Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Rustic Meatloaf Sandwich

Rustic Meatloaf Sandwich



PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Fear Conquered: Leftovers

It’s been a long time since food appeared on here. Which is sad because a blog about food, without food, just seems wrong.

There’s a reason for the hiatus from food and it’s really just life. That, and well, when something takes a back seat for a while, it’s hard to rev it back up so it can take more of a priority. I haven’t been posting recipes for so long, it’s hard to get back into the swing of things.

I also needed to seriously give some thought to my priorities for the blog. Like, why am I blogging? Why am I bothering with creating recipes, taking photos and sharing?

The whole life-getting-in-the-way thing started with our wedding in 2014. That was followed by the honeymoon. Then came a set of adorable baby triplets (read about them here) and family commitments. Then travel to Kansas City (and those most awesome Westin hotel ever), holidays and more fun with the triplets. The spring of 2015 brought new adventures with new service opportunities at our church. And then more travel.

Back of El Capitan

That was mid-2014 to mid-2015. Then we decided to put down real roots in Indy and buy a house. So came the house-shopping followed by a new house. Then travel out west. Then all the things associated with moving into a new house. And then just when life couldn’t get any less complicated, I decided to follow my love of vintage into an Etsy store. So now I’m freshly married, living in a new house, and running a new Esty store. And I’d really like to add writing a novel and a cookbook to the mix.

Yeah, so just normal life getting in the way of the blog.

But throughout, there’s been one big question in my mind about the blog. What am I doing with this thing? Why am I bothering?

While I mulled it over, I went back and cleaned up my blog. I rephotographed and reformatted really old recipes. I added scannable codes to the bottom of every recipe post to make it easier to pull them up on a phone or tablet. And because I was getting sick of building shopping lists off my own recipes, I created shopping lists for every recipe.

I also re-read some of the early blog posts from 2010 when I first started. It’s been five years since I posted my very first entry and a lot has changed. Social media exploded, my niece was born, I discovered Corning Ware, I started taking photos, faith happened, amazing people happened. And I’ve been able to share all of it with you.

And that’s what I want to keep doing. I want to share something with the world. I have this hope, however naive, that somehow I’m helpful to someone out there. Most of the time, that’s much to ask for. But maybe once in a while, when the stars align and things are timed just right, I manage to share a nugget that means something to someone else. Maybe it’s a recipe, maybe it’s a tip, maybe a different perspective or outlook. But it makes a difference.

I want to do that whole helpful thing better. Faster, less complex recipes. Fewer narcissistic and inwardly-focused pieces about me. More consistent proof-reading. And if I can manage it, more interesting social media activity. Because who wants to follow banal blog-post announcements? Not this guy.

So why am I bothering with the blog? To get better at being helpful.

Rustic Meatloaf Sandwich

So I’ll start with a new recipe. In this case, it’s a super-quick and easy recipe involving leftovers. Because leftovers often get an undeserved bad rap. “Really? Meatloaf again?” Words you hear if the meatloaf manages to make it out of the back of the fridge before it spoils. Grumble, grumble, leftovers. Yeah.

The solution is repurposed meatloaf in the guise of a rustic, hand-crafted sandwich. Sure, there’s meatloaf, but there’s also crusty bread and melty cheese. And it’s not like the slab-on-a-plate meatloaf presented for Monday’s dinner. It’s a grab-able, crave-able, stick-to-your-ribs kind of sandwich. Layered between slices of homemade bread, meatloaf has never looked better.

Says the guy who loves meatloaf and bead. But seriously, delicious meatloaf, melted cheese, fresh bread - what isn’t to love? And because it’s leftovers, there’s nothing to make. Just a couple things to layer. So easy, it’s really not a recipe.



FEAR CONQUERED  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Photo Tutorial

Slice of Homemade Meatloaf
Place the meatloaf and marinara on a small, oven-safe dish and heat in the oven at 400F for 5 minutes.

2 Slices Homemade Bread for Toasting
Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes.

Marinara Sauce Spread Over Toasted Bread
Spread the toasted bread with heated marinara sauce.

2 Slices of Provolone Cheese Added to Sandwich
Place the meatloaf on one slice of bread and top with the provolone cheese.

Sandwich Ready to Toast
Place the second piece of toasted bread on top of the meatloaf and provolone; toast the sandwich in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Rustic Meatloaf Sandwich
Serve immediately.



FEAR CONQUERED  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  HUNGRY FOR TIPS?

Rustic Meatloaf Sandwich

    by Javelin Warrior
     Prep Time: 5 min
     Cook Time: 9 min

Ingredients (1 sandwich)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400℉
  2. Add the meatloaf and the marinara to a small, oven-safe dish; place the slices of bread on a baking sheet
  3. Heat the meatloaf and marinara in the oven while also toasting the bread for 5 minutes
  4. Remove the meatloaf, marinara and toasted bread from the oven; spread the marinara over each slice of bread; assemble the sandwich in the following order: toasted bread, meatloaf, provolone and final piece of toasted bread
  5. Return the sandwich to the oven on the baking sheet and toast for another 5 minutes; serve immediately
Powered by Recipage



FEAR CONQUERED  |  PHOTO TUTORIAL  |  PRINTABLE RECIPE

Hungry for Tips?
  • Microwave and Toaster: Instead of toasting the bread and heating the marinara and meatloaf in the oven, you can instead toast the bread in a toaster and heat the marinara and meatloaf (and melt the cheese) in a microwave. This may be slightly faster but I don’t think the results are quite as…rustic.
     
  • Cheese: I love provolone for this sandwich - it’s just the perfect compliment to meatloaf and marinara. But you could also use cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, whatever. Because it’s really about the melty comfort than anything.



Scan to view recipe on your mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment