Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Logging, with a B #100ThankfulWeeks


Fish in Hawaii Aquarium
Week 1
Nephew's Birthday Party
Week 2
Untitled
Week 3
Please Help
Week 4
Chores
Week 5
Almonds
Week 6
Stars
Week 7
Untitled
Week 8
Bed in Red
Week 9
Untitled
Week 10
Dramatic clouds
Week 11
Untitled
Week 12
Number 1
Week 13
Toilet
Week 14
Family Collage
Week 15
Harleigh in Hospital for Treatment
Week 16
Sign of the Fish
Week 17
SmartPhone
Week 18
Untitled
Week 19
Plane
Week 20
Empty Apartment
Week 21
Untitled
Week 22
Finally. Got my coveted voting sticker. Now I need food!
Week 23
Triplets
Week 24
View from Apartment
Week 25
Thankfulness
Week 26

You’ve heard of #100HappyDays? Well, I stole the idea and adapted to fit my blogging schedule.

Every day is filled with reasons to be thankful. And yet the majority of my day isn’t spent being thankful. That’s got to change. God sent his son to save me - HUGE reason to always be thankful. And I’ve been freed to live a new life through Christ, released from fear, doubt, shame and self-reliance, equipped with love to serve others and blessed with all kinds of daily tasks and jobs to express my love. And that’s just the big stuff.

This is #100ThankfulWeeks to praise Him. I’m sharing one simple thing I’m thankful for each week. Because there can never be to much thankfulness.



Week 27: Blogging

“Blogging” is anyone who shares something in an online log from time to time. And this online log or “web log” is what is now known in internet slang as a “blog”. People keep these online logs about all kinds of things. Like opinions or recipes or technology or crafting or news. And there are no rules. Not really. Some bloggers post something every day. Many post a few times a week. Some post sporadically on whatever topic inspires them at the moment. Some exclusively curate already published content while others focus exclusively on creating original content. Some bloggers post to a private group while others create content for companies or sponsors. It’s just all blogging and anyone can do it.

Unlike handwritten logs and journals from thirty years ago, blogs can have an enormous audience. Which means, blogs have enormous communication potential. For anyone. Because anyone can start a blog on just about any interest. Whatever is published is quickly indexed by search engines and a humble fascination with chocolate chip cookies can quickly attract millions of eager readers. And some of those readers may share one of the bookmarked cookie recipes with 200 of their closest Facebook friends. And one of those friends samples the recipe and discover an amazing new cookie. All because a simple someone shared a simple passion in a simple blog.

That’s powerful stuff. And it doesn’t have to be just cookies. Blogs are equally powerful in sharing ideas, opinions, politics and religion, transforming one voice into an internet megaphone of influence for millions. And unlike verbal speeches or television news, most blog content remains readily available indefinitely. So what was written five years ago continues to grow its reach and influence new readers for years to come. That makes every blog post just as important as the last or the next. Because who knows who will see it - and when? Someone battling fear, someone frustrated by a cookie recipe, someone desperate for answers or even someone struggling not to give up - they’re all just a click away.

Comments

That’s what I love most about this thing called blogging: a chance to be helpful. I don’t have millions of readers, but there are millions I can help and it starts with just one. I’m just one person, but I can share what I have. I have the time to write, to edit, to photograph, to publish, to promote. I the skills to figure it out, to troubleshoot my own internet woes. I’m just one simple nobody but to somebody I can help, that will be enough. And thankfully, that can be enough for me too.

Thank you for the opportunity to blog, Lord. Thank you for blessing with me three years to write, to share and to help. When I start obsessing over numbers, refocus my energy on sharing. When I’m distracted by lack of growth or success, encourage me to remain dedicated to creating useful content. When I’m scared of what I’m not and what lies ahead, reassure me of your guidance and watchfulness and reinvigorate me to find new ways to serve.



Do you keep a log or journal, online or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment