

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

How about all the amazing little things each day? The simple, everyday stuff. The stuff I totally take for granted and just expect to be there. And yet stuff that so many people still don’t have - and may never possess. My God gives me so much and it’s time to praise him for all he’s done for me.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. And I encourage you to swipe the idea and make it your own. And if you let me know when you post or what hashtag you use, I’ll be happy to share your posts. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 23: Voting

It’s a drizzly, dark, cool day and even with the extra hour of sleep, I’m still exhausted. Grumble grumble.

But I’m up this early because the polls are only open on one day from 6 AM to 6 PM. (Except for all those early voting days I forgot about.) And my day today is already so packed. Meeting after meeting, a whole slew of stuff I’m already behind on and somewhere in all that, I need to fit in time for a workout and meal. It never fails: elections always fall on the worst possible day. Grumble grumble.

And of course! The lines at the polling location are out the door. This isn’t even a presidential election! And it’s raining. And it’s cold. And someone at the front of the line isn’t even at the right location - but doesn’t want to step aside. How can voting be this difficult? Grumble grumble. Grumble.

An hour later and I’m finally at the machine. But it’s got a glitch. Some of the buttons for the candidates don’t work. Pushing one selects the wrong candidate. I start muttering about voter tampering and making things difficult for the little person. No wonder no one bothers to vote! Grumble grumble grumble. GRUMBLE.

Finally. Got my coveted voting sticker. Now I need food!

So I voted. For all the difference it makes. I’m in the political minority for my voting district, so it’s not like my vote really counts. Or that it will be counted accurately. Or like I’d ever know. But even if by some miracle the candidates I vote for get into office, they’re all corrupt anyway. All the candidates are. They’ll say anything to get into office and then fight tooth and nail to stay in office. And if there are any good ones left in the mix, they get chewed up and spit out so fast, they never accomplish anything anyway.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!

But despite all that, I’m actually really thankful I get to vote. Sure, there’s corruption, voter tampering, voter fraud, imperfect candidates and hassles along the way. But at least for now, I still get to vote. For now, the government authorities don’t inherit their positions based on bloodlines. For now, they’re not appointed by the military or removed by mob-rule. For now, no one individual has supreme authority.

It’s also true, my single vote doesn’t carry a lot of influence. But it’s one peaceful opportunity I’ve been given to make my voice heard. No one forces me to vote for a specific candidate, no one punishes me for voting differently than the majority and no one person’s vote is worth more because of social position, wealth or notoriety. And no matter which candidate is elected, the supporters of opposing candidates aren’t rounded up and executed.

Marcellus from Ben Hur

That makes voting a pretty amazing privilege. And while all the grumbles above are based on previous experiences, this year was painless and glitch-free for me. No long lines, no rain, no hassles. Just more reasons to be grateful.

Thank you for letting me live in a country where my government allows me to vote, Lord. Instead of grumbling over what’s broken, help me to affect change with all the resources you have given me. When I am frustrated and feel ineffective against corruption, fraud and lies, remind me that no earthly powers or schemes can ultimately succeed against you. When I’m tempted to badmouth candidates or government officials with opposing political views, teach me instead to be kind and patient, treating them with the same love and respect I crave. Instead of grumbling when my candidate loses, help me be grateful for my voting privileges and energize me to seek out opportunities for love, service and peace-building.



How was your voting day?


No comments:

Post a Comment